Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Ewan Pearson on not playing in Isreal;

A funny old day on Twitter. A quick message applauding Beatport’s donation of a day’s profits towards Japan’s relief effort is re-tweeted a hundred times. Simultaneously, I am arguing with friends about the ethics of DJing in Israel. When the earth buckles and the seas surge victims quickly have our sympathy. But with political disasters it’s much trickier to find a consensus. Some kinds of solidarity are easier than others.

I have always quietly turned gigs in Israel down, appalled by the accounts I’ve read of the Occupation, the mistreatment of its Palestinian population and recently the blockade on Gaza. The systematic manner in which one set of citizens is being de-humanised parallels the South African Apartheid era when I first heard music and political protest linked and became aware of musicians refusing to travel in order to draw attention to a political situation.

But music transcends politics doesn’t it? Not at all. If music is of and about the world it has to engage it. Musicians are not ambassadors with carte blanche to go where we like as we’re spreading an implicit message of love. Too damn easy. Sometimes we have to say tougher and less palatable stuff, in this case that the actions of a purportedly democratic government in the name of a decent people are doing them massive harm, and the rest of us too as we sit idly by.

Art and politics at their best are about imagining yourself in someone else’s place, trying to feel what someone in quite different circumstances is experiencing. This is where solidarity comes from. I have more in common with a left-leaning cosmopolitan raver in Tel Aviv than a Palestinian in the occupied territories, but to go there and DJ is to say the status quo is fine, that it’s OK to forget about what’s happening for a moment. To paraphrase Israeli journalist Gideon Levy, it’s buying an alcoholic friend a bottle of scotch when you should be phoning AA.

House music’s most famous political message - that one day the oppressed will be emancipated and find the Promised Land - is derived from the Torah, from the laments of Jews exiled in Egypt and Babylon. Today it seems more appropriate to the plight of their Palestinian brothers and sisters. Until that’s no longer the case, I have to write stuff like this over playing records, smiling and telling everyone “It’s Alright”.

A note:

Above is the original text that was published in Groove magazine this month. I avoided referring to the Boycott Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement; the campaign since 2005 to boycott cultural and academic exchange with Israel while the occupation and discrimination against Palestinians continues. This was a mistake. By doing so I suggested that such a decision to go to Israel or not should be a matter of individual conscience, made on a personal basis in isolation. It isn't and it shouldn't be. The fact is that over 170 Palestinian civil organisations have joined together to call for this boycott as one of a number of non-violent methods of putting pressure on the the Israeli government and they have been joined in the campaign by many individuals, groups, unions, churches and peace advocates around the world. It is not about me deciding whether I should go to Israel or not, but rather whether I am going to listen to the wishes of the Palestinian people at a time when not nearly enough others are doing so. I hope it goes without saying that I long dearly for a time when this is no longer the case.

crackerjack

So Obama today reaffirmed '67 borders, which must mean E Jerusalem and all. So much for his (misguided and erroneous) speech to AIPAC during the campaign.

This is the furthest any US president has gone on this, right?

edit" OK, watching news now. seems he fudged EJ. Israel complaining that these borders leave major population centres outside Israel. WELL IF YOU WILL KEEP BUILDING THESE FUCKING SETTLEMENTS.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Well knock me down with a feather..

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/west-clueless-about-war-on-terror-ex-cia-boss-506885.html

David Cameron and Barack Obama “don’t have a clue” about dealing with the war on terror, a former senior member of the CIA said today.

Michael Scheuer, the former head of the CIA’s bin Laden unit, said western politicians had to accept that the conflict in the Middle East was caused by US foreign policy.

Mr Scheuer said that Osama bin Laden and organisations like al-Qaida were fighting a war against US imperialism rather than a war on western culture.

“American politicians, and I’m afraid listening to Mr Cameron this week, there’s not a clue about what’s going down in the western world,” he said.

“They can’t cope with the fact that it’s nothing to do with the way we live. It doesn’t have anything to do with elections or democracy or liberty.

“We are being attacked in the west and we will continue to be attacked in the west as long as we are in Afghanistan, as long as we support the Israelis, as long as we protect the Saudi police state.

“Yet we hear the President, we hear your Prime Minister, talking about thugs and gangsters. We are still in the starting blocks in this war.

“The main recruitment sergeant for al-Qaida is Barack Obama because his speech on the May 19 was a declaration of cultural war on Islam.”

Mr Scheuer, who was speaking at an event in Wales, is a controversial figure in intelligence and political circles.

He left the bin Laden unit two years before September 11 but was called back as an adviser in the wake of the terrorist attack.

Mr Scheuer described his experiences in his book 'Imperial Hubris: Why the West is Losing the War on Terrorism'. It was published anonymously in 2004, but Mr Scheuer was soon outed as the author.

His book drew criticism in the US, but was praised for its insight in a speech by bin Laden himself.

In a round of questions, a member of the audience asked Mr Scheuer what advice he would give Mr Obama.

“I would ask him to tell the truth,” he replied. “He, the first Mr Bush, then Mr Clinton and the second Mr Bush have assiduously lied to the American people for 20 years and as a result have made the relations in the United States between Muslims and other people much more difficult.

“They have identified the motivation of our enemy as a war against liberty, as a war against gender equality.

“There is almost no Muslim out there who is an insane character who is going to blow himself up because my daughters go to university.

“What I try and show in my book is that there is no discussion by bin Laden of this cultural war that is supposed to be waged against us.

“A president who was a statesman and a politician might say something like ’I’m sorry we’ve been kinda lying to you for 30 years and why we are being attacked is until recently we were supporting fascism across the Middle East’.

“In the rhetoric of our enemies there is very little, if anything, about attacking us for how we live or how we think or how we act in our own country.

“It is about intervention, it is about being in the Arab Peninsula and it has nothing to do with these cultural things.

“We are the ones that are arranging the cultural war against them. What we will see as al-Qaida evolves is that the next generation is better educated, combat experienced and probably much crueller.”

Mr Scheuer said the only way to end the war on terror was to withdraw from the Middle East to an extent that is “consistent with our interests”.

He added: “The American relationship with Israel, in my mind, is a useless and unnecessary relationship.

“As long as we are playing a role we are the recruiting sergeant for the people that are going to kill us.”

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/we...-terror-ex-cia-boss-506885.html#ixzz1NwQeJ0OD

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
“We are being attacked in the west and we will continue to be attacked in the west as long as we are in Afghanistan, as long as we support the Israelis, as long as we protect the Saudi police state.

This is the elephant in the room, innit. "They may be oppressive, fascistic thugs, but they're OUR oppressive, fascistic thugs." Oh, that's OK then. To say nothing of SA being the ultimate wellspring of Sunni Islamism/jihadism. (Isn't it? Vimothy to thread...)

“They have identified the motivation of our enemy as a war against liberty, as a war against gender equality.

“There is almost no Muslim out there who is an insane character who is going to blow himself up because my daughters go to university.

“What I try and show in my book is that there is no discussion by bin Laden of this cultural war that is supposed to be waged against us.

Where does this come from, do you reckon? An over-emphasis of Qutb's influence on modern jihadis? Or just cynical self-absolution on the part of American leaders?

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
To say nothing of SA being the ultimate wellspring of Sunni Islamism/jihadism.

Wahhabism -- it's the state religion, enforced by the religious police, and exported globally. It is the main force behind the prominence of the niqab, hijab and abaya, for example. You can understand quite a lot about the Middle East if you simply ask, "who's behind this? The Saudis or the Mullahs?" They're the regional and Islamic superpowers, and they're in a Cold War.

I know you meant to ask me.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Wahhabism -- it's the state religion, enforced by the religious police, and exported globally. It is the main force behind the prominence of the niqab, hijab and abaya, for example. You can understand quite a lot about the Middle East if you simply ask, "who's behind this? The Saudis or the Mullahs?" They're the regional and Islamic superpowers, and they're in a Cold War.

By 'Mullahs' you mean specifically Shi'ite Islamists, I take it?

I know you meant to ask me.

Sorry Ollie, I know you know all about this stuff too, it's just vim was more active in this thread recently.

craner

Beast of Burden
Sorry Ollie, I know you know all about this stuff too, it's just vim was more active in this thread recently.

I was just teasing.

By 'Mullahs' you mean specifically Shi'ite Islamists, I take it?

I mean, specifically, the people in power in Tehran. You might think I exaggerate, becuse there has been no direct involvement in North Africa -- but there are Quds force killers all over Syria right now, and Saudi troops in Bahrain.

D

droid

I mean, specifically, the people in power in Tehran. You might think I exaggerate, becuse there has been no direct involvement in North Africa -- but there are Quds force killers all over Syria right now...

I also hear they're only two days march from Texas and their WMD could strike London within 45 minutes.

craner

Beast of Burden
The Iraqi Shia have very little regional power, apart from when they hitch their wagon to the Iranians. For example, this is why they are assaulting the MKO camp at Ashraf with such ferocity. The Iraqi Shia are also part of the equation, mind, as a potential source of intra-Shia rivalry, which explains why the Iranians spent so much time and treasure undermining the fledgling Iraqi state, killing Ayatollah al-Khoei, for example, or sidelining Sistani, or buying or intimidating the big Shia parties that they hadn't explicitly created, etc, etc: because they fear Najaf and Karbala.

craner

Beast of Burden
Well, there's some unexplained dodginess going down in Venezuela, which nobody American or Iranian can quite bat away.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm sure there isn't a country on Earth where some form of 'unexplained dodginess' isn't going down right now...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm pretty sure the number of countries where the IRGC is conducting clandestine ops is dwarfed by the equivalent figure for the CIA...

(how'm I doing, droid?)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Mossad in this context, surely? And MI6 running around trying to remind everyone that Britain's still important too!, probably. ;)

D

droid

lol... Poor Oliver. He probably checks under the bed every night for the Iranian revolutionary guard. Its a mental disorder really.