What are you writing?

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Ha ha, I know...good luck with that! But you've got to give things a go, haven't you? Better to die heartbroken than bored.

I know all about giving this lark a go....so many words in folders in draws. Don't let it break your heart - instead, revel in the fact that you're creating something.
You know all about the publishing game, I'm sure - millions of words on the 'slush pile'.
I no longer work at novels, but really wish you all the best. As Chesterton (I think) said: lower your standards and keep going (!).

Lichen

Getting the best result when you let your home means securing two things: the highest possible price and the best possible tenant.

Woebot

Well, at the geriatric age of 32 I have started to write my own novel. It's started off as an unholy mix of Anthony Powell, Kingsley Amis, Jay McInerney, Joseph Heller, Evelyn Waugh and Morecai Richler: A Dance to the Music of Time, Lucky Jim, Brightness Falls, Good as Gold, Vile Bodies and Barney’s Version relocated to Coalition Think Tank land, a kind of neoconservative roman a clef. You lot will probably hate it, but I thought I’d write the book I want to read, and see if it’s any good. It's enormous fun to write at the moment, but it's sure to turn into something entriely different by the time I get to page 200 or draft 3 or whatever.

well it sounds thoroughly readable oliver. which is more than i can say etc.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
In case you need help...

I believe the Teach Yourself publishers are about to put out Teach Yourself How To Write Anti-Linear Narrative Post-Modernist Texts In Defiance Of Bourgeois Literary Rules. Look forward to that.

luka

craners the only person i know that i think is capable of writing a satisfactory novel. i hope he finishes it. i have doubts about the firmness of his resolve.

craner

Beast of Burden
Well, I think I'm going to start with some short stories first, rather than bite off a big one straight away. Sean Shapiro went right for the Opus, and he's been at it for as long as I've known him, which is 9 years. I'm not that patient; also, I have no Opus to waste 9 years composing. I might rip off Maupassant as a template and take it from there. This is all high strategy, Luke.

Last edited:

grizzleb

Well good luck with the creative process craner - I wish I had some advice to give. Have fun wid dat bitch.

bobbin

What
Thank you.

Incidentally, what journals publish short fiction (and what are they like)?

Granta is certainly not exclusively fiction (just 'new writing') but they do publish fiction. Not read it much but it seems to be good and well respected.

swears

preppy-kei
"If I was a Bear"

If I was a bear I don't think my life would change that much. I would still drink Erdinger. Bears can drink alcohol, they just don't have any money. I could get money by doing my job like now, I'd need a special keyboard, though. People in my office would be confused but I think they'd get used to it, that's discrimination otherwise, right? Not sure if I'd like to just walk around naked, even though I guess most bears do. I'd have to order an XXXL hoodie online from a fat guy website, but that's OK. I could still have a girlfriend. I'd wear sunglasses, a baseball cap and a gold chain, then she'd just think I was a big hairy "party bro". Girls like that, right? I'd be all like "Don't be scared, I'm just a bear, relaxing, drinking an Erdinger in Weatherspoons with his human girlfriend, wearing Raybans and enjoying the Tex-Mex platter."

I think bears have it alright, y'know.