Anyone feeling Zulu (US MC)?

ripley

Curious what folks think of Zulu (out of Chicago)

He's worked with DJ C, who recently posted a slew of zulu a capellas for people to mess with and re-post
the (Argentinian) Frikstailers did some cool remixes, one of which popped up on /rupture's radio show..

some new stuff out with David Last (who's gone all minimal techno)

and Kush Arora as well.

He's one of the best MC's I've worked with as a DJ (in that he doesn't treat the DJ like a karaoke machine), and his lyrics are pretty fun, really narrative. He sings a bit as well. I like his vibe! glad to see him popping up all over.

nomos

Administrator
I'll have to go back and listen, because it's been a couple of months, but I like him quite a bit on the Kush Arora disc.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
He's done a tune or two with Ghislain Poirier which I liked. Would be interested in hearing more.

I think of David Last as always sounding minimal techno, at least tones/timbres/textures-wise. I really wanted to adore his first album... and as it is I do at least really like it. :)

ripley

reviving...

still quite enjoying the David Last/Zulu album

www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=117087

although I think Last could have pushed it a bit more in terms of bass. But I may be schooled to that from hearing Zulu on so many DJ C tracks.

Zulu and Warrior Queen played together in Chicago recently, wish I had seen how that would go. She killed it in San Francisco!

sapphic_beats

Captain Crankypants
zulu is a BADMAN, with a seriously dope voice and flow, and he's a hella nice guy to boot. :)

i first heard him in chicago MCing over benga and hatcha, and at one point i was just dancing, eyes closed, and thought: "is this a VIP version with an MC?". then i looked up and realized he was spitting that stuff live. seriously amazing flow!

and yes, zulu knows when to flow, and when to let the music do the talking. love that guy!