Hipsters: Scourge or Irrelevence

STN

sou'wester
I thought the bitterness on his blog vastly eclipsed the fact that he probably is (being 19) a bit of a prannie, and obscured what could have been a necessary debate on nepotism.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I thought the bitterness on his blog vastly eclipsed the fact that he probably is (being 19) a bit of a prannie, and obscured what could have been a necessary debate on nepotism."
I agree, great wasn't it? I particular liked the people who come in on the third day and just say something that eight-hundred and thirty seven people have already said. And the way that the Guardian kept starting new slightly different blogs to explain themselves and they also got buried under the exact same tirade of pack-mentality anger.

mms

sometimes
I agree, great wasn't it? I particular liked the people who come in on the third day and just say something that eight-hundred and thirty seven people have already said. And the way that the Guardian kept starting new slightly different blogs to explain themselves and they also got buried under the exact same tirade of pack-mentality anger.

those blog notice boards are pretty grim, is it really guardian readers that write on them?
i always thought they'd be more gentle.
the guardian is a spirit crushing rag though.
this yesterday was truly pathetic
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2008/oct/02/sarah.palin.rocks

how long has that twat been doing this sort of thing?

that girl in the video above was awful wasn't she, really not very anything, i bet they've never sold 60,000 copies of their magazine ever.

CHAOTROPIC

on account
that girl in the video above was awful wasn't she, really not very anything, i bet they've never sold 60,000 copies of their magazine ever.

How terribly anti-supersuper-semitic. Can't you see she's expressing the pain of a nation through her unique style & music??

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"My clothingstyle'svery colour-fuul...."

Got about that far and had to turn it off, I'm afraid.

Shonx

Shallow House
A friend of mine was actually unpaid editor for Super Super, didn't even get expenses paid. Obviously easy to be an eternal optimist when you're not doing the actual work bit. Casual exploitation of media types eh, tsk.

mms

sometimes
A friend of mine was actually unpaid editor for Super Super, didn't even get expenses paid. Obviously easy to be an eternal optimist when you're not doing the actual work bit. Casual exploitation of media types eh, tsk.

it's called 'internship' the media's backbone.

mms

sometimes
I thought internships usually went to runners rather than editors, but yeah, does seem to be the way of things.

oh, well they seem to be commonplace for anything nowdays.

Basically the main things you need to be a success in the media are;

Private funding and the ability to work for free for long stretches of time. (rich parents)

Know people with even better private funding that you who you can work for.

Be the progeny of famous people, as ES magazine tells us every week.

Live in london or have parents that live in london.

There are of course many many people who aren't like this, and who are genuine and intelligent and talented but there are huge numbers like this, often very powerful.

A large part of the media is just old boys (and girls) network with funnier clothes.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Sure a lot of you have seen this already, but hey:

LTChipster-london.jpg

"Chloe Sevigny Instagramming a cupcake" :D

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
So glad Green Lanes isn't on this graph.

Vauxhall seems very misplaced.

I thought Vauxhall had, if not hipster cache exactly, at least a certain amount of default cool because of its gay clubs? Or do only really unfashionable gays go there these days?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Well exactly, it's very hipsterish in a lot of ways - dismissing it as a roundabout seems to lack any hipster nous!

I spent an evening in Shoreditch the other week with nary an obvious hipster to be seen - it was quite nice. Maybe I'm wrong and just go out less, but since the obvious try-hard hipsters have dispersed a little, it all seems less irritating than five/ten years ago.

Last edited: