Favourite break

muser

Duke ellington's Blue Pepper (Far East of the Blues) havnt ever heard it actually sampled though have considered many times, (would interested if anyone has heard it being sampled?). For production and for its use in tracks -> think break.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Thanks again for all the suggestions, working my way through the newer ones. That Bob James track has a very 'refined' feel to it, the polo neck comment seems spot on.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
soul pride is my favourite

original tune at low quality - http://www.rolldabeats.com/audio/breaks/james_brown-soul_pride.mp3

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

seems that most of my favourites are the ones that got caned by the no u turn people though basically.. Life Could is a good one, tough but loose -

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

although it's layered with tighten up for a lot of that one, it's among the most militantly grim things I've ever heard. it still grooves though

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
And so it continues...

Do people reckon it would be worth picking up any of the Ultimate Breaks and Beats compilations? (And can you, these days, without massive difficulty/expense?)

hint

party record with a siren
And so it continues...

Do people reckon it would be worth picking up any of the Ultimate Breaks and Beats compilations? (And can you, these days, without massive difficulty/expense?)

It's a great collection and contains many straight up great songs, from The Monkees to ESG. Will be a real eye-opener too, if you're not too familiar with much of it.

There's a CD boxset of the whole collection for about £40 I think, which is probably the best way to pick it up. The vinyl gets reissued every few years or so, but it would cost a lot to pick them all up at once - 25 records at about £10 a pop.

EDIT: wow, what a strange world we live in: UBB USB... http://www.turntablelab.com/books_design/103/99/61294.html

Or you could track down Q Bert's "Demolition Pumpkin Squeeze Music" mix, which is one of the best DJ mixes ever and made up entirely of UBB tracks.

Last edited:

urbanite

subnoto
Think Break... I guess... it's really simple, just as over used as the Amen probably... but I love how it has those little vocal bits in it that can make tunes in of themselves by simply pitching them :)

it's probably my favourite only because I love this song too much:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
soul pride is my favourite

original tune at low quality - http://www.rolldabeats.com/audio/breaks/james_brown-soul_pride.mp3

Yeah, that's amazing! First track I really remember that in was Digable Planets, which are certainly not as brutal and militant, etc. as some may like... but this tune did mess with my head at the time... when I was just first getting into beats I found the timing of it pretty weird. Love that two bar phrase with no kick on the one of the second bar. Awesome.