Is this the end of the Reagan/Rove right?

aMinadaB

I've already forgotten the link, but there was an impressive story at the end of last week about Obama restricting press access. The tenor was "on the one hand he is a change candidate, so the press should have full access" etc etc, while the other half said, "he's the nominee, he's earned the right to limit access and to protect himself." The impressive part came when they described a meeting Obama held recently with major religious leaders from across the spectrum, including conservative ones. According to reports, Obama said that he was excluding the press from the meeting so as to allow everyone to speak freely, and then opened by saying to the leaders in the mtg,

"I want anyone in the room to feel free to ask whatever they like, as aggressively as they like."

!!! I mean? ! Can you imagine George Bush saying that even to people on his OWN side of an issue??? Or another politician?!! : 'Ask me whatever you like, as aggressively as you like, and I will tell you where I stand.' Quite refreshing, if true

Another interesting article today on Obama's time as president of the Harvard Law Review:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0608/11257.html

aMinadaB

With ol' Al Gore throwing in for Obama today ( a bit belatedly ? ),
you can see some people bubbling about an Obama /Gore ticket ... mixed on that
but hey, who knows ...
In the past months Bayh seemed to be standing close behind Hillary,
would he go for - go with Obama ?
The candidates for Vp being trotted out such as Joe Biden, Chuck Hagel have some good qualities, probably 'mean well' but seem lacking essential spark ... ?
My money for Obama's VP is still on Evan Bayh. The fact that he was a Clinton supporter means nothing in terms of accepting a VP slot - I can guarantee you that he admires Obama enormously and would be thrilled to be on the ticket. He almost ran for pres but turned it down, supposedly for family reasons (don't know the scoop, if that was the reason or not). For the political ilk in washington, Bayh is a verrrry bright fellow, far more articulate than most of the lot, has extensive foreign policy experience, is a moderate, could posssibly put Indiana in play for the democrats (which would destroy republican hopes) and, as I said before, most importantly, at the end of the day, he could actually handle the job of president if called.

Biden is too unpredictable, wants to be secretary of state not veep.

Gore wouldn't take it, and didn't endorse sooner, b.c with nobel credentials and a global cause, he sees himself as standing outside of local US politics or as transcending them - this, according to recent reporting.

Jim Webb from Virginia is a bit of a crackpot, just baaarely won his senate seat, and while military, yes, is not VP material, in my humble opinion. Would never happen.

Wesley Clark? Hard to imagine, but maybe.

Sam Nunn. Would be a safe pick, though he'll be something like 70 or 71 this year. Still, Nunn would shield Obama from accusations of lack of experience, since Nunn arguably has more foreign policy experience than Mccain and half of Mccain's cronies wrapped into one.

What about Mike Bloomberg ? Super outside chance but wouldn't it be the sort of surprise and indication of 'change' that Obama has made a hallmark? Well, Obama won't pick him, but it's an intriguing thought

So, um, yeah, Bayh is my guess for VP. :D Cheers

Last edited:

aMinadaB

Nunn does pop up around every 4 years !
So true!

Heard Bayh himself say today in an interview that he'd take the VP job if offered, and he basically admitted that he was on the short list, without saying as much explicitly. I'm telling you, he's going to be the pick. :D

Obama up in all of the national polls mid-week, not that polls mean anything, but still it's good for perceptions and momentum (up 12 points in the national LA Times poll today)

crackerjack

Thank fuck for this:

Barack Obama has hit the crucial 50 per cent mark in the polls for the first time after an impressive Democratic convention and concerns over John McCain’s choice of the Alaska governor Sarah Palin as his running mate.

The Democratic nominee now holds an eight-point lead over Mr McCain – 50 per cent to 42 per cent – according to today’s daily tracking poll released by Gallup.

Been getting quite worried by these neck-and-neck polls. But McCain has messed up massively with the VP pick and hopefully exposed the fact he's not quite the wise old statesman he pretends.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Thank fuck for this:

Been getting quite worried by these neck-and-neck polls. But McCain has messed up massively with the VP pick and hopefully exposed the fact he's not quite the wise old statesman he pretends.

More like redneck-and-neck, rofl.

*rimshot*

Last edited:

crackerjack

No he hasn't! He pulled his best move yet with the VP pick.

She might shore up the bass, but most of them were his anyway, no matter how diffident they felt. But she's lost the centreground (any truth in the rumours some bookies have reopened the book on who the GOP VP candidate will be?) and hre credibility is unravelling by the hour.

craner

Beast of Burden
No, 'the base' was very unthrilled by McCain, but Palin has exhilirated them. The base has been returned, and then some. As for her credibility dropping by the hour, it seems not. In fact she's more than survived each media assault on her without even saying a word. This is because most have been demonstrably false. Also because no one knew a thing about her before the beginning of this week and the more they find out the more they're impressed. This may change, but it hasn't yet. It actually seems that people are increasingly fascinated by her. The press coverage - both positive and negative - has been huge. Obamaphiles are going bonkers!

crackerjack

No, 'the base' was very unthrilled by McCain, but Palin has exhilirated them. The base has been returned, and then some. As for her credibility dropping by the hour, it seems not. In fact she's more than survived each media assault on her without even saying a word. This is because most have been demonstrably false.

What's been demonstrably false? That she's strong connections to a secessionist party or that she's subject to an ongoing ethics investigation? 'Without saying a word'? she was gagged!

McCain has also neutralised his strongest charge against Obama - that's he's inexperienced. With McC's age and record of ill health, his VP has to be a credible pres.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Well, let's see

1. Her downs syndrome son was actually her grandson. Actually physically impossible. False.

2. She belonged to an Alaskan Independance party. She actually sent a non-comittal video address to an unimportant meeting of said party. Never been a member, or even been close, to said party. False.

3. She thinks Creatonism should be taught in schools. She actually said that she didn't think Creatonism should be taught in schools, but didn't think it should be legally precluded from being debated in classrooms. False.

And McCain hasn't done that, because by any standard it can be proved that Palin has had a more varied and exprienced life and career that Obama, but also, in the end, he's running for President and she's a VP ticket. That critique could only rebound on him.

Haven't seen her speech yet, I must say, so I don't know what's happened yet. It IS a risk for McCain, couldn't deny that.

mos dan

fact music
anyone else wrecking their thursday by staying up for palin? no? just me then :rolleyes:

guiliani is a very silly man. he's working the crowd like the joke of a presidential canditate he was during the primaries though.

crackerjack

Peggy Noonan!! Excuse me! That was a lame link.

If I had a £1 for every time I've seen Republicans quoting her attacks on Obama, I wouldn't be here talking to you now.

Well, let's see

1. Her downs syndrome son was actually her grandson. Actually physically impossible. False.

The family gossip is pretty gruesome, but how is it physically impossible?

2. She belonged to an Alaskan Independance party. She actually sent a non-comittal video address to an unimportant meeting of said party. Never been a member, or even been close, to said party. False.

The AIP say she was a member and attended conferences.

3. She thinks Creatonism should be taught in schools. She actually said that she didn't think Creatonism should be taught in schools, but didn't think it should be legally precluded from being debated in classrooms. False.

FFS, you can't see that for what it is? She's a creationist who wants teachers to be able to talk about creationism without teaching it. Genius.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"2. She belonged to an Alaskan Independance party. She actually sent a non-comittal video address to an unimportant meeting of said party. Never been a member, or even been close, to said party. False."
Where are you getting that from? You need a better argument than just saying "false".
It is weird to have all this stuff about her daughter being pregnant or her husband having a drink driving conviction from twenty years ago in the news though - what the hell has that got to do with anything?