Top floor
6-8 Manor Road
London
N16
020 8802 3755
info@theothers.uk.com

Doors: 8pm til 2am
Gate pressure: £3 before 11pm / £5 after

Music Policy: Scorchin' Ska, Rockin' Reggae, Bubblin' Blue Beat, Raw Roots & Dangerous Dub!!!

Residents: Gladdy Wax & Mistah Brown
Guest selectas: Alan McKay & Tim "Bilko" Wells

Expect the wickedest Jamdown sounds ever to grace a pair of turntables, as legendary sound system veteran GLADDY WAX, joins forces with Tighten Up's MISTAH BROWN to launch - "PRESSURE DROP" - a brand spanking new Ska & Reggae happening in the heart of Stoke Newington!!!

Gladdy will be bringing his usual relentless energy, incredible musical knowledge and phenomenal vinyl museum to the proceedings whilst Mistah Brown attempts to tear the roof off the place with crowd-pleasing classics galore!!! Joining us for our launch will be our old muckers - "local boy made good-ish" - TIM "BILKO" WELLS - paying tribute to his late, great musical heroes - Joe Gibbs & General Echo - plus Camden Town's finest - ALAN McKAY - dropping a non-stop, no-nonsense "Roots-Rocksteady" selection!!! You cant say fairer than that!!!

REACH!!!

More info check: mistahbrown@hotmail.com / info@theothers.uk.com / www.reggaeunlimited.com

viktorvaughn

I love this venue! Night sounds amazing, might not make this one but will make every effort to attend future events.:cool:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i'm down the london this weekend, but am attending university of dub to get my full supplement of jah lightning and thunder

STN

sou'wester
I would now like a blood and fire style 40,000 page thread on whether UoD is or isn't shit.

I say it isn't shit, who'll back 'it is shit'?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
it'll be my first time at UOD, so it'll be nice to see it first hand. My first indoor/reggae/london experience since I went to dubclub over a decade ago. Yikes!

john eden

male pale and stale
Well you were at BASH, no? :)

I don't think UOD is shit but I can't face going again until someone reassures me that I will enjoy it.

It's a big regular event in London that will draw in the curious, which is a good thing.

Does everyone still only play their own productions?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Well you were at BASH, no? :)

i excluded that on the basis that it was equally about dubstep and in order to make myself sound mature and elusive.

you've burst that particular bubble ;)

I don't think UOD is shit but I can't face going again until someone reassures me that I will enjoy it.

hopefully, given what i heard on saturday and with the addition of channel one, it shouldn't be too much of a digi-stepper fest, which gets boring pretty quickly.

crowd wise, i'm used to subdub where the audience is often about 90% student pill poppers who can't resist talking shit to strangers (unless i'm unlucky), so UOD should be no worse

Does everyone still only play their own productions?

i've seen clips on youtube that show sounds playing other people's dubplates iirc

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Please report back, Matt - I liked your write up of sub dub etc. :cool:

will do. i would have written up young warrior and last weekend's activities in more detail, but i can't access my blog any more (or at least not when i want/need to).

matt b

Indexing all opinion
UoD:

security: tight, but polite (on the whole). they were kicking people out for smoking.

music: early highlight= israel vibration 'why worry' dubplate dropped by aba shanti. by 1 am digi prevailed. iration dropped a luciano dubplate and some mad rave sounding monster. channel one kept it roots, aba shanti i sat in between, playing a lot of dubs by someone i know of, but cannot remember the name of.

the venues' a bit mental, 3 connected long/thin rooms- room one= stalls and bar, room 2= bar and 1 speaker stack from each sound which leads into the main section and gets busy.

crowd was a mixture, a good 5 years older on average than subdub. not too rammed. better for it. felt more like a reggae dance than an e fuelled rave.

whether you'd like it depends on how much you like uk-dub at high volume (it was too loud at times).

i enjoyed it.

shit clips:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=uod+sept&search_type=&aq=f

what was pressure drop like?

john eden

male pale and stale
Oh well that sounds pretty good really! Pleasantly surprised and might try to check it sometime.

Pressure Drop was ok, a bit sparsely populated due to short notice but nice vibes and crowd, good selections of rocksteady / ska / pre-digi dancehall.

Basically a great local session, nice and sociable. I reckon it will grow...

john eden

male pale and stale
Yeah I think so - I didn't make the last one, but I have a flyer at home with details of the guests on it. Will check it tonight.

We should try and meet up...

BareBones

wheezy
hey john, do you know any good reggae nights in the south-east?? i really want to reach one of these but it's such a piss getting home...

john eden

male pale and stale
South East London? Hmmm. Best bet is to check Blood and Fire board. There are some great sessions going on at Brixton town hall these days but that is SW...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
UoD - University of Dub is London Bridge, SE1...

next one looks pretty good:

Dub Foundation
University of Dub presents Roots Dance Rockers...
Presenting the Roots Ambassador

JAH YOUTH
With Ras Echo, Levi Jah, Locks Lee Irie and Crew

From Leeds, the ever inspirational soundz of
IRATION STEPPAS
Vanguard of dub, playing dubz inna year 3000 style

& The Mighty
ABA-SHANTI-I
Earth Rocker Sound of Jah Lightning and Thunder!

Friday 21st November 2008
9pm-6am

SeOne Club
Weston Street, off Tooley Street
London Bridge,
London SE1 3QX United Kingdom
(5 mins from London Bridge Rail Station, Underground and nightbuses).
Record/craft stalls ~ Visuals ~ Bar ~ Daily Bread ~ Chill-out Zone ~ Smoking Area ~ Disabled access ~ All Tribes welcome

Entrance £12 only, pay at the door.

BareBones

wheezy
oh yeah, forgot about university of dub... seOne is such an odd venue though

why is there so much stuff going on the 21st?? That Juan Atkins vs UR night at the coronet sounds pretty tempting.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
oh yeah, forgot about university of dub... seOne is such an odd venue though

why is there so much stuff going on the 21st?? That Juan Atkins vs UR night at the coronet sounds pretty tempting.

UoD only really uses one room, and the sounds take up a lot of room.

aba shanti i always plays, iration play every other one, so its more about the third sound really. i haven't seen jah voice, so don't have an opinion, but they're supposed to be good