Trillhouse

Presets on commerically avail synths have as long a history as samples
so that point doesnt really run
Come on, that seems even more tenuous than your original point.

The insistence on not using presets comes from very much outside of Grime. Whereas, the culture that created and defined almost everything about sampling in the modern MPC style context, has strict self imposed rules. It's not hard to argue that most of the Chicago footwork producers (especially Traxman) have taken cues from that world and seem to see themselves fitting somewhere in it's lineage, because they long to do production work for rappers. So it's relevant, within that culture.
But all my original point was.. It's hard to come up within that world, that hip hop mindset, then to hear someone pretty lazily chopping up whole bars of the same samples that were rinsed out 15-20 years ago and think that shit is fresh.

Maybe Footwork producers don't care about that shit. Within the context of making trax for the battlegrounds, or wherever, it probably doesn't matter. Quite the opposite, as the dancers probably want to hear something familiar. But shit is bigger than that now. Most of the people who buy a Lit City release will have never even seen an actual battle except on youtube, even fewer will actually be dancers.

-

I do see the point you're trying to make, the similarities, and why 'my' point of view can come across like whiny outsiders hating on the sound. There's just way too much context and history with sampling, especially those familiar samples, that just doesn't really compare to Grime and presets.

In the end Footwork doesn't begin and end with classic 70s soul samples and it's a perfectly valid viewpoint to like or dislike one part of the sound and discuss new releases within that context. Considering how dead this place has been lately, I don't find it pointless.

rubberdingyrapids

some of the sampling done in footwork (even by guys like rashad and spinn) is how hip hop producers used to sample in 85/86. pretty crude. obv i know thats all part of footworks appeal (im not sure if ive already written this) but i cant help but think that thats a bit weird considering its 2013 and im sure rashad and spinn grew up during and are very aware of 'classic' hip hop. but then maybe sampling has gotten too smooth, and footwork is here to fuck up our ideas around it again (even if i sometimes think its just done 'badly').

though to be fair, sampling in modern hip hop isnt what it was either. most sampling is pretty basic now. obv premier and pete rock and those producers are still doing some intricate stuff with it, but most younger producers keep the loops pretty simple. i think thats echoed in a lot of footwork - its not really about how you flip the sample, but just that its being used.

firefly

wow, this is on some obscure kodwo tip. can't say i enjoyed reading it. when it comes to wire writers and footwork, i really admire rory gibb. he gets all poetic and shit, but is always spot on. writing for others to understand, not to exhibit himself

you

wow, this is on some obscure kodwo tip. can't say i enjoyed reading it. when it comes to wire writers and footwork, i really admire rory gibb. he gets all poetic and shit, but is always spot on. writing for others to understand, not to exhibit himself

Yeah, Rory Gibb had a great piece in Wire 352 - meant to quote him actually....

rubberdingyrapids - totally agree, jungle/footwork is not the future.

Tim Reaper

green bay crew.
bit tired of the jungle/footwork comparisons now. jungle/footwork hybrids are not the future.
+1

Also, does anyone know what happened to Rashad?
7177a0ac221811e3b05d22000a1f9375_7.jpg

Last edited:

wise

bare BARE BONES
enjoyed that dj earl more than the rashad, don't know if it's just the length though.
70 odd mins of footwork just gets a bit much unless i'm in a very specific mood

Benny Bunter

this rashad album is brilliant on first couple of listens, enjoying it more than teklife vol 1 so far. it seems like more of a cohesive album taking in more influences, without going down the overly-eclectic route. I'm highly suspicious of the whole footwork/jungle fusion thing but the amen-y bits work well here i reckon.

still getting into the new traxman album but its obviously much more tracky and ghetto sounding. its great also but there's no way you can listen to the whole thing in one go though.

firefly

double cup is a great collection of tracks. a lot of healthy restraint going on, tasteful use of breaks, rashad really is an omnivore.

Trillhouse

some typically odd japanese juke with a pretty amazing video. kinda nsfw (especially if there's japanese speakers about)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oOa3skIlBIc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>