Politician with some principles?

john eden

male pale and stale
isn't he the bloke who used to turn up, rant at us and write 'IP noted' if you disagreed with him.

Seems like there's more of his kind out there if you look in the comments box.

I thought it was a Framley Examiner style spoof.

Nah, that was trotsyist Ian Town.

Ian Bone is one of the founders of Class War.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, Iraq war being a case in point - how many voted against (in any party)? Not many. I hate the people who come out and say "I voted holding my nose" - what's that supposed to mean? Trying to dissociate yourself from what you've done and have it both ways but that's not how it works.

Yeah, I was thinking of this exact episode just last night, but I couldn't think of the name of the daft bint who'd said it - I tried googling it but it seems to be a pretty common phrase.

It seems a pretty clear-cut case of trying to have cake and eat it: "I've got simply bags of principles, you know, but I'm too politically sophisticated to let that get in the way of voting for something I don't agree with", I mean WTF?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Yeah, I was thinking of this exact episode just last night, but I couldn't think of the name of the daft bint who'd said it - I tried googling it but it seems to be a pretty common phrase.
It seems a pretty clear-cut case of trying to have cake and eat it: "I've got simply bags of principles, you know, but I'm too politically sophisticated to let that get in the way of voting for something I don't agree with", I mean WTF?"
Exactly. And the fact that it is so commonly done that there is a phrase that has come to be accepted as having that meaning is even more annoying.

"Nah, that was trotsyist Ian Town.
Ian Bone is one of the founders of Class War."
How could anyone confuse them?

crackerjack

Yeah, I was thinking of this exact episode just last night, but I couldn't think of the name of the daft bint who'd said it - I tried googling it but it seems to be a pretty common phrase.

It seems a pretty clear-cut case of trying to have cake and eat it: "I've got simply bags of principles, you know, but I'm too politically sophisticated to let that get in the way of voting for something I don't agree with", I mean WTF?

Did any MP say this? Polly Toynbee ran her hold-your-nose-and-vote-Labour campaign and the phrase originally comes from the French election when Chirac was in the run off agaiinst Le Pen. But I don't recall any politician publically admitting they voted for the Iraq war even though they were against it. Could be wrong of course...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Did any MP say this? Polly Toynbee ran her hold-your-nose-and-vote-Labour campaign and the phrase originally comes from the French election when Chirac was in the run off agaiinst Le Pen. But I don't recall any politician publically admitting they voted for the Iraq war even though they were against it. Could be wrong of course..."
I'm pretty sure there has been at least one occasion when an mp did say that and one of those was regarding the Iraq war - although in the case I'm thinking of I thought it was a bloke.
You're right though, Toynbee did her "clothes peg" campaign.

john eden

male pale and stale
Throughout the 90s the SWP encouraged people to vote Labour "without illusions".

I think unless you an absolute purist that electoral politics has to be about the real world and compromise so people will always have to do stuff which is at the fringes of the priniciples otherwise nothing would ever get done.

This does become a bit venal with the 42 days vote, though, with apparently all sorts of deals being done behind the scenes and one London MP saying in jest "if I'd wanted another two bridges built over the Thames I would have got them".

crackerjack

Throughout the 90s the SWP encouraged people to vote Labour "without illusions".

didn't they come up with 'we support labour the way a rope supports a hanging man'? a very threadbare rope, one liable to flake off in all directions.

anymay, must dash

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I think unless you an absolute purist that electoral politics has to be about the real world and compromise so people will always have to do stuff which is at the fringes of the priniciples otherwise nothing would ever get done."
Yes of course but I think that voting one way and loudly saying that you don't agree with what you've just done is a pathetic attempt to have your cake and eat it that really just serves to highlight the fact that principles have been sacrificed.

john eden

male pale and stale
Yes of course but I think that voting one way and loudly saying that you don't agree with what you've just done is a pathetic attempt to have your cake and eat it that really just serves to highlight the fact that principles have been sacrificed.

Indeed. Plus I think all this behind the scenes "if you scratch our back we'll scratch yours" stuff is completely anti-democratic.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Indeed. Plus I think all this behind the scenes "if you scratch our back we'll scratch yours" stuff is completely anti-democratic."
Yes of course. If it is indeed true (and I bet it is) that money was allocated to Northern Ireland because of the DUP supporting the vote then that's terrible. Not that I have a problem with NI you understand, it's just that it should happen because it's the right thing to do, not because it's the only way the government can win a vote. There are so many things wrong with this whole sordid little business.

john eden

male pale and stale
I am astounded that so many people seem to have forgotten what terrorism is - mass murder. In my view the detention period should be 90 days, never mind 42 days. I have voted Tory for 35 years, but not any more. I value my life, doesn't anyone else? Davies is a fool and will achieve nothing by what he is doing. I am not facist but there is an underlying world movement against the prosperous West that needs wiping out in whatever way is possible.

Terrafly - East Yorkshire.

Philip Strachan, North Newbald, United Kingdom

I just posted this up for my own amusement.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That belongs on Whydon'tyougolivethere? - where did you find it? He seems a little confused, does he actually think that the government have been voting on how long the sentence for convicted terrorists should be? If he does think that then ninety days is surprisingly lenient.

john eden

male pale and stale
That belongs on Whydon'tyougolivethere? - where did you find it? He seems a little confused, does he actually think that the government have been voting on how long the sentence for convicted terrorists should be? If he does think that then ninety days is surprisingly lenient.

yeah it was off that bbc/HYS place.

Surprisingly most of them on there are up in arms about magna carta and human rights rather than applauding Brown for taking a tough line on swarthy extremists dedicated to destroying Our Great Culture and making us all eat yak.

elgato

I just dont know
i do believe he is genuinely passionate about civil liberties (although this sits a touch strangely). it makes sense if he wanted to draw attention to the issue, and try to stimulate some engagement with it, although one might question the wisdom of belief that this will lead to a shift in public opinion

but also i reckon he is definitely enraged by the lack of backbone being shown by Cameron, the subjection of 'his' party to the new-Labour makeover ("when i'm cremated my ashes will be Conservative"), and he suspects (imo rightly, as evidenced by the lack of noise being made about it, and the embarassment caused by his drawing attention to it) that in the face of the polls, Cameron would happily let this issue be pushed through under the Parliament Act without a fight, to avoid looking weak on terror and losing votes

this tension i think is the key to understanding the apparently bizarre decision - he doesn't want to be home secretary if he has to be Cameron's (and therefore the polls') bitch, as an individual he needed to build political capital (here as the 'moral voice' of the increasingly hollow Tories) to give him power within the party to step up and carry weight. it is a risky, but potentially very strong power move.

least he's saying the right things on this and making noise, and sticking a finger up to the Westminster logic, but imo he's still playing politics

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, it's looking as though Mackenzie won't stand now apparently though so it's going to be a total damp squib.

crackerjack

Yesterday's papers were saying he took an offhand comment by Murdoch at a party to be a commitment of support. He then spunked his load by going on TV talking about 142 days, after which Murdoch and The Sun went into denial.