wonky

CrowleyHead

I think Hudson Mohawke has the potential to be great. Right now though, he's marred by his inability to really make his style stick together... It's still a bit too scattered. Does he want to do "Overnight", does he want to follow this sort of post-Dilla vibe like Mike Slott's chasing, does he want to get more into his funk or prog influences...

However, he did finally officially release ZOOOOOM... So Butter isn't a total waste.

Not that I'm going to change anyone's mind but I think you lot are entirely wrong about Butter. Listened to back to front it's an epic journey that is surprisingly cohesive. The beats are true, the drums are out of this world and his overall style is actually quite refreshing with the requisite amount of cheese enabling you to not take all this so seriously. I also don't understand how this album could sound 'rushed' discounting his old tunes there isn't a song that sounds quickly thrown together from the scrap heap.

Honestly just turn the volume up to 11, drop some biscuits with your friends and enjoy.

How could you possibly deny FUSE?

If you're bored by this album what actually gets your blood flowing then?

Last edited:

IanTheM

Tame Horse
Not that I'm going to change anyone's mind but I think you lot are entirely wrong about Butter. Listened to back to front it's an epic journey that is surprisingly cohesive. The beats are true, the drums are out of this world and his overall style is actually quite refreshing with the requisite amount of cheese enabling you to not take all this so seriously. I also don't understand how this album could sound 'rushed' discounting his old tunes there isn't a song that sounds quickly thrown together from the scrap heap.

Honestly just turn the volume up to 11, drop some biscuits with your friends and enjoy.

It's really hard to push your mind past what his tunes are built up on. Some of the way he samples would never fly for a producer other than him, you'd send it to someone and they'd just laugh and tell you to learn how to use a sampler. However, it IS a good album I"ll say. Not a masterwork or anything, not cohesive, actually it's kind of a really ugly record (though that probably part of his stylistic intention) that grows on you. Once its grown on you though you're not sure if you really like it, or if you just accept it. I'll admit some of his riffs were stuck in my head when I was at work, after listening to album through on the train.

hopper

I haven't listened to it in full properly but the 3 or 4 tunes and sampler I've heard I find kinda nasty sounding. I find it kinda tacky and irritating in a way. I've always thought his stuff has a kinda grating digital element to it, although Rustie has this a bit - I find his tunes more measured and satisfying.

albums that get my blood flowing - animal collective, tv on the radio and deerhunter have been my favourite ones of recent times I spose.

stephenk

yeah the "tackiness" is what makes me dislike it...FUSE, star crackout, and zooooom are nice because they aren't really in tune with that kitsch.
i think the main thing is that it rehashes 80s electro funk/boogie/whatever as jokey...which, come to think of it, it often is...i guess it is legit to make a goofy, gaudy rehash of that music because the originals were that way as well.
like how people talk about modern disco edits taking all the fun parts out of the records, and as far as 80s funk sounds are concerned, projects like dam-funk and thriller do similar refined/serious takes...so i guess i don't really like "butter" much because i hate fun

Alfons

Way of the future
yeah the "tackiness" is what makes me dislike it...FUSE, star crackout, and zooooom are nice because they aren't really in tune with that kitsch.
i think the main thing is that it rehashes 80s electro funk/boogie/whatever as jokey...which, come to think of it, it often is...i guess it is legit to make a goofy, gaudy rehash of that music because the originals were that way as well.
like how people talk about modern disco edits taking all the fun parts out of the records, and as far as 80s funk sounds are concerned, projects like dam-funk and thriller do similar refined/serious takes...so i guess i don't really like "butter" much because i hate fun

I thought Butter was a lot less "ironic" and "goofy" about the sounds, i.e. I don't think his tracks are trying to be clever or funny (like a lot of other w*nky stuff is), just melodic and catchy. Think Hudson's knack for melody is his best trait the lines aren't obvious but they kind of sneak up on you as an earworm.

It's really hard to push your mind past what his tunes are built up on. Some of the way he samples would never fly for a producer other than him, you'd send it to someone and they'd just laugh and tell you to learn how to use a sampler.
I don't follow?

However, it IS a good album I"ll say. Not a masterwork or anything, not cohesive, actually it's kind of a really ugly record (though that probably part of his stylistic intention) that grows on you. Once its grown on you though you're not sure if you really like it, or if you just accept it. I'll admit some of his riffs were stuck in my head when I was at work, after listening to album through on the train.

This is kind of how I felt, some really good tunes on there (zoooom, fuse, gluetooth, 3:30), but it doesn't really feel cohesive and the vocal bits Im not too sure about.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Grievous Angel has an ear for the wonky we reckon, there's a bit of it in nearly all his tracks, if not in sound by construction/production.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Don't want to get too parochial here, but am I supposed to be getting tickets for the Butter launch, or is it just a turn up early affair? It seems like the kind of info Cobretti / Jack / Andy / someone else from Glasgow could provide.

I haven't actually head Butter yet, does this make me horribly out of the loop? Is it even out yet? I (maybe naively) assumed that said launch party would coincide with it's, you know, launch. I'd quite happily buy the vinyl just so I can bang out 'No One Could Ever' and 'Zo0o0o0oetcm'.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Oh God, yeah.. music.. in Glasgow... jeezo, I am so ridiculously out of the loop with all this, already. Not a good look for someone trying to get a job writing about this stuff for the List. Really have to make it out to some nights over the next month or so. To the Glasgow Events thread to catch up on what's happening!