denoir

Nothing wrong with Matt IQ's (funkystepz-jungle) style, sounds fresh to me...unlike the Carnao EP which didn't really grab my attention in any way

Listened to the Brackles show today - wouldn't really expect so much funky from him... wonder if he's also shifted his production style towards straightforward bangers?!

@hint nice one, it's actually rare to find someone who makes proper bruk these days...people who appreciate a bit of 125-130 choppage mixed with funky (+some house and ukg) should check out my Nasty.fm show from last friday
...features tracks by Fuzzy Logik, Major Notes, PepeSoup, NKC, Razzlerman, Funkystepz, Troublesome, Ill Blu, DJ Q, Matt IQ, Altered Natives, Nubian Mindz, Titonton, Osunlade, Dem2, Groove Chronicles etc etc...including some unreleased stuff as well

Tim F

The Casanova remix is excellent, really really grows on you after repeated listens. The beat is so relentless and compulsive that the singing has to just get out of the way somewhat which makes it seem less erm anthemic to begin with, but it ultimately really works as like, freestyle, or something.

Benny Bunter

Mr Solo is another guy who seems to be getting a lot of hype in the scene at the moment. When I first heard his tunes getting played on Smoove Kriminal's show last year (SK seemed to be the only guy picking them up at the time) I remember finding them a bit dry and just not all that exciting, but maybe it's time to give him another shot.

hmm, don't really like it. Very glum and unhappy vibe about his tracks that just bring me down. Not a fan of those grumbly wobble basslines in funky generally.

Benny Bunter

The Casanova remix is excellent, really really grows on you after repeated listens. The beat is so relentless and compulsive that the singing has to just get out of the way somewhat which makes it seem less erm anthemic to begin with, but it ultimately really works as like, freestyle, or something.

Yep, after a few listens the melody has started to come through and its nice. That beat though! Fuzzy Logik have a way with syncopation thats really their own, accents in all the 'wrong' places making you move in a different way.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
''Digital Dubstar - Can't Say No (Andy Jay & S-Tee Remix)(Feat. Miss Fire)''

: - O FEROCIOUS

The Andy Jay + S-Tee mix that some people on ILX are raving about is worth raving about.

Out to r/t/c for the link:

Andy Jay and S-Tee 1xtra Radio Raving Mix 02/08/11

Hannah Liston - The Middle (Dumplin Remix)
Andy Jay & S-Tee - Dirty Worker
Digital Dubstar - Can't Say No (Andy Jay & S-Tee Remix)(Feat. Miss Fire)
Andy Jay & S-Tee vs Akira - Wind Pipe
Tasha & Robbie Rue - Get Low
Animal Man - Gal Dem (Andy Jay & S-Tee Remix)
Champion - Sweet As You Like (Feat. Tasha)
J-Funkz - Untitled
Rebbeka France - Can't Wait (LR Groove Remix)
Andy Jay & S-Tee - Crunk VIP
Andy Jay & S-Tee - Summer Romance (Feat. Tasha)
Notion - Digits
Dumpin - Go With The Flow (Feat. Jasmine Knight)
Andy Jay & S-Tee - Walking on Ice (Feat. Tasha)
Daniel James - Take My Hand (Andy Jay & S-Tee Remix)

Benny Bunter

''Digital Dubstar - Can't Say No (Andy Jay & S-Tee Remix)(Feat. Miss Fire)''

: - O FEROCIOUS

The Andy Jay + S-Tee mix that some people on ILX are raving about is worth raving about.

Out to r/t/c for the link:

Andy Jay and S-Tee 1xtra Radio Raving Mix 02/08/11

Hannah Liston - The Middle (Dumplin Remix)
Andy Jay & S-Tee - Dirty Worker
Digital Dubstar - Can't Say No (Andy Jay & S-Tee Remix)(Feat. Miss Fire)
Andy Jay & S-Tee vs Akira - Wind Pipe
Tasha & Robbie Rue - Get Low
Animal Man - Gal Dem (Andy Jay & S-Tee Remix)
Champion - Sweet As You Like (Feat. Tasha)
J-Funkz - Untitled
Rebbeka France - Can't Wait (LR Groove Remix)
Andy Jay & S-Tee - Crunk VIP
Andy Jay & S-Tee - Summer Romance (Feat. Tasha)
Notion - Digits
Dumpin - Go With The Flow (Feat. Jasmine Knight)
Andy Jay & S-Tee - Walking on Ice (Feat. Tasha)
Daniel James - Take My Hand (Andy Jay & S-Tee Remix)

Yeah this is wicked, their new single 'summer romance' is on itunes now btw. I want Crunk VIP though!

gumdrops

dont totally see the greatness of that 1xtra mix but am really liking benny bs funky instros set. really well put together mix. speaking of which who do people nominate as the best funky dj? cos marcus might be the biggest, but i dont know if id say hes the best. be good if funky had its own oneman.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
COT DAMN Benny this funky vocal mix is so good!

The instros one too.

Now we all need is a two hour mix encompassing both styles and including ''It's What You Do'' by The Fives.

===

gumdrops - what would a DJ have to do to be funky's oneman? Petchy is maybe the most exciting DJ I've heard mxiing funky but that could be largely due to the MCs. Mak 10 used to be great, haven't heard him in a while. As mentioned upthread Brackles mixes loads of UK Funky nowadays and his mixing skills are shit-ot.

Benny Bunter

dont totally see the greatness of that 1xtra mix but am really liking benny bs funky instros set. really well put together mix. speaking of which who do people nominate as the best funky dj? cos marcus might be the biggest, but i dont know if id say hes the best. be good if funky had its own oneman.

Glad you like me mix, I think its the best one I've ever done.

That Andy Jay & S-Tee mix is great simply because of the sheer number of brilliant new vocal tunes on there I hadn't heard before.

As for the best funky DJ i would say Marcus is pretty hard to beat tbh when he's on form, especially the way he mixes vocal tunes together which is a very difficult thing to get right. i would also say generally the standard of mixing skills of the live FM DJs like Murdz, Jewelzy, Mad One, Bigz etc is pretty high. They've all got good skills. The Petchy sets from last year were obviously a bit of a peak but I don't think he even plays funky anymore.

Benny Bunter

COT DAMN Benny this funky vocal mix is so good!

The instros one too.

Now we all need is a two hour mix encompassing both styles and including ''It's What You Do'' by The Fives.

Aw shucks...cheers man. Will try and sort another mix out soon if I get the time.