Grievous Angel presents Belief is the Enemy

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
GAcover1.jpg

The first Grievous Angel album is called Belief is the Enemy.

It's out on 27th June on Elektrik Dragon, through Baked Goods.

It's a two disc set: the album comes with a mix CD, called Believe in Dub.

It's a proper album. There's a load of different flavours here... pounding hard techno-y gear, sweet soft dubstep rollers, dubby garage, bashy stuff, grinding industrial riddims. And a bunch of tracks with Rubi Dan, the MC from Heatwave, the famous London dancehall crew. He's a BAD MC.

You can hear previews of the tracks at www.myspace.com/grievousangelsoundsystem.

Track listings are as follows:

CD1: Belief Is The Enemy:

1. We Want You 138. Deep, lush dubstep
2. Lickle Friction 138. Hard industrial dubstep
3. Gone, Gone, Gone 138. Deep-space dubstep
4. Immigrant 138. Twisted industrial dubstep breaks
5. 1985 Style 100. Dancehall
6. Long Gone Dub (With Rubi Dan) 138. Soft, spacey dubstep
7. Move Down Low (With Rubi Dan) 120. Banging ragga techno with MC
8. Culture Killer (With Rubi Dan) 130. Banging ragga techno with MC
9. Soundman Tribute 138. Banging ragga techno - stupid but fun, squealing headache synths...
10. Velvet Dub (Bitten By The Black Dog) 138. Heavyweight electronic dubstep
11. Culture Killer (Discomix) 130. Minimal ragga techno
12. Velvet Dub 138. Deep, lush dubstep

CD2. Believe in Dub.

00.00 1985 Style
05.45 Bad Man Dub (Black Hole remix)
11.51 Velvet Dub (VIP mix)
16.52 Gone, Gone, Gone
23.50 Long Gone Dub (With Rubi Dan)
27.32 We Want You
31.57 Lickle Friction
37.04 Glitter Dub
42.15 Culture Killer (With Rubi Dan)
47.28 Immigrant
51.13 Soundman Tribute
56.46 Culture Killer (Discomix)
60.59 Move Down Low (Version)
63.51 Move Down Low (With Rubi Dan)

The mix CD has additional tracks, and everything is cut up, has loads of extra FX, sirens, yard tape samples etc. It's pretty massive.

I don't know about you but I switch between wanting albums as seperate tracks (for mix ammunition) and hearing the tunes in the mix as the artist intended (and as the tunes really deserve). With this album you don't have to choose - you get both. I like the mix better. But the album has the Black Dog remix. You really need to hear that and it's one of just two they're doing this year. And lots of people seem to want Culture Killer and Move Down Low as standalone tunes. So...

Catalogue number is ELEKD-02. Street date is 27th June. Distribution is Baked Goods. You know what to do - it'll be worth it. Vinyl news when I have it.

Like I said before - big up all soundmen in here who've been playing my stuff out - Tim Dub Boy, Sam Atki2, Boomnoise, Blackdown, Paul Hotflush, Selectah Dub-U and all the rest of you. All I ever wanted was to get some tunes played in the dance. Getting a CD out is a nice bonus.

Benny Bunter

Looking forward to this, I think the double cd unmixed/mixed format is a great idea. And a Black Dog remix! :D

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Boomkat is definitely, 100% certain to be stocking it. Likely to be at Juno, rooted, chemical etc too.

Watch out for a very limited special edition with "Belief is the Enemy" t-shirt and other goodies...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Yeah, that's the one Kode likes best.

Rubi hadn't heard that before we did the session... it was the last tune we did. There were no run throughs or anything, we just hit play and he spat over the top in one take. I didn't do any edits afterwards either - what you hear on the record is what he did straight off in the studio. After he'd gone home we played it back and were just amazed... "how the fuck did he do THAT?"

Hopefully do some more with Rubi before this adventure is over...

STN

sou'wester
Ragga techno never realised it's potential when it ha the chance, so I was very glad when I heard the rough mixes you sent me way back when...

faustus

Rubi hadn't heard that before we did the session... it was the last tune we did. There were no run throughs or anything, we just hit play and he spat over the top in one take. I didn't do any edits afterwards either - what you hear on the record is what he did straight off in the studio. After he'd gone home we played it back and were just amazed... "how the fuck did he do THAT?"

bloody hell...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Ragga techno never realised it's potential when it ha the chance, so I was very glad when I heard the rough mixes you sent me way back when...

Thanks Paul.

I think I invented ragga techno! :) Bandalu etc mainly had 4x4 beats, not 3:2 beats, but yeah I'm joining the dots between Bandalu, RSW, Tackhead and Wiley, Skepta, Digital Mystika... and Jill Scott, these days!

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Devotional Dubz innit. TPs of Lady Dub are floating around, think Pinch and Distance have picked it up... working on the follow up now.

faustus

in at boomkat...

i'll take that :)

Ordered Title Price (GBP) Subtotal
1 VARIOUS / MARY ANNE HOBBS, Evangeline, CD £8.99 £8.99
1 FLYING LOTUS, Los Angeles, CD £12.99 £12.99
1 THE BUG, London Zoo, CD
(PRE-ORDER item - ships 04/07/2008) £9.99 £9.99
1 BURIAL, DJ-Kicks, CD
(PRE-ORDER item - ships 04/07/2008) £9.99 £9.99
1 GRIEVOUS ANGEL, Belief Is The Enemy, 2CD £10.49 £10.49

£50 well spent i feel

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Big up! Huge thanks for buying my album.

You're quick off the mark though - I don't even have my copy of it yet!

Hold tight for Lady Dub - out in another few weeks. The TP sounds ridiculously fat!

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Big up! Huge thanks for buying my album.

You're quick off the mark though - I don't even have my copy of it yet!

Hold tight for Lady Dub - out in another few weeks. The TP sounds ridiculously fat!

saw it at sounds of the universe yesterday. ashamed to say to didn't buy it as i had spend too much on vinyl already. sorry paul :(

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Thanks!

I think the box of CDs from Electrik Dragon has literally just landed at the baked goods warehouse and sent on consignment to retailers - don't think they've had time to load up the audio samples yet. No write up either but this should all be ready for Friday this week if not next week.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
They wrote the first (very flattering!) line. The label and me put together the rest. Not absolutely perfect but it'll do.

Lady Dub VERY SOON NOW.