datwun

My only problem with Beneath tunes is that they're so minimal that I find they only really mix well with other Beneath tunes. Maybe I've just not discovered the right mixes, but when I got those first beneath EPs I kept trying to use them in mixes and blend them into other funky, but all the other funky I was feeling at the time - Champion, Funkystepz, Ill Blu etc. - with their midrange synths and maximalism just didn't work with it.

Probably doesn't help that the monitors I use for mixing aren't good enough and that they make Beneath's subs almost silent at points...

jimitheexploder

I've been mixing Beneath in with stuff like...

Hydrine by Joey Anderson:
White Phosphorus by DJ Spider & Marshallito:
B1 by Marcellis:
People by Levon Vincent:
Then a load of Keysound stuff, or Kowton, Pev, etc.

Pitching down stuff like...

The Maasai by J Robinson:
Locust Dub by Zhou:
That kinda grimy dark end of deep house. Adds a nice swung tuff edge to it while still keeping the twisted trippy thing going.

Last edited:

primate

Benny Bunter

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that list. So he didn't pick just obvious ones like do you mind or whatever, that would have been boring. This is a quite an interesting selection I think.

I got an ID of that great DJ Naughty remix of 'You, me, she' (which I knew from an old Mak 10 set) from it, and I'd never heard the T2 one before which is a wonderfully strange little vocal number. So that's more than I would usually expect from these sort of lists.

What's Champion up to at the minute anyway? Is he just making Grime now or something?

NKC

yeh i rate that list, glad he didnt just draw for 10 obvious ones, also reminded me to get more stuff by LR Groove.
mad that Apple was so well-supported with people playin his tunes yet never made much from it, never got on a label or got bookings or even full releases.

rubberdingyrapids

seems like he wasnt too bothered. shame though, those early 12s were two of the main reasons i (and probably a lot of people) got into funky at the time.

Elijah

Butterz
What's Champion up to at the minute anyway? Is he just making Grime now or something?

Haha nah man. He just put in a new record for Formula this week and has got something coming on Digital Soundboy shortly. He took some time over the summer to get new equipment and learn how to use it and that now hes got some good stuff on the go.

hopper

sorry to be lazy and repost this from jackin thread, urgent tune ID request for a tune Marcus Nasty has been playing, sounds like Timbaland and Aaliyah doin funky - with squark noises, tumbling drums and amazing marimba/string arrangement? I'll try and up a sample for it. It's on the 13th feb rinse show at 1hr7mins.

continuum

smugpolice
If he played it on this Wednesday's show (20th) it'll be one of these:

South soul project - all you time
Delphic - baiya
DJ charmzy - out there
S.K.T - adorn
MR Solo - deep dirty solo
Shay & sinista - interupt
Bobby Womack - love is gonna lift you up
Breakage - the promise
Together (makes no sense remix)
Sunday Roast - Clear steps
Danny Fry - 1s enough
?? -Thor
Little Nikki - dilligaf - Woz remix
Cry wolf - The flood
Cozzy d remix - spyro
Jakwob - Fade
J chubba - pay n spray clean
Hybrid Theory - 0483-1
Shay & Sinister - Handle it
Woz - reach
Hannah wants - dappy
Alex Parkin - what must i do
Luka - shame
Kill joy - higher
GreyMan - tunnel vision
Tony Phorse - scratchy
Baxsta - show and tell

Marcus says he is going to be typing up a playlist once a month from now on.