Careers - How on earth do you know what to do and how to do it??

matt b

Indexing all opinion
why do you say that matt? I got friends who are (still) retraining who started on the doctor path at after 25. I didn't think it was closed, just a hard slog.

i'm guessing 99% of art grads won't have the suitable science background that enables relevant retraining- biology A levels/ science grads have a path, but as you say, v.tough.

@you: i'll comment tomorrow, but yes i am a t*****r

zhao

there are no accidents
What do you all do and how did you get into it?

short term goals are necessary, but you have to consider building something in a field which involves daily, actual activities that you enjoy. if you like being by yourself making stuff with your hands (me), or if you like working with people or giving speeches, or if you like to travel and be a nomad (not that one), these are the real important things to consider IMHO. money, you can make money with anything really. sure some harder than others, but it all depends.

first job after art uni was making henna tatoos. lasted about 6 months. after which i decided i wanted to get into graphics.

didn't have a comuter, didn't have any education on how to use them. no design classes, knew nothing about "type" or "layout" or anything else -- only found out what "kerning" was about 4 years ago, when i had been a professional designer for 5.

to build my first portfolio (for fake clients), i used to take the bus to UCLA design department and pretend i was a student to work in their lab. great times. i still keep in contact with people i met there - they all thought it was great that i was doing that - but the security didn't and after a few months they started checking iD's but i had a portfolio already.

jumped on the dot com wagon in 1999. crazy ride with THE biggest one in the states. it was all lamborghinis in the parking lot, go-go girls at company parties, my water-bong sitting pretty on my desk.

and now I'm freelancing for mostly US motion design companies from Berlin (or where ever i choose), doing show and film title sequences for HBO, MTV and stuff like that.

i need to start getting paid in euros soon so will be getting some euro clients soon...

you

Originally Posted by zhao
daily, actual activities that you enjoy

absolutely completely brilliantly true, work in every way involves repetitive tasks, you HAVE to make sure the repetitive tasks are the ones you're happiest with.

and this is what worries me, I have no clue what that enjoyable task or thing could be.

zhao

there are no accidents
and this is what worries me, I have no clue what that enjoyable task or thing could be.

well you dont have to know what exact its going to be, just head in that direction. i mean surely you know some basic things about yourself. if your room is a total mess you prolly shouldn't go into accounting. if you are good at manipulating your friends into doing what you want to do on saturday night maybe consider running for office. that sort of thing.

and surely you know what you love doing? describing things with words? arranging different things in patterns? what did you study in art uni? what have you always enjoyed doing since a child?

Last edited:

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
i hate to come on like a pragmatic git, but I think one thing i've really come to appreciate is that you just have to manage your expectations. We all want a nice life with financial stability and the ability to engage in hobbies that we enjoy on a regular basis, but as a graduate in your twenties, it's not realistic to expect to live like your parents. They're living like that because they've been working for a number of years, and have built up to that point. I don't mean to seem to imply that you're work shy, but you do have to sacrifice things in the short run. If you can decide on a path that'll take you to where you want to go, just keep your eye on the long term goal and try to endure the short term.

Woebot

Id love to hear more storys of how you guys ended up where you are.

art school foundation at clerkenwell.

studied film and tv at glasgow uni.

briefly the lowest kind of clerk imaginable in the tv dept of an ad agency.

i started off a runner in commercials which i did for about five years.

mainly working on comics in my spare time.

then i started drawing more and more concept storyboards.

then i started working on animations in my spare time (after effects3/fcp1-era)

then i got jobs doing animation.

then i taught myself 3d.

and got a broader range of animation jobs.

went back to college at st martins and learnt "proper" 2d animation.

pretty much carried on.

taught myself shake and flash.

----

it all looks sort of deliberate, but it wasnt remotely like that. at moments (the year after 9/11) i had the merest trickle of work. have very frequently (but perhaps with less regularity) panicked and thought about different careers (teaching- i tried to teach english at one point but they wouldnt let me on the course, farming- really, all manner of crazy unsuitable things) i've also looked at full-time jobs doing the same thing but i think employers take one look at me realise i've never done full-time and would probably not adapt (or maybe it's my body odour)

looking at your situation i do think it differs in that i did have *some* money behind me which translated into not having to think too much about housing myself (though that seems to be more of an issue these days than it was then) also i didnt have to pay for my university as it was when the state footed the bill.

-

still i think i do have some thoughts. don't torture yourself at this stage about where you want to end up. i remember grinding myself into a pulp fretting about my future, being incredibly frustrated (especially as a runner, when i should have probably been more patient) which really made NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever. it does take time to set yourself up, but if you apply yourself, don't burn bridges, try to think constructively, be prepared to adapt/learn......you'll get there.

i would say that in this day and age, where more and more work is on a freelance basis, you can't afford to not want to go and meet people. YOU HAVE TO DO THIS! what i do find is that once you've plucked up the courage and done it you feel miles better psychologically, because you're actually doing something about your situation. also be aware that it works like voodoo- the connections you make might not actually do anything for you directly but somehow the act of doing it brings other things forth. so ring up the arts admin lot or whoever it is you think could be useful, introduce yourself, find some way to inveigle yourself. a good way is to ask people for their advice (people love the sound of their own voices, blushes)

i suppose this last point presupposes you want to go down the route of working to do more than just live.....and maybe i'm blindsided to that being worthwhile?

zhao

there are no accidents
don't burn bridges

god i burnt SOOOOOO many in my first 5 years in the real world... i would basically tell co-workers and even sometimes superiors that they are clue-less morons to their face. been fired too many times to count... was a notorious trouble-maker for years... sigh... now i realize that it was all very damaging to my own career, and not about what i thought it was about at the time.