Elle and the attend 1 thing sound alright, they stand above most of the stuff that clogs up youtube when you search for 'DJ Gregory'. I think I can safely say I prefer the Osunlade, Franc Roger, Broken Beat, Kerri Chandler side of things if we're talking 2005 US House etc but every producer churns out b-sides. To be fair I can see why UK producers took a slight interest in Gregory.

Benny Bunter

two things from me:

first, a youtube playlist of 500 UK Funky songs I made

...and a mix to go with it

http://soundcloud.com/benny-brassic/uk-funky-oldskool-session-2015-benny-brassic

1. Casanova (Fuzzy Logik remix) - Monique Lawrence
2. Lost in your house - Miss Fire
3. Addicted - Peremapay & Dee ft. Cleo Sol
4. Track 2 - Wiley
5. House Girls 7 (No war inside) - Mad One
6. Holograph - Roska
7. Friend of mine - Major Note$
8. Dejavoodoo (Geeneus remix) - Beezy
9. Touch my (Mr Majika mix) - Mos Wanted Mega ft. Janee
10. Get up - Jook 10
11. Get off the wall (Delio D Cruz remix) - Kcat
12. I want it all (Ed Case UK Funky mix) - Trak D
13. Nitro - Lil Silva
14. Learn your ABC - Maddison
15. Report to the dancefloor - Rapid
16. Stompa - Seany B
17. Motherboard - Champion
18. Cooking - Enrique Benitez
19. Bongo Jam instrumental - Crazy Cousinz
20. Creeper - Unknown dub
21. Hurricane riddim - Funkystepz
22. Smile - Funky Twinz ft. Angel J
23. Unfinished business - Aphrodisiax
24. People keep dancing - Maddison ft. Murdz 86
25. Get a hit - Scottie D
26. Signed and sealed - Courtney Dennie
27. Preacher's daughter - Mr Mathz

NATO

Listening now Benny, big mix - enjoying it.

What do people think about this slated UK funky revival? Seems a dumb idea to me, as if Roska and Donaeo are going to be able to do anything fresh and new with it at this stage.

Benny Bunter

What do people think about this slated UK funky revival? Seems a dumb idea to me, as if Roska and Donaeo are going to be able to do anything fresh and new with it at this stage.

yeah doubt it will properly take off. funkystepz are trying it though...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02gf24g

...quite nice i suppose, better than their recent attempts at a techier house sound for sure.

who else has been talking up a revival?

Benny Bunter

yeah i agree but cant help comparing them to the older stuff and finding them lacking. they had a crazy run of classics, everything up to and including the Royal Rumble EP at least was gold.

but they never really did comfortably fit in anywhere funkystepz did they?

trilliam

its cause they could do everything man, soulful, rinse pop, fidget grime, electro funky.. how quickly would you download a best of funkystepz mix, like, without even seeing the tracklist, jus cause u know that mix is gonna be everything BUT boring

1 trinity hill
2 i got you
3 caution

ftr

Benny Bunter

nice one benny! where is wiley track 2 from?

cant be sure but i think it came from the infamous 'zip files' leak of 2010.

obviously he knocked it out in 5 mins but its a sick riddim, shame he didn't make more funky really.

also turns out the creeper refix on there is by Maxwell D!

denoir

Looks good Benny, will check asap :) Sounds like Funkystepz are attempting to create a fusion of funky and deep tech, not sure it's the way to go tbh. I like "Redemption" (free download on their soundcloud)

There has been a lot of talk about funky revival but not many tunes being made as far as I know. Some of the Donae'o FB vids are vibes though: he's been in studio with Ill Blu as well

Check out this mix by MA1 for some new funky incl. a funky/afro bit I did with a mate...really feeling the DJ Naughty one

https://soundcloud.com/djma1/imminent-sounds-mix-001

Unknown - Selecta (Exclusive)
DJ Naughty - Not Naughty (Exclusive)
Josi Chavez - Amapunk (Exclusive)
Roska - NDOW (Exclusive)
Dryman and Denoir - The Present Moment (Exclusive)
Champion - Expensive (Exclusive)
Scratcha DVA - Keys 2 My House (Exclusive)
Fuzzy Logik - Roleplay (Exclusive)
Funkystepz - Its Not Right But Its Ok Remix (Exclusive)
MA1 - Undertone (Exclusive)

trilliam

truth^

enjoyed that ma1 set though, the only way for funky to work imo is to kinda mesh itself with the afrobeats scene, however afrobeats is very musical n i dont think a lot of these guys tryna use it to resurrect their careers have that kinda ability

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was thinking reading that Thump piece about so solid and heartless members meeting in a pub and chatting about how they're going to bring garage back for that night etc. - how quickly sounds become obsolescent, confined to retro nights, with an ageing audience. Funky was last really popping in what - 2010? 2011? Its sad really how some artists are amazing but they get historically marooned, playing the same old tracks to a crowd that only wants those tracks.

I'd welcome any return of such geniuses as Funkystepz, Ill Blu and Crazy Cousinz though. I think Deep Tech is perhaps too restrained a sound in some ways for producers like Ill Blu to really strut their stuff.

NATO

I'm so confused by all this talk of a revival. Where exactly is the demand for this stuff IRL? Funky isn't going to work in the current set up of House raves, it's not the vibe that this generation of ravers are at all bothered about. Hyped up Vice/Boiler Room/Red Bull articles & interviews & random radio features do not make a scene

Have there been any of those things? I thought it was just some of the old guard trying to relive past glories/make up for the fact it went fucked before they got their dues.