jimitheexploder

Kinda like funky turned into deep house/minimal/trad business in some parts and really lost what made it fun I kinda think thats happaned again where this soup of ideas stradling funky/grime/bassline/garage played by people like DJ Q which was just getting going is turning into jackin' which is just electro hosue reebooted with an owl and sampler and is so close to just morphing right back into blog house ten years back and again trad tech hosue its unreal.

Benny Bunter

Kinda like funky turned into deep house/minimal/trad business in some parts and really lost what made it fun I kinda think thats happaned again where this soup of ideas stradling funky/grime/bassline/garage played by people like DJ Q which was just getting going is turning into jackin' which is just electro hosue reebooted with an owl and sampler and is so close to just morphing right back into blog house ten years back and again trad tech hosue its unreal.

this makes no sense

jimitheexploder

About it sounding a bit tech house? I dunno if you put a Dusky track or a Maya Jane Cole track into a Jackin set it wouldn't sound a million miles off and thats stright up tech house business. i could easily see it all going in that direction rather than a bassline one.

Benny Bunter

DJ Q is not 'turning into jackin', he plays a few things by Lorenzo and Nick Hannam and has done for a while but he hardly seems likely to become a straight jackin dj. Q's a one-off anyway, can't see anyone else doing anything similar with garage remotely on his level.

Using the term 'blog house' to sling mud at jackin just seems kneejerk and ignorant. How much of this stuff have you actually listened to? " jackin' which is just electro hosue rebooted with an owl and sampler" is just weak reductive criticism. I know it comes down to personal taste but I get tired of reading shite like this.

I would say that Jackin should be applauded for injecting some fun back into uk house, not the other way round as you're suggesting.

jimitheexploder

Some of it is fun, I like bits and bobs that sacrefest mix had its moments. I can see why people find it fun. Do you not hear the blog hosue in it tho? Its really simular to all that fidget stuff from years ago. Its way more in debt to that side of things than bassline to my ears its liek a 80-20 split between the two. The aggy basslines appeard in that scene as well. I dunno why you'd take that as a dig, people find that fun too some of that was alright n'all at the time if you where in the mood for it. I can just see a lot of people vering off into jackin when there is still a load of fertile ground left to explore in that garage/grime/bassline/funky mashup. Just like a load of people vered off into trad house and to my ears its a step back rather than forward. I just can't see a way out of jackin thats gonna sound any good, its either gonna veer off more into electro house or become bassline again, just seems like an odd stop gap to me.

datwun

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

I can see people not liking Jackin, everything comes down to taste, sure. But it's literally the total opposite of what you're saying.

'blog house' is a term like 'hipster house' implying a sort of ironicized detached position visa-vi an authentic dance scene. Jackin is the least hipster, the least bloggy thing happening in the UK at the moment. On a very tangible level It hasn't been blogged. Like literally my short article about it half a year ago is some of the only hipster/bloggy buzz it's got. The scene is totally local, totally dancefloor, totally druggy. It's chavvy as fuck which is the opposite of 'bloggy'. It's based around big bate pop vocal samples - the kind which massively turn off the good taste brigade.

I can hear a million ways that Jackin will develop and remain interesting, because it's got so many sides to it now (deep, jump-up, euphoric/ravey, trap-jackin etc.) You could quite easily imagine a sort of 'Dark Jackin' emerging, or a dialogue with funky, hell it's not what I'm asking for, but whose to say that there won't be a Jackin Horsepower Productions and some full lengths? - maybe then you could talk about it being bloggy.

Either way, Jackin's definitely not a step back into blog territory at the moment, and it's definitely not responsible for the decline of bassline and funky - it's a product of their decline and literally the most exciting thing happening in the UK.

Last edited:

jimitheexploder

I don't mean blog house as in the hipster thing or its being a blogged sound I just mean it in sound. That electro house fidget sound not the baggage that came with those tags. Just the sound stright up is very simular. Not fussed about whoes listening to it and how chavs are meant to be unironic for listening to a pop sample and someone else is ironic for listening to the same sample somewhere else haha.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
this stuff is basically the kind of thing that seems like it was dreamed up in a 'dark nuum music' lab. i like it cos it hits the right buttons for me and i think its done well but you know these guys had quite a specific sound they were trying to achieve. its def a keysound/blackdown sound.

i really dont get this. so what are you saying, that by contrast jackin' or funky producers don't have a specific sound that they set out to achieve when they make a track? that it all pours out in some kind of magical nuum-powered emotional stream, entirely detached from any kind of cognitive process?

of course some of these darker producers had something in mind when they were written, but dont all producers?

trilliam

you man know its all about d tech house in london right

i see y u guys r tlkin bout jackin n dat but its not popping in the capital

this is an example of well produced (not tasteful, not generic) uk house that imo can stand with any export casj

slinky bassline, sexy vocal refrain, reminds me of danny daze or bas amro, owes nothing to either

rubberdingyrapids

from a scratcha interview on kmag (made me think about some of the discussion earlier on about funky dying) -

There’s a lot of humour in your work – do you find people don’t know how to take that? That they want something more serious?
I had them kind of tunes in grime, like Keep Up which I produced for Durrty Goodz, but with Jelly Roll, I had the same problem as I had in grime, where people were like, ‘I can’t play that Scratch’ so that’s when I went into the Bok Bok area where it could be a mix between being grimey and housey. Guys like MA1 were like ‘this is too far away from us’. Funky was straight funky and then Jelly Roll was what I thought was funky but it was my wild side coming out again. And people got scared. DJ Naughty, it reminded me of something he would make, so I sent it to him, but he said it was ‘like marmite and I hate marmite’. And then I played it to Geeneus. He listened to it for 30 seconds and threw his headphones on the floor and said ‘this is not funky.’ So I had to keep it moving. Alex Nut liked it. Now, a lot of Djs play so many different vibes but with grime and UK funky, it was Migraine Skank, so I had to progress. People talk about ‘why you not makin’ grime tunes?’ I’m like, ‘why don’t you play my tune and just speed it up 5%?’ Cos the last tune on my album was just a grime tune, but they’re like ‘cos it’s not made at 140BPM, they can’t play it.

datwun

Shameless plug but we've got Champion and Tom Shorterz booked to play our night in Cambridge tonight:
Should be a corker!!!!

Excuse to whip out 1994

Last edited:

NKC

i really dont get this. so what are you saying, that by contrast jackin' or funky producers don't have a specific sound that they set out to achieve when they make a track? that it all pours out in some kind of magical nuum-powered emotional stream, entirely detached from any kind of cognitive process?

of course some of these darker producers had something in mind when they were written, but dont all producers?

I think this is the sort of thing he's talking about...
this is from fact's interview with Beneath:
“I wanted to make something that you could listen to and immediately know it was from the UK.”
Beneath's tunes are ok, but what he's saying here makes it seem like he's gettin into some kind of overly self-referencing or ironic or self-aware or w/e stuff. making quite studied pastiches of this very specific DMZ vs funky sound gets a bit stifling/pretentious

edit: back on topic i saw marcus nasty last night at FWD, he was bringing out some really good subby house tunes with them almost-funky snares. havent checked his rinse show for a while so guna get back to that

Last edited:

datwun

Beneath's tunes are ok, but what he's saying here makes it seem like he's gettin into some kind of overly self-referencing or ironic or self-aware or w/e stuff. making quite studied pastiches of this very specific DMZ vs funky sound gets a bit stifling/pretentious

edit: back on topic i saw marcus nasty last night at FWD, he was bringing out some really good subby house tunes with them almost-funky snares. havent checked his rinse show for a while so guna get back to that

Nah, Beneath's banging! His percussion is amazing, really intricate and trippy. Sounds best in the mix with his own tunes though.

Sick about Marcus Nasty, wish I could have been there. Remember any of the tunes he played?

NKC

yeh actually, calling them "studied pastiches" is a bit strong, i was more just makin a comment on havin that 'uk sound' intention.
i will probably remember them if i hear em again in his rinse shows.. couldnt name any

primate

Am seriously loving all of those BENEATH tunes. It's like the funky I've been waiting for since day one. cheese free, full of tension, great riddims. straight into my top 5 funky producers.