viktorvaughn

I need more mixes blending african house stuff with funky!

And more pointers on african house in general - any good intro mixes that might explain the different traditions to me? I have the Spoek Mathambo one which i am enjoying a lot.

Safe:cool:

mos dan

fact music

!!! m-m-m-ma-mercston.. was just listening to his mixtape again the other day, an underrated one that. early days, but i might conceivably be able to get into ghetts' finally if funky beats force him to slow down a bit.. lol

the thing is that to me aswell

Dego and Seiji make broken beat rather than straight up house and broken beat seems like a little, somewhat insular genre tangential to the main flow of the continuum and mocked by many for its self-contained tastefulness (not me).

BB was never tasteful...not anymore than UKG anyway...

highly, clever musically (which isn't a bad thing)...but to me...that was some raw, gutter 'get on the dancefloor and sweat s***' lol

that fuzzy logik tune in the morning (?) that marcus nastys played a few times is proper BB influenced imo.

as I was saying...it will be glorious...though it's not produced as well as some BB tunes. it's the next logical step especially with this over 23 policy. next it'll be over 25's lol. they wanna aspire to be sophisticated and dress good. it won't be long before the champagne starts pouring

BUBBLY BUBBLY lol

if BB guys get involved in Funky then they'll f*** up the place (in a good way). a lot of the current people wouldn't be able to keep up with the production values (in a good way lol)

As noted earlier in the thread, Alex Phountzi from Bugz is one half of Green Money.

Seiji's remix of Jazmine Sullivan is much more raw than Crazy Cousinz'.

Broadcite have a show on Rinse now, don't they?

I think there was an element of self-sabotage in the Broken Beat scene. A lot of them had been around a while and had perhaps been through the processes of other scenes (like drum and bass), so I got the impression most of them fought against the idea of being a "Broken Beat DJ" or "Broken Beat Producer". So there are very few landmark Broken Beat mixes. People like Seiji and the Bugz never put out a whole album of their big Broken Beat bangers. Things would have perhaps been different if such things had happened.

Bugz did a mix CD for Breakin' Point magazine too. I'll try and up it. Quite a bit of crossover with their Fabric mix though.

up that mix please. I tried to start a BB rolling thread long time ago but got locked off lol

as stated in others genre names can dead off the music. this is like the reverse of what Kode has done

funky is prob good for BB's image (if you buy into the 'continuum must only be made by ppl living in estates' thing) - makes it seem like its being 'validated' and not just something for ageing b-boys/'classy' jazz-funkateers etc. id personally like to see guys like IG, or kaidi do some funky, though i doubt they will - might make them do some more 'immediate' sounding tracks. what ive heard from kaidi lately seems a lot more traditional, not really much going on in the way of BB rhythms or programming, which is a shame.

this is their time. if they wanna get their sound out to as many people as possible than they now have a 2nd chance

the only problem is

and Goya - their Ammunition - has long since closed down

somehow they need to re-open that s*** cos they could be blowing Funky heads' minds with some of their s***

gotta love this quote (I'm aware of the sarcasm lol)

Yeah - better to keep Funky on that raw gutter grimey street shit like Crazy Cousinz remixes of Shontell.

No, broken beat isn't really nuum, which shows the (admitted) limitations of the model. It doesn't cover everything, never tried to!

nuum is deadout

1. how well the nuum does for core movements (ukg, grime, hardcore, jungle) but how badly it copes with offshoots (broken beat, dubstep, w*nky etc). i say 'cope,' what tends to happen is because it doesnt cope it pushes them away, when in fact it should have provision to accept them as edge cases

Some funky DJs seem to play the housier end of broken beat. Reckon it's due for a resurgence

yup

BTW, 2562's background isn't garage, it's broken beat.

wasn't it techno?

early days, but i might conceivably be able to get into ghetts' finally if funky beats force him to slow down a bit.. lol

Ghetts ain't that fast come on :rolleyes:

the attitude in funky, on the pirates from the mcs is amazingly different and refreshing compared to the war reports of grime and the in jokes and hosting toasting of dubstep.
the return of pretty, stush girls and some right old characters to plastic people thru beyond was great too, seeing girls rush the floor for certain tunes, stuff like 'frontline' and 'do you mind' as well, that return of feminine energy, is great, darkness, gets very dull very quickly as by it's nature it needs to be balanced with colour, else it can't exist, so the current balance is great.

hints right too, west london lot were breaking up house way before north east and bedford got on it, although course this stuff is after grime while the west london stuff is after garage.

huh? what? can someone confirm that there were actually FEMALES at a Rinse organised night? I don't believe this lol

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
2562 told me his main background was broken beat when I interviewed him for woofah

tom c is a brilliant bloke and a brilliant producer, dying for him to do some broken funky. Might send him some bits to get started

Ory

warp drive
funky needs more dancehall vibes imo, both vocally and riddimatically. fingaprint had a bit of that going with "the print", seems to have been forgotten now tho..

Client Eastwood

2562 told me his main background was broken beat when I interviewed him for woofah

tom c is a brilliant bloke and a brilliant producer, dying for him to do some broken funky. Might send him some bits to get started

I remember now, he used to be on the 313 list. Was his Monochrome - mine a kill dem on DS1. . . (edit tom churchill that is)

this will come

funky needs more dancehall vibes imo, both vocally and riddimatically

if it's not happening already. Funky is quite open

that link mighta just cost me a million pound from the amount of music I'd have to buy

but why don't they do it in Flac or Wav?

interesting

I dunno who Tom c but 2562 is a badman to the fullest