rrrivero

Traxman mix looking sweet

@wise: the last track on this mix has bleeps without being a horrendous burden on the ears like that tune at 3:50 :p Haven't managed to find out the ID yet though

Benny Bunter

shit that traxman FACT mix is so fucking distorted though! Thought the overdriven bass sounded pretty cool and ghetto for the first part but then it just gets ridiculous. Bit of a shame cos the selection sounds great and he is a proper proper DJ.

Good new interview and mix (mainly of tracks from the new album) here http://www.urb.com/2012/04/17/68336/

Genuinely think the traxman album deserves all the praise its getting, its probably the best juke release I've ever heard. It just all sounds so classic.

@wise. what do you think of the album? i know you just said you were sick of the old jazz and funk samples, but this album is absolutely dripping in them. my fave Rashad stuff uses those type of samples too.

wise

bare BARE BONES
I bought the Traxman and was a bit underwhelmed for that very reason, have only listened to it once. The acid track was great don't remember the rest.
Funnily enough I listened to it as a Traktor playlist which meant a couple of tunes came out at double speed due to incorrect auto bpm, those were the ones that really made my ears prick up cos they sounded mental, once I realised I slowed them down and they were a bit boring.
I couldn't really get with that Rashad album for the same reason
The footwork all just sounds a bit too smooth to me these days, to keen to sound 'mature'.
Sadly i'm old enough to remember the horrors of Jazz & Bass (no DJ SS no!)
I've heard all the samples they use in the originals and the Hip Hop tunes that sampled them first and i'm really not interested in hearing them again.
I want more stupid pitched up samples and weird noises.
At least a bit more variety in sample sources would be good.
A couple of tunes off that DJ Earl one were ok, he does that Bladerunner dystopian synth thing pretty well which at least makes his tracks stand out a bit.

The thrill has gone sadly

rubberdingyrapids

most mellow footwork is kinda boring tbh. works well in a set to bring the tempo down a bit but its still a bit ho hum. doesnt help that you can instantly place the samples most of the time or that the actual chopping of things like EWF or stevie sound a bit sloppy. traxman album is good but i think most of the praise is like the reason people gave altered natives so much praise - theyve been doing it a while, theres history there, and it shows in the production, hes just really good at getting around a piece of kit and getting good sounds. but the actual tracks i think arent always as exciting as the best stuff on the diamond or roc albums or the first bangs and works. well apart from the acid one which is one of the best things ever.

the mix is a bit tiring on the ears though, yeah. @wise, there is even a 'jazz n bass' track in the traxman mix near the end!

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

the diamond stuff, the first half of his album at least, is more interesting for more downtempo footwork, rather than using completely knackered old soul/funk samples for the umpteenth time. i wouldnt mind really if they were doing it well actually, but they dont even seem to use the good parts!

wise

bare BARE BONES
I'd like to hear more rare groove type stuff like a lot of the junglists sampled, Tom & Jerry and all that, bit more catchy...

wise

bare BARE BONES
Yeah the distortion on that Traxman mix makes it pretty much unlistenable.
I guess that Jazz & Bass track is Rashad absorbing those D&B influences that Aziza mentioned upthread

LSR

I gotta disagree about trax that sample jazz being boring imo, but I think the way you guys picking apart which trax, or which kinds of trax you like or are good or not is sort of missing the point. I've seen rashad and traxman play more than once each and what impressed me more than anything is how many DIFFERENT kinds of trax they had, and how much ground the could cover in terms of the vibe and sonic palette they were playing from, while keeping everything roughly around 160. Whats really great about this music imo is when you have all these different types of tracks, ghetto housey, Jazz & Soul, Pop, Acid etc. overlapping and interacting with each other. I've heard rashad play trax that I thought were kinda boring and too minimal when I first heard them, but mixed into a live set, were incredible.

hopper

that's a definite purchase been after that for time :D

cheers man! sorry to spam as i know its a bit uncooth and off topic, but got a great press release courtesy of Dave Quam on Clent

BLNK002

A few miles directly south of the Magnificent Mile, Chicago’s largest shopping district and go-to tourist destination dating back to the 1940s, lies a neighborhood that might not attract out-of-towners looking to shop at Marc Jacobs, but has proven to be a breeding ground for musical legends of the Windy City. Known as the Low End, an area where notorious public housing projects such as the Robert Taylor Homes and Stateway Gardens once stood tall along South State street before the CHA’s Plan for Transformation of the early 2000s led them to be demolished, was where many Ghetto House and Footwork producers once called home. One of these people is Clenton Hill aka DJ Clent, and his late 90s classic “3rd Wurle” (retitled 3rd World) was a key record in the construction of the sound that kids on the South and West Sides of the city dance to today.

Born into a musical family of DJs, Clent got his start spinning records on his parent’s equipment when they weren’t looking as a toddler. As he grew older he honed his craft playing at various skating rinks, dance competitions, and school parties throughout the city, learning from some of the best DJs of the Low End such as DJ Deeon, DJ Greedy, and DJ PJ. He formed Beat Down, his notorious crew of dancers and DJs in the 90s, and together with fellow member Majik Myke on vocals, he put out some stone cold classics during footwork’s infancy, and changing the game up as the 2000s began. These days Clent is still a force to be reckoned with, still regularly DJing on the South and West Sides of the city, as well as on Power 92, one of Chicago's most popular hip-hop stations.

His first 12” “100% Ghetto” dropped on the legendary local label Dance Mania records in 1998, which featured hits such as Bang Skeet (the original, not DJ Chip’s), We Bout It, and 3rd Wurle, the later of which would become a footwork classic. Its buoyant horns almost drift away, only being held down by the tangle of claps placed for dancers to follow suite. If you survey 10 footworkers, 8 of them will most likely call this one a favorite, and even the younger generation of today considers it a favorite. Over a decade after its creation, 3rd Wurle still sounds fresh, alien, and downright evil.

wise

bare BARE BONES
I gotta disagree about trax that sample jazz being boring imo, but I think the way you guys picking apart which trax, or which kinds of trax you like or are good or not is sort of missing the point. I've seen rashad and traxman play more than once each and what impressed me more than anything is how many DIFFERENT kinds of trax they had, and how much ground the could cover in terms of the vibe and sonic palette they were playing from, while keeping everything roughly around 160. Whats really great about this music imo is when you have all these different types of tracks, ghetto housey, Jazz & Soul, Pop, Acid etc. overlapping and interacting with each other. I've heard rashad play trax that I thought were kinda boring and too minimal when I first heard them, but mixed into a live set, were incredible.

Yeah it's all about variety, i'm just not hearing enough variety in the releases at the moment

Ory

warp drive
it'll be on vinyl, and judging by blank mind's first release, it'll get decent distribution (redeye, chemical etc).

that adrian lenz 12" was sick btw, i gotta cop that at some point. i like the artwork style too.

Last edited: