what you currently enjoying ?

pajbre

i think webern is actually quite beautiful, and if you are feeling morton feldman there are some pretty direct resemblances in timbre and atmosphere between the two, feldman's vocal acknowledgement of his love for webern notwithstanding.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
-Soseme Makonde - a totally crazy African (perhaps Congolese or Kenyan? the Internet says they're singing in Swahili) disco not disco-ish 12", d/l off Soul Sides
-Bowie's Berlin trilogy
-bits & pieces of the On-U Sound back catalogue - still sounds like future bass music a quarter century on (Sherwood -> Kode9? surely someone's made that comparison)
-that nutty Dusk & Blackdown show w/Trim!
-Ekkehard Ehlers - Plays
-John Carpenter soundtracks esp. Escape From NY & Assault On Precinct 13
-all the dubstep etc. that I picked up on year end lists (Blackdown, Melissa Bradshaw, thank you), especially all the garage-y bits
-also, old jungle tunes that sound kinda like garage five years early; Foul Play & anything Gurley of course, also early Photek projects

also, this;
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

man, Bukem really made some crackerjack tunes before it all turned into nu-jazz 21st century breakbeat music or whatever, didn't he?

datura

white collar loafer
Finally picked up a Pole album - Pole 2, and it's fantastic.

Keep on going back to the Walkmen album, and enjoying the most recent Deerhunter. I seem to be in the mood for guitar music at the moment, the latest Wolf Parade has also sneaked back into the car and the Tv On the Radio back catalogue.

Belize Boil Up is still stuck on the turntable though, and Disco Connection by the Lord Rhaburn Combo is the standout at the moment amongst many

zhao

there are no accidents
Finally picked up a Pole album - Pole 2, and it's fantastic.

3 is also good, but more "song", and more "reggae-ish-ish-ish-ish". Kit Clayton's record on ~scape is a dub techno masterpiece.

Merzbow and Masonna - Flying Testicle

hard man... what is preferred method and setting? low volume while in the bathtub? high volume on good headphones with eyes clenched shut? mid volume while doing other things?

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
stoned in bed, at really high volume on my headphones. I should be deaf within a decade or so.

also: i have the Wire song "Practice Makes Perfect" (from Chairs Missing) on permanent repeat.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Luciano live at Kristal in Bucharest
GAS - Nah und Fern etc.
Smokey Robinson - I Second That Emotion
Aaliyah- One In A Million (hats!)
Marcus Nasty b2b Mak 10 on Rinse
Marcel Dettmann RA Podcast
Jackmaster/Bok Bok/Ben UFO/Bizmarc sets mixing funky/garage/dubstep/techno
Q-Tip- Gettin Up
Masters At Work - Various bits and pieces

zhao

there are no accidents
stoned in bed, at really high volume on my headphones. I should be deaf within a decade or so.

whoa. this kind of cognitive dissonance, the effects of cannabis AND atonal, stream of consciousness noise, sounds perhaps not only dangerous to your ear drums but to your mental health and spiritual well being as well :eek:

i had an ex who told me a kind of chilling story about how she met an old gypsy once who told her that drugs leave "holes in your soul" so that it becomes easier and easier for alien entities to enter... has a kind of creepy resonance whether i believe that kind of mumbo jumbo or not...

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
i had an ex who told me a kind of chilling story about how she met an old gypsy once who told her that drugs leave "holes in your soul" so that it becomes easier and easier for alien entities to enter... has a kind of creepy resonance whether i believe that kind of mumbo jumbo or not...

heh i hope this is true. that is exactly what i'm going for. i also practice thelemic/sigil magick whilst tripping/stoned :D

michael

Bring out the vacuum
In Flagranti - I Chatted Up The Nympho Secretary

Is that a new one? I haven't heard much, but I reckon that Additional Alpha Blocker EP is particularly choice.

Been spazzing out over the recent Fennesz / Daffeldecker / Brandlmayr and solo Fennesz discs. Good times in slushy ambioso land.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
btw, i'm somehow strangly pleased that we've reached december 30 without having a "best of 2008" thread.
Would anyone be up for a "best of 2003" thread or something? Often feel it'd be nice to acknowledge how the dust settles...

viktorvaughn

Sizzla - Rise to the occasion. I am well enjoying working through some key dancehall releases of past twenty years or so. Bass Culture and Beth Lesser's dancehall were good for contextualising it all. I had thought previously thought dancehall was a 90s phenomena, didn't realise it had started in early 80s:eek:.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Sizzla - Rise to the occasion. I am well enjoying working through some key dancehall releases of past twenty years or so. Bass Culture and Beth Lesser's dancehall were good for contextualising it all. I had thought previously thought dancehall was a 90s phenomena, didn't realise it had started in early 80s:eek:.

you heard 'praise ye jah'?

any way, i'm enjoying lesser's new book. see seen blog for youtube versions of some of her recommended dancehall releases:
http://www.seen-site.com/2008/12/24/50-essential-dancehall-records-of-the-80s/

i am also enjoying albert ayler and vampire weekend

Last edited:

Client Eastwood

Even the very late 70's with the DJ orientated Rub-a-Dub sounds like Little John, Yellowman, Toyan, Michican & Smiley loads of Roots Raddics productions still sound heavy. Last time I looked Greensleeves were reissuing loads of this stuff.

crackerjack

Even the very late 70's with the DJ orientated Rub-a-Dub sounds like Little John, Yellowman, Toyan, Michican & Smiley loads of Roots Raddics productions still sound heavy. Last time I looked Greensleeves were reissuing loads of this stuff.

This is a pretty good summation of that time. I sold mine in a moment of madness and am too stubborn to buy it back.