exercise?!?!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Snooker must float your boat then.

Actually, not at all. Can't stand it (apart from Ronnie, who I like for various reasons) - too pernickety, weirdly enough.

i just love those squash shots that go off about four walls - it's like real-life pinball (which I also can't stand. Hmm, contradictory.).

craner

Beast of Burden
I always associate squash courts with heart attacks. It strikes me as a uniquely dangerous game!

I've just rejoined a gym after six months of sloth and idleness, but I only really use the pool. Myabe I'll join an aerobics class this time.

jenks

thread death
What happened to your idea of running the marathon Craner?

I'm currently on the waiting list for the London triathlon - anyone done a full length Tri here?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
What happened to your idea of running the marathon Craner?

I'm currently on the waiting list for the London triathlon - anyone done a full length Tri here?

Not done one, but have plenty of experience of people who have through my old job. It's hardcore, but not all of them appeared to be mental ;)

jenks

thread death
Not done one, but have plenty of experience of people who have through my old job. It's hardcore, but not all of them appeared to be mental ;)

Done some sprint triathlons but the full on 1500m open water swim is the thing that holds the terrors - actually just the words 'open water' make me shake (if it were in a pool i would have done one a few years ago!)

Client Eastwood

used to go running 2/3 times a week, as mentioned upthread when you lock into that zen of stride and breath its a nice feeling.

currently play 5 a side once a week with a mish mash of whoever turns up but its getting harder and harder to keep up with the young 'uns.

i walk to and from work which is about 1 hour each day but keep meaning to get back into some running and cycling. i like cardio stuff but the thought of lifting heavy things up and then putting them down has never appealed to me.

nochexxx

harco pronting
for me it's a constant battle between the good, the bad and the ugly. i cycle 6 miles a day to work, and do two sets of 5km running a week, as well as a few rowing exercises. but then i also binge drink, smoke and eat late, this makes the entire regime much more difficult, but when i'm locked in it makes it all worthwhile.

Client Eastwood

for me it's a constant battle between the good, the bad and the ugly. i cycle 6 miles a day to work, and do two sets of 5km running a week, as well as a few rowing exercises. but then i also binge drink, smoke and eat late, this makes the entire regime much more difficult, but when i'm locked in it makes it all worthwhile.

they had dr rosemary on the bbc news a fews back saying it doesnt matter if you eat late, its all about the total calorific intake over the day. so if you have eaten light all day then a bigger meal later doesnt matter in terms of wieght gain.

zhao

there are no accidents
they had dr rosemary on the bbc news a fews back saying it doesnt matter if you eat late, its all about the total calorific intake over the day. so if you have eaten light all day then a bigger meal later doesnt matter in terms of wieght gain.

i've heard the opposite. that to not gain weight one should eat no less than 4 hours prior to sleep -- because the body's metabolism slows during sleep, and all the calories goes directly into fat instead of muscle.

Lichen

"A study at the Dunn Nutrition Centre in Cambridge suggests otherwise.

Volunteers were placed in a whole body calorimeter, which measures calories burned and stored.

They were fed with a large lunch and small evening meal for one test period, then a small lunch and large evening meal during a second test period.

The results revealed the large meal eaten late at night did not make the body store more fat."

zhao

there are no accidents
"A study at the Dunn Nutrition Centre in Cambridge suggests otherwise.

Volunteers were placed in a whole body calorimeter, which measures calories burned and stored.

They were fed with a large lunch and small evening meal for one test period, then a small lunch and large evening meal during a second test period.

The results revealed the large meal eaten late at night did not make the body store more fat."

interesting! hello 3 AM pizzas! :D

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I've recently started playing Ultimate Frisbee at lunchtimes. It's actually pretty strenuous, since the teams tend to be about five or six a side and man marking is fairly important, so if the person you're marking decides to sprint for it then you're going to have to too.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
i've heard the opposite. that to not gain weight one should eat no less than 4 hours prior to sleep -- because the body's metabolism slows during sleep, and all the calories goes directly into fat instead of muscle.

No, what matters is how many calories you burn versus how many you take in, it doesn't matter when you eat them... although eating a large meal and then lying down afterward is more likely to cause indigestion and acid reflux, so it's not advisable for that reason...

It doesn't matter what you eat, if you eat too much of it, it will be stored as fat. That's how weight gain happens, you could gain weight eating carrots if you ate enough of them. The weird idea Americans have that only eating fat will make you fat has contributed to the obesity epidemic, because people will mindlessly consume all sorts of refined carbohydrate "fat-free" snacks, thinking this will control their weight, when in fact excess calories from carbohydrates are stored as fat just like any other calories.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ha ha, I couldn't resist googling "squash heart attack".
I wish you hadn't posted that. On Monday I was feeling quite ill in the morning and was in two minds about playing squash at lunch time, but after a bit of thought I decided that I could power through it. Big mistake, after a few rallies I was really struggling and I had to keep stopping between points, could hardly breathe, feeling giddy etc. With that article ringing in my ears I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and conceded defeat after about half a session. Felt like shit all afternoon and started throwing up in the evening. Don't think that that was actually anything to do with the squash though 'cause my girlfriend was apparently doing the same, still the moral seems to be, even feeling only slightly ill can have a huge effect on trying to play such a strenuous game.

mos dan

fact music
Whereabouts do you play by the way Dan? I'll give you a game... when you think you're ready.

britannia leisure centre by shoreditch park.. is that a shlep for you? tbh i don't think i'm ready for a little bit yet in any case lol. but soon! ish. i've seen the speed you move on the football pitch remember. i've beaten both kanishk and tan fairly comprehensively now tho, if i can get up to the level that our other mate *who has actually played before* is at, then i'll give you a game. ha. he says, squirming.

Ha ha, I couldn't resist googling "squash heart attack".

argh! i am quite paranoid about coronary heart failure for some reason (prob cos i know i eat a lot of cheese, meat and butter). also i am launching myself into playing squash twice a week from a position of relative unfitness (i'm 27 not 50 tho). is there some way i can reassure myself - do gps do cholesterol tests or anything?

the difference between playing sunday football the morning after i've been drinking and smoking, compared to drinking but NOT smoking is massive. i feel so much better when i've not been smoking the night before. i still smoke sometimes tho, of course :rolleyes:

mos dan

fact music
i should add that tonight i was at a roots manuva gig, on a press freebie (i was working though, tbf), with several of my mates, a few pints down, dancing away, and all i could think was 'i wish i was playing squash'. that's how addictive this stupid game is.