Is this the end of the Reagan/Rove right?

aMinadaB

by any standard it can be proved that Palin has had a more varied and exprienced life and career that Obama
this statement is almost as funny as the stewart video. ROFL @ "proved" and "a more varied and experienced life and career than" ...ho ho hee hee, still chuckling at that one

aMinadaB

You're all furious with her for existing - I can feel it.
I for one am not "furious with her" for "existing," considering that her brand of Republican politics is as common as dirt to anyone who has lived in the US for, oh, say, the past two decades. Same old story, hardly surprising.

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm not amused by her at all, but I'm highly amused by how much you all hate her. Honestly, none of us knew much about her a week ago, and yet you've generated paroxysms of intense anger and loathing in your head in a very short space of time.

It's amazing how psychologically dependent people are on the certainty of President Obama - there'll be huge psychological fallout if he loses. It'll be a liberal apocalypse!

I still want to know why the Obama Salvation Army is so attractive to people, when it is so obviously thin and cultish and creepy? It's like Evangelical McGovernism. And Biden? Joe Biden? The Obama-Biden ticket? Really?

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
I'm not amused by her at all, but I'm highly amused by how much you all hate her. Honestly, none of us knew much about her a week ago, and yet you've generated paroxysms of intense anger and loathing in your head in a very short space of time.

It's amazing how psychologically dependent people are on the certainty of President Obama - there'll be huge psychological fallout if he loses. It'll be a liberal apocalypse!

I still want to know why the Obama Salvation Army is so attractive to people, when it is so obviously thin and cultish and creepy? It's like Evangelical McGovernism. And Biden? Joe Biden? The Obama-Biden ticket? Really?

With respect, these are National Review talking points. Especially the "obviously thin and cultish and creepy line" which could well have been lifted from Jonah Goldberg directly.

In truth, for all of the claims about Obama's lack of substance - some of them justified - you couldn't really get thinner then McCain/Palin. What, after all, do they stand for? What do they believe in? What do they want? A strong America. Not a weak America. Shaking things up in Washington. Not maintaining the status quo. Being against corruption. Not being for corruption.

The entire Republic strategy in this election - as indicated by their Charles Lindberg-like slogan "Country First" - is to try and drill into the minds of the American Electorate that a multi-millionaire, half-senile, dumb-as-fuck, cock-waving, cancer-ridden, flip-flopping motherfucker, who stands for Death and War, whose greatest achievment is that he was once tortured by the Vietcong, together with a second-rate, bible-dumb, bearskin Barbie wing-nut political hack, who is quite plainly utterly out of her depth, who can't even manage to instill in her own family an understanding of the important advantages of contraceptive technology, and is, moreover, swamped in corruption scandals, are America, stand for America, are the true America, the real America, the soul of America... Not this time!

craner

Beast of Burden
You see, Josef, you were doing well there, until that last insane passage. Injecting NR talking points is necessary for the health of this little online community. Meanwhile we await McCain's speech. Palin's speech was vapid - but not as smug and banal as Biden's. US politics is in an unhealthy state right now - and I'm just re-reading Dallek's JFK bio which shows how far it's fallen (although only in some ways) since the moment of Jack's inaugration speech.

We are talking unimpressive Senate-serving in the case of Obama-Biden. Neither have any real record of executive action or national service. McCain-Palin have both. It's not thinner, though it might be worse from the POV of a liberal mindset.

craner

Beast of Burden
Though actually there's some substance in this excerpt, of you can possibly watch it beyond the first minute:

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
You see, Josef, you were doing well there, until that last insane passage.

We are talking unimpressive Senate-serving in the case of Obama-Biden. Neither have any real record of executive action or national service. McCain-Palin have both. It's not thinner, though it might be worse from the POV of a liberal mindset.

I salute your superior knowledge of mental illness and the limits of rational discourse! What can I say, I am never so stupid as when I attempt to be funny.

But, all things considered, you're a literate man. Indeed, you clearly believe in the importance of injecting differing viewpoints into otherwise ideologically hegemonic communities.

But I wonder, just to take one example at random: Would you say that the cause of reform and reason is well served, by instructing the librarian of Wassilia to systematically remove ideologically-dodgy books from the Library?

[http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1837918,00.html]

Country first, Oliver! Country first!

You agree?

craner

Beast of Burden
Um, I don't know, your link said "ERROR" so I couldn't read it. Repost, or tell me the story, as I am very interested in Mrs. Palin.

Here we all are though, spewing our opinions of her, and yet I would like to hear some counter opinions on the greatness of Joe Biden. Or even Senator Barak Obama! What's the deal?

I'm not amused by her at all, but I'm highly amused by how much you all hate her. Honestly, none of us knew much about her a week ago, and yet you've generated paroxysms of intense anger and loathing in your head in a very short space of time. It's amazing how psychologically dependent people are on the certainty of President Obama - there'll be huge psychological fallout if he loses. It'll be a liberal apocalypse!

so in answer to my question- yes ;), and personally i don't disagree, though it isn't entirely out of the question that people are able to form information based opinions a little more quickly these days. perhaps it is a crude response.
however, my friends in the US do very much feel otherwise, and correspondingly i'd say you're right about the implications of obama being defeated.

I've a neighbour who's Pakistani and he told me once how Western leaders and politics are seen by the street level populance there to be almost laughably vulgar in their propagandist slant. not to place any particular weight behind that claim, ;) just to say that things always look different from the outside looking in, and while i don't think funny videos are particularly enlightening, i'm not sure detachment is much different. People might be looking for a little hope where they can find it, perhaps convincing themselves there's more than that at stake. but the alternative is frightening, so i can at least understand our American friends here being a little emotive.

Last edited:

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
Incidentally, my opinions on Obama and Biden are not evangelically pro. But do they have to be? The merits of Palin-McCain is in some sense an independent question from the merits of Obama/Biden, no? As in, Palin might be a pathetic joke and McCain an Alzheimer's plagued Janes' reading, Grandpa-Simpsonesque reanimated corpse without the Democrats meriting uncritical admiration. As is indeed the case. No?