wonky

Rustie BTS radio mix

Rustie - Lucky Intro
DJ Mitsu - Negative Ion (Sa-Ra Remix) (Raw Fusion)
Jay-Z Feat. Beanie Sigel - Ignorant Shit (Roc-A-Fella)
Hudson Mohawke - Waldo's Gift (CDR)
Keak Da Sneak - That Go (CDR)
Fat Joe Feat. Lil Wayne - The Crack House (Instrumental) (Terror Squad)
Dabrye Feat. Phat Kat and J Dilla - Game Over (Ghostly)
Flying Lotus - Massage Situation (Warp)
Chingy Feat. Ludacris and Bobby Valentino - Gimme Dat (DTP)
Cupp Cave - Beat #003 (CDR)
J Dilla - The $ (Madlib Remix) (Stones Throw)
Brandy - What About Us (Rustie Remix) (CDR)
edIT - Certified Air Raid Material (Alpha Pup)
Danny Breaks - The Jellyfish (Alphabet Zoo)
Mike Slott - Flunky (All City)
Usher Feat. Ludacris - Dat Girl Right There (Arista)
PRGz Feat. Jackie Chain - Rollin (Rustie Remix) (CDR)
Ciara - Get Up (Hudson Mohawke Retwizzle) (CDR)
Snoop Dogg - Sexual Eruption (Geffen)
Rustie - Zig-Zag (Wireblock)

Harmonic 313 mix

1 Harmonic 313 lab ident – Harmonic 313 – Warp records
2 Battle valley – (Harmonic 313 edit) – Jeroen tel & Christian Huus – 1989 Vibrants
3 Motherfuckeeeeer – Slugabed – Stuff Records
4 Cyclotron – Harmonic 313 – Warp records
5 Ab – original – Flying Lotus - Cdr
6 Polkadot Blues – Hudson Mohawke – Warp records
7 Fort teen – Dorian Concept – Kindred Spirits
8 No way out (remix) – Harmonic 313 – Warp records
9 Konotakosuke – Dizz 1 – Cdr
10 Shangrila – Floating point - Cdr
11 Music Substitute System – Harmonic 313 – Warp records
12 Zappity Zip Zip - Danny breaks – Alphabet Zoo records
13 Dilla beat - Jaydee
14 Dutty – Harmonic 313 – Warp records
15 Battlestar feat Phat kat and Elzhi (Remix clean) – Warp records

Many people into Floating Points? really loving the Radiality tune on this 7"

that Rustie mix looks f*****

nah I'm not "opposed" to anything - where did you get that idea? saying you're not into something isn't "opposing" it, that's ridiculous. not to mention, how can you be opposed to something if it's so poorly defined that no one can describe it? allso I wouldn't deny that these guys have had their moments - mostly from Joker (who uncoincidentally seems most tied to an actual scene/sound), a couple from Zomby, frankly mostly of the Scottish stuff has left me cold as has most of FlyLo's output.

my point is - what do ppl actually find interesting about this, sonically? as you say yourself, a lot of it sounds like a bunch of cool stuff - bit of J, crunk, dubstep proper, some Drexciya perhaps, some classic acid, 80s funk, etc etc. - slapped together in mostly uninteresting ways. the main selling point seems to be eclecticism which always makes me dubious.

if no one can explain what they actually like about it then that's fair, man should enjoy anything they want.

lets not do the Dissensus thing man lol. you did post earlier that you can't see why this stuff is liked etc. what I'm tryna say is that...if you 'stand' like that...anyway sonically...? it aint the cool thing bit. its just good new interesting instrumental Hip-Hop heavily influenced by one of the OG beatmakers of recent times. there's a lot of s*** around but that's with anything

unlike Dubstep or whatever I can hear where this could go so it deads off the longeivity of the stuff but as long as it turns up at leat 5 classic tracks I'm haps

I like Flying Lotus because it is hip hop that makes me excited at a time when no hip hop makes me excited anymore.

but I swear me and Sick Boy are f****** seperated at birth lol. FL is one of those guys that will live on past the initial spotlight of this. I can almost guarantee that his next album will not be Hip Hop...or be more something else than Hip Hop

hey guys. enough with the complaining about this being a genre or not. who cares?

I just read about 20 pages of comments, most of which were pointless.

could we please just get back to talking about what tunes are good, what artists are good, what mixes are good?

all this debate is just ridiculous

i think we all know what we're refering to when one says "wonky." doesnt matter if you think it's a genre or not. let's talk about the music.

that's all well and good but a lot of us lived under Grime going belly up from the name not helping (aswell as all the monumental internal f***ups). forced names end up affecting the music either drawing in lazy musicians or forcing out established names. Dubstep forced out Kode9/Hyperdub but that was a situation done well as he's gone on to release good things. it don't always work like that

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
what I'm tryna say is that...if you 'stand' like that...anyway sonically...? it aint the cool thing bit. its just good new interesting instrumental Hip-Hop heavily influenced by one of the OG beatmakers of recent times. there's a lot of s*** around but that's with anything...

I don't "stand" like nothing tho whatever...mainly I was just trying to see what ppl who are feeling it more, what quality or vibe or whatever they're feeling from it see ...cos frankly there's not a ton of new music (as in "new", not just new releases), aside from the garagier side of dubstep it's the only new stuff I've really been checking - I had/have high hopes for this sonic axis feel like they've kinda been disappointed - tho maybe that's just me wanting it to be something it's not, & hey...

as long as it turns up at leat 5 classic tracks I'm haps

fair play.

also if I thought any of this was going to damage anyone's career or anything I'd just hold my tongue - I mean we're just talking shit on a message board, it's not like anyone's gonna be "oh some guy on the internet doesn't like my work? I'm done for then, might as well just give up music"

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I don't "stand" like nothing tho whatever...mainly I was just trying to see what ppl who are feeling it more, what quality or vibe or whatever they're feeling from it see

I think I can do a little something exlplaing this, which might be helpful as I reckon my initial doubts about it were similar to yours, but it will have to hold tight until I've written the postal service I promised Vim. Fuck, I hate these proper posts where I actually have to think before I type! ;);)

ether

Zomby
Myspace bulletin:

10 Mar 2009, 11:55
Subject: ZOMBY, SIMON REYNOLDS, WONKY & KETAMINE.
Body: No one does Ketamine ..i thought it died in the late 80's after that shitty Madonna tour ended, maybe you know more.....

though i have seen a crusty white dude with dreadlocks rolling around in his own puke 'going off on K' in Brixton not long back ..dunno how inspirational a event for a artist that is however.

None of us make 'wonky'...the notion is similar in descriptive terms to calling Heavy Metal 'Loud' or Jungle 'Fast' ..

its fairly unimaginative and ignorant by this point, at first the term was used loosely as it was a playful in-joke for producers working in disharmonic structure or notation, to make the link to Ketamine is wild.

Next time you write a piece in a national newspaper try have some accuracy or even some intellectual property on the creativity or artisty of the music/artists rather than lowest common denominator music journalism i.e 'Drugs & a new music'.

Last edited:

Algierstwin

Zomby
Myspace bulletin:

10 Mar 2009, 11:55
Subject: ZOMBY, SIMON REYNOLDS, WONKY & KETAMINE.
Body: No one does Ketamine ..i thought it died in the late 80's after that shitty Madonna tour ended, maybe you know more.....

though i have seen a crusty white dude with dreadlocks rolling around in his own puke 'going off on K' in Brixton not long back ..dunno how inspirational a event for a artist that is however.

None of us make 'wonky'...the notion is similar in descriptive terms to calling Heavy Metal 'Loud' or Jungle 'Fast' ..

its fairly unimaginative and ignorant by this point, at first the term was used loosely as it was a playful in-joke for producers working in disharmonic structure or notation, to make the link to Ketamine is wild.

Next time you write a piece in a national newspaper try have some accuracy or even some intellectual property on the creativity or artisty of the music/artists rather than lowest common denominator music journalism i.e 'Drugs & a new music'.

this should be case closed as far as I am concerned. . .

Repulse

I was disapointed with the Slugabed record on stuff. Sure ODB and Rick James remixes have the 'corny/fun' factor but I swear they are Sluga's worst tunes. Hope the Ramp release will be better. Hes definitely one of the most interesting hiphop producers imo (outside of Glasgow anyway)

I love 'Kittens' on his myspaz
http://www.myspace.com/slugabedmusic

Last edited:

tom lea

i dunno, i think odb is one of those tunes that works on every level - there's that heavy, heavy drop at the start, the ghost box-y wobble to it, the way he's made the vocal sample sound really mournful; i think it's great.

Repulse

i dunno, i think odb is one of those tunes that works on every level - there's that heavy, heavy drop at the start, the ghost box-y wobble to it, the way he's made the vocal sample sound really mournful; i think it's great.

OK I actually quite like ODB. I guess Im just dissapointed the whole vocal didnt clear :( Still not feeling Superphreak one bit.

Last edited:
I was disapointed with the Slugabed record on stuff. Sure ODB and Rick James remixes have the 'corny/fun' factor but I swear they are Sluga's worst tunes. Hope the Ramp release will be better. Hes definitely one of the most interesting hiphop producers imo (outside of Glasgow anyway)

I agree on the Rick James but that ODB song is pretty ill.

Slugabed is a recent discovery, he definitely shows a lot of potential. I like his song "The System", real banger.

moolac

Slugabed has a load of his own fresh shit coming on Stuff soon... and the tracks are great. this was just a very limited 2 tracker odd remix type thing.