Kino + Betty Black at Nublu on Sundays

dominic

Beast of Burden
hey dissensus people --

i think some of you might find it worthwhile to visit nublu on SUNDAY nights. i just happen to be the early dj (9:30 to 12 slot), but that is neither here nor there, as i don't mix or anything, and i've been resorting to a lot of post-punk-ish music (i call it "atmospheric rock," though i of course play other stuff too) that only skims the surface of the terrain, i.e., plenty of djs around town can beat me at this game. the REASON you should come by, however, is to check out the two bands.

the first band is BETTY BLACK, which is sylvia gordon's latest project. think mazzy star meets "that voice." the band features a wonderful guitarist named avi bortnick (resume includes john scofield band), and deantoni parks (of kudu and meshell ndegeocello fame) is on drums. there's another fellow on steel guitar, and a keyboardist providing that "wet" 80s atmospheric sound. in terms of sonic innovation versus tradition, the band is pretty TRAD, i.e., not the kind of thing the dissensus consensus generally looks for. but if you are in the mood for BEAUTY and PURE EMOTION (original material plus covers of depeche mode, madonna, buzzcocks, pixies), or simply curious as to what sylvia gordon is up to nowadays, then arrive at nublu by 10 pm just to be safe, though they usually don't go on until about 11 pm. SEE myspace.com/sunbathinginblack

the second band, which usually takes the stage around 12 midnight or so, is called KINO. as with sylvia's Betty Black project, this is basically the musical vision of one person, kino a.k.a. hakan, though he is supported by a full backing band, drums, keyboardist, and 3 or 4 guitarists (so many guitars that it's hard to give an accurate count). Kino is from London, UK, though I think his parents may have immigrated to England from Turkey, or one of his parents did, something to that effect. the music walks the line b/w 70s prog rock and 70s glam rock, but with very MODERN SONICS and catchy hooks. the live show is VERY LOUD. as for the album, it is called "Map of the Universe," written/performed entirely by Kino himself, and produced by Kino and an older gentleman named Jeff Blenkinsopp, who has previously worked with Pink Floyd, Hawkswind, The Sweet, Kate Bush, T-Rex, Ian Dury, Vangelis and Secret Machines, among others. I think this band might very well make it to the big time, and kino seems to have already garnered a fair bit of press in england. SEE myspace.com/kino -- oh, and i think Febuary 24th might be their last show at Nublu, i.e., theirs is simply a one-month engagement with the bar

and if you're into the kind of 70s soul music that used to be called "house music" back in the day in chicago, that's what the djs (kingston 19 and renochild) play after midnight

nublu is on avenue C b/w 4th and 5th streets

and if you actually come by and should see a dashingly dressed dj, say hello and introduce yourself