rrrivero

cheers, wise, I missed that hardcore track, it's ace. Trainwreck's pretty mental yeah, I hope Dave explores that direction further

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
roc uploaded some more madness to his soundcloud recently. this one's a fucking belter, must be a film sample or something -

https://soundcloud.com/djroc-1/redemption

also avery from tribe's recent elegant energy ep's a good bit of afrofuturist mentalism,

https://soundcloud.com/avery-76/sets/elega

don't know if anyone else noticed, but there's a lot of footwork around london at the moment. seem to hear it out most times i go out these days!

from what i can tell it tends to be more random soundcloud remixes that ppl are playing out (heard an alt-j rmx out the other day -yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck...) than actual chicago stuff, which is a shame - but good for the sound still! guess it's just easier to get hold of.

om unit did a wicked 100% footwork type stuff set with some wicked halfstep hip hop bits thrown in at his label party recently - fucking ace. v futuristic.

scratcha dva also mentioned juke in an interview with fabric recently (not the first time for him either...), said lots of good things,

http://www.fabriclondon.com/blog/view/the-cornerstone-tracks-of-scratcha-dva/

oh yea, and rashad and traxman's albums seem to be topping just about every dance music chart for 2012 imaginable (spin number 1 and 2 dance albums, and no 10 for someone from the nytimes off the top of my head...) - so in many ways in the UK i guess now it really is getting to be "the new dubstep" circa '04 or something (in a kind of weird, splintered, internet-ty, imported kind of way...).

definitely good to see it enjoying success offline as well as online as this year comes to a close :D

Last edited:

datwun

Anyone who likes juke/footwork and lives in the capital should make it down to this tonight!!
The last one was a cracker~

rubberdingyrapids

i want to hear grime guys do something with footwork rather than more post-dubstep ppl or artists just jumping on it cos its 'innovative' or novel etc.

but its cool to have something new around, even if it isnt new in chicago.

banshee

i want to hear grime guys do something with footwork rather than more post-dubstep ppl or artists just jumping on it cos its 'innovative' or novel etc.

but its cool to have something new around, even if it isnt new in chicago.

but if grime guys did something with it, surely they'd be doing it also because its innovative or novel too? or would you just judge their interpretations differently because they're grime guys hmm

post dubstep ppl = jumping on sounds, self concious, arty, trying too hard to be future
grime guys = natural, authentic etc. - thats how it works isnt it correct me if im wrong... :rolleyes:

... theres definitely more 808s in grime these days (though thats the trap influence mainly im sure) . listen to the snares that come in around 1:15 in Leon Best though, probably the only fwork influence in grime that comes to mind, i dunno, could just be coincidence or hiphop inspired

rubberdingyrapids

i meant it more in the sense that footwork and grime have more in common in terms of the scenes and the rougher, underproduced sonics than most post dubstep so id imagine they might be a good fit.... i mean, i could easily see someone like dexplicit - well dexplicit from about 5 years ago lol - doing a footwork track. im surprised someone like royal t hasnt played around with it yet seeing as he seems to be incorporating pretty much everything else these days.

Last edited:

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Does anyone know the two tracks playing from about 7:00 onwards, the first with the Michael Jackson vocal sample and the second with the Aaliyah bassline in it?

To be honest, I'd like to know all of them.

datwun

What I'd like to see is some grime MCs spitting on footwork. Some of the ones without prominent vocal loops, the dark minimal ones are just screaming for it.

banshee

Who remembers this?
also this eskijuke classic, Silverlink was sick &g=bb">&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%%"> ">

It's strange because you'd think footwork jungle would be a perfect marriage because both original sounds are so rude and don't really give a shit

But that psuedogeddon mixtape is like the most boring interpretation of any of this music yet. It's just so fucking dry, no hype, no energy.

As for "grime producers need to make juke!!" why can't they just make grime. They're both local scenes (less so grime now but still) and that's why they work. All this internet cross-pollination just makes for fucking rubbish music- it's why there's so much terrible footwork to begin with.

The Spinn "...Teklife 2" album is brilliant, re stuff that came out last year. Taye's Overdose On Teklife was great too.

gremino

Moster Sirphine
i think the idea of jungle footwork would work if being executed in a right way. right now alot of them are superficially/artificially combined - sounds like there's just jungle breaks & samples glued on footwork beats, when the combining should be more deeper, like working with attitudes of the genres. dunno how that would work in practice tho :D, but somewhere like that i would aim at.

rubberdingyrapids

the whole idea of marrying juke and jungle is way too self knowing for it to ever be anything that good or interesting. its like a lab experiment all set up to work but just doesnt. that phillip k dick thing from a while back was technically very good but actually just boring, like a load of jungle tropes and staple elements stuck onto footwork but never feeling like it was done from inside, it all sounded like it was at a remove from either side. face it, all this talk about how footwork should go with this, or footwork needs to be jumped on by london producers is all a bit contrived and will likely never lead anywhere. if footcrab came out now, not many people would care as much as they did a few years back as we all know what proper footwork sounds like now. i.e. proper footwork will pretty much always trump outsider attempts to work it into something else. well apart from one or two of the mark pritchard things he did, but even those sounded like clinical exercises.

still, if theres some modern jeff mills type of producer lurking around detroit or chicago who wants to come out with some intellectual high concept footwork, id be interested to hear it.

i would also like to hear some mainstream pop artist do some footwork sort of thing. im sure someone will work in some footwork drums into some pop hit soon enough. or some salem or gang gang dance will be messing around with it, if they havent already.

Last edited:

rrrivero

love that grootwork track :f J-Cush aka Aziza's originally from the UK iirc so I guess that explains the grime sample

banshee

the whole idea of marrying juke and jungle is way too self knowing for it to ever be anything that good or interesting. its like a lab experiment all set up to work but just doesnt. that phillip k dick thing from a while back was technically very good but actually just boring, like a load of jungle tropes and staple elements stuck onto footwork but never feeling like it was done from inside, it all sounded like it was at a remove from either side. face it, all this talk about how footwork should go with this, or footwork needs to be jumped on by london producers is all a bit contrived and will likely never lead anywhere. if footcrab came out now, not many people would care as much as they did a few years back as we all know what proper footwork sounds like now. i.e. proper footwork will pretty much always trump outsider attempts to work it into something else. well apart from one or two of the mark pritchard things he did, but even those sounded like clinical exercises.

I agree with you about the footwork v jungle stuff tbh but to say that UK producers could never take something from footwork without it being contrived or weaker than footwork seems like a bit of a jump. it doesnt have to be contrived, its just a fresh sound to be inspired by and draw from. People have been exposed to this massive amount of amazing music that they've not heard anything like before, how can they not be inspired by it and take something from it, at least a few elements, and whats wrong with that? UK producers have always been inspired by what America's doing and have taken from it to make something new. its natural not contrived.

And i hate this idea that if a producer is aware of what they're doing the music they make will be shit or 'contrived', its ridiculous, of course producers think a lot about what they're doing and what they want to achieve why wouldn't they. Its like you only like music thats made by accident.

rubberdingyrapids

true enough - its a mistake to buy into the all art is unconscious idea, i guess some of what ive heard just sounds too theoretical. im all for uk artists doing something with it, and just cos i think footcrab is more footdrab than anything else than doesnt mean that with time, something really good could come out of it, i just think a fair amount of the attempts to incorporate footwork have been a bit premature (understandably though, people will naturally want to incorporate something they think is exciting). i think this type of thing will take time. hopefully people dont forget about footwork like they did bmore club etc.

banshee

i would also like to hear some mainstream pop artist do some footwork sort of thing. im sure someone will work in some footwork drums into some pop hit soon enough. or some salem or gang gang dance will be messing around with it, if they havent already.

Definitely always thought that the drums in Kanye's 'All of the Lights' were taken from footwork.. being from Chi, Kanye surely has to be aware of it at least and he leeches on everything new so it wouldnt surprise me..
Yeah Salem are from Chicago and one of the guys made footwork before they started the band i think