Nandos [split from disssensus drinks thread]

Numbers

I think it says a lot about the quality of food in this country that people big it up not entirely without irony.

Honestly, being from the mainland, that baffles me as well. How can you get all aroused by going to a fastfood chain resto? Are there no decent places to eat in the UK then?

tryptych

waiting for a time
It's just nice chicken at a moderate price - why not big it up.

It's not though is it? The meat is of a pretty poor quality as I remember from my few visits.

What I find a bit weird is that not liking Nando's is middle class snobbery.

See:

stelfox said:
there is absolutely nothing wrong with nandos . anyone who objects to nandos 1) obviously can't taste things because any brand of peri peri chicken is delicious 2) is a walking middle-class cliche 3) is a total snob 4) is a racist. i rest my case

vs.

stelfox said:
i'm really not buying the idea of advising people to eat decent food as an act of bourgeois oppression of the proleteriat. similarly, i don't get the idea that insisting on shovelling crap into one's family can be viewed as a revolutionary act. the fact is that the mechanisms of capitalism have created battery farms (they're actually a pretty good metaphor for many other things, too) and awful living conditions for animals, just as they have created poor accommodation and working conditions for people. this situation i sperpetuated by people buying into capitalist consumer society. saying that it's better to keep buying poorly farmed, nutritionally suspect food than to listen to someone who's had an easier life than you is to completely miss the wider issues in question.
hugh fearnley-whittingstall is right (and this has nothing to do with me liking his writing and broadcasting at all). if people didn't think they had to eat chicken for every meal and accepted less choice but better-quality products, then the situation would right itself reasonably quickly.

(from the the chicken thread)

Seems a bit contradictory, no?

I only eat chicken I kill with my bare hands, of course.

nomos

Administrator

polar bears too. they don't even deny it!

logo-locations.gif

(or maybe the problem is specific to the canadian ones)

manara

nando's is so interesting. i reckon it appeals to so many different demographics and also peri peri is definitely super addictive, i crave it a lot.ALSO in england there is hardly any advertising for nando's - i heard an ad on the radio once and people flyer when theres a new nando's in town but that's about it! i found these tv ads for nando's though, south african i think, they would never fly in england

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Does Nando's even use battery-farmed chicken, though? I mean, do we know this for sure?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do, I hasten to add, it's just usually a good idea to be sure of these things before ranting about them one way or the other...

tryptych

waiting for a time
I guess there is cruelty to chickwens involved which makes it worse than oddbins or halfords but F+W sells that Ecover stuff which shares its parent company with Group 4;
I hate the way people see themselves as discerning over stuff like this while just swallowing it, never stopping to think 'well maybe just having a dolphin on the logo doesn't make you a bunch of lovable hippies instantaneously'.

AFAIK Sorenson no longer has any shares in Group 4.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Does Nando's even use battery-farmed chicken, though? I mean, do we know this for sure?
It's OK as long as they are rechargeable.

I don't think they are complaining about the chickons, more about how it might sully the area. Stokey's changed a lot since I was squatting there back when Techstep was killing Jungle.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well the pompous ninnies running this campaign seem to think they can distinguish between the disgusting greasy fumes given off by fried battery-farmed chicken meat and the delicate scent of chickens who were fed on organic whole grains and mineral water, individually named by the farmer who raised them and actually didn't even mind that much about being made into tortilla wraps.

Pestario

tell your friends
It's not though is it? The meat is of a pretty poor quality as I remember from my few visits.

ok well I have low standards then. But you have to admit that peri-peri is nice. I know other restaurants use it but Nandos popularised it and made it their 'thing'. So when people say they like Nandos they're probably just really saying they like the chicken with peri-peri.

Jaie Miller

i doesn't reality having a problems within nados:

just actually everywhen i aim eating

they come and : hows your food? :
when the chickin is in my head

everysinglewhen: and it doesnt like that :

with humerous observation.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I hate that about restaurants. If it's really bad I'll complain. But then I don't like restaurants in general. Don't like being waited on, would prefer to make the food myself so I can have it how I want it, or get a takeaway and eat it at home. I just don't see the point. Even it's really good and there's no way you could make the food yourself then you have to contend with the poncyness. It's just rubbish all round. Used to enjoy things like Chicago Rib Shack before I was veggie though. That's dumb enough to not be a problem. Just pure gluttony and sillyness.