Olympics

don_quixote

Trent End
haha, the tour de france is so awesome. i wish they showed it more here.

soooo now the track cycling has finished, where are our gold medals expected elsewhere? odowu, that bmx girl, that canoeist... anyone else? i reckon we'll need 20 to pip the aussies.

hucks

Your Message Here
haha, the tour de france is so awesome. i wish they showed it more here.

soooo now the track cycling has finished, where are our gold medals expected elsewhere? odowu, that bmx girl, that canoeist... anyone else? i reckon we'll need 20 to pip the aussies.

Where are the Aussies going to get theirs from? Their main hopes are swimming and rowing, and that's all over, isn't it?

don_quixote

Trent End
Where are the Aussies going to get theirs from? Their main hopes are swimming and rowing, and that's all over, isn't it?

hockey?

they'll find some somewhere.

if we do finish 3rd (and surely the russians are due some golds arent they?) it'll make a mockery of the ambition to finish 4th in 2012 won't it?

crackerjack

Beating the Aussies, that would be schweeeet. And the Germans. Some improvement since 96, when Redgrave/Pinsent was the only british gold.

craner

Beast of Burden
Christina O!!!

THAT'S the one I wanted. Beautiful race! Moment of the Games for me, so far. Have been a True Believer of hers for 4 years, even through the drugs test "scandal". That was too good, something salvaged from our otherwise pathetic track and field team.

That Jamaican who won high jump silver for us is, sorry to say, a wanker.

Pestario

tell your friends
the cycling thing seems very clairefontaine (french football academy), or am i completely off the mark there?

chris hoy's thighs are just incredible. fucking hell.

hoy2803_468x674.jpg

big thighs and 3 golds makes him dreamy.....:cool::p

IdleRich

IdleRich
The guy is deformed, I saw a picture of him standing up yesterday and he looks as though he's got another pair of thighs growing out the side of his thighs. He looks as though he is wearing jodhpurs when he's not. Even by the standards of olympic muscles they are ridiculous.

crackerjack

The guy is deformed, I saw a picture of him standing up yesterday and he looks as though he's got another pair of thighs growing out the side of his thighs. He looks as though he is wearing jodhpurs when he's not. Even by the standards of olympic muscles they are ridiculous.

Can he actually walk with muscles that big? And what happens when he stops training all the time, do they disappear completely or will he be left with big flappy thigh wings?

luka

anyone else think this is a slightly hollow vicotry based as it is on simply flexing our economic muscle, poaching australias top coaches and cut and pasting their strategies (in short, enormous investment in events very few nations compete seroisuly in eg cycling, rowing, swiming)
the whole thing leaves an unpleasant taste in the mouth

crackerjack

anyone else think this is a slightly hollow vicotry

Nope.

based as it is on simply flexing our economic muscle, poaching australias top coaches and cut and pasting their strategies

So learning from our own failures and others' success is something to tut at?

in short, enormous investment in events very few nations compete seroisuly in eg cycling, rowing, swiming

Rowing, maybe (and sailing, if you'd included that), but cycling and swimming are mass participation sports and the latter has always had a high Olympic profile (partly because it all happens before the athletics kicks off).

the whole thing leaves an unpleasant taste in the mouth

Only if you want it to.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"anyone else think this is a slightly hollow vicotry based as it is on simply flexing our economic muscle, poaching australias top coaches and cut and pasting their strategies (in short, enormous investment in events very few nations compete seroisuly in eg cycling, rowing, swiming)"
Pretty much. Not that I really feel much sympathy for Australia.
Apparently John Major is claiming responsibility for the results as he was leader of the government when the lottery (which funded a lot of sports) was introduced. Seeing as the lottery is played predominantly by the poor and is being used to fund training in sports such as rowing, sailing and equestrianism that are pretty much the preserves of the elite I can't help feeling that this is effectively a regressive tax. Still, everyone seems happy I guess...
Anyway, I still can't stop thinking about those thighs, it's just not right.

mos dan

fact music
Apparently John Major is claiming responsibility for the results as he was leader of the government when the lottery (which funded a lot of sports) was introduced.

if major's right, how many medals would we have won by now if the lottery contract had been awarded to a NON-PROFIT-MAKING organisation, with all the money going to 'good causes'. i'm still fuming about that all these years later.

crackerjack

New world record I understand.

Into a 0.9 headwind too. The man is a phenomenon.

And I so hope he's clean. The Jamaicans were complaining that they were being singled out for drug tests (their spokesman said Powell had been tested so much, they were concerned the blood withdrawal would affect his performance - that was before he choked in the 100 final), but I guess that's the price of being so damn good and not having your own anti-doping agency.

400m hurdles women now

Last edited: