boomnoise

♫
oh dear :(

as the quasi official conduit of cooly g information i can announce that Dub Organiser Eps 2 & 3 will be in Bm Soho tomorrow.

the term 'will' includes the possibility that they might not be.

but they should be.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Know one of the things that I'm loving about funky right now? The return of (melo)dramatic string sounds to the 'nuum. The more weird/artificial the better.

BareBones

wheezy
as the quasi official conduit of cooly g information i can announce that Dub Organiser Eps 2 & 3 will be in Bm Soho tomorrow.

the term 'will' includes the possibility that they might not be.

but they should be.

has anyone been down there? they're not listed on the bm site. i really hope 'tease' makes an appearance on one of these eps.

franz

diggin' the cooly g mix this evening. surprisingly techy at points, in a good way.

are they really carding and turning away 24 year olds at these nights? that sounds crazy to me.

Simon78

Bad news Queen of Sheeba. Migraine Skank got played about 6 times at Chockablock and the crowd were loving it. :(

Really good night though.

Elijah

Butterz
Bad news Queen of Sheeba. Migraine Skank got played about 6 times at Chockablock and the crowd were loving it. :(

whys is that bad news? Everyone knows its not a brilliant piece of music, but it makes people happy and entertains them. Isnt that what music and going out is for?

QueenofSheba

Keep It Funky!!

Not really bad news.... Its the crowd Chockablock is catering for. Gracious K is a lovely guy too. I also heard he got clearance from Defected.... Haven't asked him how true this is. Not really bothered. His track is nowhere near the worst of them.

Really enjoyed Scratcha's burial last Thursday though. Truly funny. We discussed it further on Friday's show too. Plenty of laughs.

Tim F

What are the "really bad" nursery grime tunes?

(quotation marks not specifically directed at Queen of Sheba - though I'd be keen to hear your opinion - but just for the general consensus that there are a lot of them, always supposed to be much worse than "Migraine Skank" or "Jump In The Middle and Skank" (which I really like!) or "Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes")

"Ring-A-Rosy"? I haven't heard that yet, nor the Donaeo version.

Are there any others?

Without having plumbed such hypothetical/actual depths, I mostly feel warmly disposed to all of this stuff. It puts me in mind of that period of proto-grime crews being silly as often as they were scary, stuff like "Course Bruv" and "Bouncin' Flow".

And my favourite verse on Static's "Charge (Remix)" was always Mighty Mo's...

gumdrops

i didnt like them at first but i really like the KIG tune now. and migraine skank too. im sure theres others that are worse but those two arent bad at all. and the way ppl go off when they get played in a club is great. theyre a lot of fun. co-sign on the proto grime comparison. no doubt why funky ppl hate them, cos theyre worried it might be a sign of things to come. i cant see that happening though as theres so many good vocal tunes out at the mo too.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
What are the "really bad" nursery grime tunes?

(quotation marks not specifically directed at Queen of Sheba - though I'd be keen to hear your opinion - but just for the general consensus that there are a lot of them, always supposed to be much worse than "Migraine Skank" or "Jump In The Middle and Skank" (which I really like!) or "Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes")

"Ring-A-Rosy"? I haven't heard that yet, nor the Donaeo version.

Are there any others?

Without having plumbed such hypothetical/actual depths, I mostly feel warmly disposed to all of this stuff. It puts me in mind of that period of proto-grime crews being silly as often as they were scary, stuff like "Course Bruv" and "Bouncin' Flow".

And my favourite verse on Static's "Charge (Remix)" was always Mighty Mo's...

Well, 079 Me by LJ and C.Los is pretty awful, albeit in an entertaining sort of way. Ring-A-Roses imo is almost as bad, but bear in mind I've only heard it a couple of times so far. It actually strikes me as something that could put people off on the dancefloor in certain circumstances, very off-kilter. As said before I feel the Migraine Skank is much more enjoyable as a dance than a song, but should note that increasingly it's stuck in my head.
Ghetts - Came In The Game that was posted upthread isn't terrible as such, but is certainly awkward sounding, sort of like a first draft or blueprint for something that isn't finished yet. Although that's perhaps not so much nursery-grime in the novelty sense as it is just a general attempt to mix funky with grime MCing..
Also, some may disagree with me, but I reckon Too Many Man by BBK is pretty weak; the lyrics and the music both obviously had the potential to be good, but they seem to have come off just a bit half-baked. But again, there is probably a debate to be had as to whether it's ful-blown funky, or funky-influenced grime, and yadda yadda yadda.

After all that griping, I should say that I'm really quite feeling Maxwell D - Blackberry Hype! :D Best of the bunch so far along with Heads, Shoulders.. and Tribal Skank I reckon.
I do get the impression that there are more of the poorly-rated tracks out there, and am unsure how hard I want to press in trying to hear them!

As a general point - although obv for each individual DJ it's up to them to decide what records they want to play, I do think that any semi-official, organised campaign to push these records/artists out of the scene would be very silly indeed, and show that no lessons have been learned from the grime/garage split. In many ways I find the concept of these tunes fun and endearing, think the comparison to Genius Cru type garage-rap is an apt one, and the return of these novelty-dance themed tracks has quite a summer-holiday-song vibe to me. Don't mean that as an insult at all - it probably relates to the role Ayia Napa has had in the development of the scene in some way. But Simon78 I think used the phrase 'botched together' to describe some of the tracks, and I think that's very accurate, people don't fully know how to rhyme over the rhythms yet.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Whoa that was long, never realised how much I cared. :p
As Fuzzy Logic have been getting some discussion on the thread, can I just say how much I'm enjoying Twiss at the mo? Reminds me a lot of early, ragga-flavoured speed-garage anthems like Soundbwoy Burial, RIP Groove, Gunman etc. Could def stand to hear a few more funky tunes in this vein. :D

Tim F

I'd put Swift Jay's "Toppa 5" in the same category as "Twiss" - it's the one with all the Elephant Man samples and the voice saying "Dubplate style" over and over again. The rhythm programming on it is totally sick.

Also there was that really fractured track which samples Bounty Killer but I don't know what it is.

Also love that vocal track with the lyric "Ain't no fakin'/yes, I'm Jamaican!" - "Take It To The Top" I think it's called.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I always see people talking about new tracks, presumably having heard them on radio shows - what radio shows?

I haven't listened to a new funky set in a while after being serially disappointed by a couple of Marcus shows a few months ago

QueenofSheba

Keep It Funky!!
The 079 Me track is very bad, probably the WORST!! And I think the Blackberry Hype track really spoils Silva's beat. To think Maxwell D started this music game at the same time as Wiley as well. I got sent a folder of his voiced over tracks and I can't say I thought any of them were good. But to add to that is this one about musical statues:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And in competition for WORST place of the bunch thus far has to be this one:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What I hate about them is that they're flung together with no form of foresight. When I first got into the genre in mid 05 this would've never been accepted. The genre's effect in Aiya Napa last year has led to this huge change over of artists and listeners so many of the new influx are unaware what this genre is really about. If you don't hear it on Rinse, it probably isn't authentic enough. The whole nursery rhyme rebirth is jarring too. I've been told there's I Spy and Wheels on the Bus renditions floating about!! The biggest joke for me is that my 5 year old prefers MAW & Karizma to these tracks so that says alot imo.

I also think its a liberty to spit on another person's music without consent (Don't know if Donaeo got consent but if not, Party Hard is included although it does work). Plus there is the grimey side to it all.... I see BBK Too Many Man as funky influenced Grime. But it also took me a while to warm to Versatile's Funky Anthem so maybe they're not built for my preference anyway. I may be a bit ignorant in my opinions and I believe in moving with the times but if this is what Funky is becoming I may be side stepping to UK House like many of the DJs. :(

QueenofSheba

Keep It Funky!!
I always see people talking about new tracks, presumably having heard them on radio shows - what radio shows?

I haven't listened to a new funky set in a while after being serially disappointed by a couple of Marcus shows a few months ago

These tracks are put on Facebook and YouTube. Then the 1xtra DJs play them. Why I dont know but the whole pushing UK talent forward is getting misplaced considering there is so much better out there within the genre and out.

There are many more DJs that play Funky other than Marcus. I haven't listened to his shows for apprx a month.

Try Scholar T, Funk Butcher, DJ Mystery, Rogue (female) and if you like some MC/Host flavour Angie B and Dogtanian are top pioneers within the genre that really don't get enough recognition. :D