Reynolds hardcore continuum event

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
'breaky' as in rhythm 'drum patterns' = sampled funk drum breaks ? in clasical music ? breaky drum patterns in -early- 2oth Ctry CLASSICAL music ? rlly ? cld u steer me in that direction of one ... ? thanks !

There aren't "sampled" funk drums in classical music, but there certainly are some artists who foreshadow the work of jazz and funk artists like Sun Ra and Miles Davis... ever heard Varese? Stockhausen? Birtwistle? Boulez? Feldman? Nono? Still? Barie? Vivier? Shapiro?

nomadthethird

no & frankly I don't care. we're not talking about physics.

Continuum is a mathematical concept used by physicist. It has little purchase anywhere else.

there was one offhanded, flip remark, probably referring to DJ/rupture (one of the only Americans who is well-versed in Deleuze). you make it sound as if SR & Kpunk have embarked on some kind of murderous campaign to destroy all the "Deleuzians".

Oh, jeez, are you ever the dramatist. As I've already pointed out, there were in fact several of these statements, and I simply responded directly to these comments (made by both SR and Kpunk) about American "Deleuzians" and asked specifically who was meant (since there are precious few of these people, especially in the American press) and if they'd mind naming them.

I was hardly the only one here who wondered what was meant by this, either. Check John Eden and mos dan's posts. Apparently I wasn't the only one who was puzzled by these statements.

whatever

There aren't "sampled" funk drums in classical music, but there certainly are some artists who foreshadow the work of jazz and funk artists like Sun Ra and Miles Davis... ever heard Varese? Stockhausen? Birtwistle? Boulez? Feldman? Nono? Still? Barie? Vivier? Shapiro?
hahahahha fine then , name one piece , and preferably measure , & i will see
you said "early 20th Century CLASSICAL music":
stockhausen's just died ,first piece in 51 , he famously hated repetition and AFRICAN rdrums
birtwistle is STILL ALIVE
Boulez , DITTO but he loves african drums true , still can't wait to see teh piece u name
feldman make a breaky beat , hahahah good one

nomadthethird

hahahahha fine then , name one piece , and preferably measure , & i will see
you said "early 20th Century CLASSICAL music":
stockhausen's just died ,first piece in 51 , he famously hated repetition and AFRICAN rdrums
birtwistle is STILL ALIVE
Boulez , DITTO but he loves african drums true , still can't wait to see teh piece u name
feldman make a breaky beat , hahahah good one

I didn't say he made a breaky beat, I said their work foreshadowed the work of the funk and jazz artists that the breakbeats sample and the jungle musicians were influenced by.

whatever

If you have some years, why don't you talk about it? Instead of just trolling?
it is teh internet , series of tubes , i talk what i want to talk about , point is , talkin bout formal training means absolutely NOTHING unles u can coherently apply it in an argumetn , for which i see exactly zero - and i do mean zero - evidence that u have done here yet . is that fair ? u said u could write out remarc tune , you said that "breaky drum patterns" were in early 20th C music . sooo, ? show us or give a link or something . standard .

the hole point of anonymous forum is taht arguments stand or fall on substance of posts , not autobiography , who cares about formal training claimes , everyone could be lying , and more important still, having many years of forml trainning assures absolutely nothing .

teh internet is beautiful b/c of htis but also ugly .

nomadthethird

it is teh internet , series of tubes , i talk what i want to talk about , point is , talkin bout formal training means absolutely NOTHING unles u can coherently apply it in an argumetn , for which i see exactly zero - and i do mean zero - evidence that u have done here yet . is that fair ? u said u could write out remarc tune , you said that "breaky drum patterns" were in early 20th C music . sooo, ? show us or give a link or something . standard .

the hole point of anonymous forum is taht arguments stand or fall on substance of posts , not autobiography , who cares about formal training claimes , everyone could be lying , and more important still, having many years of forml trainning assures absolutely nothing .

teh internet is beautiful b/c of htis but also ugly .

All of the classical artists I listed were WILDLY influential in terms of their impact on funk and jazz, which in turn influenced harcore, jungle, etc.

Helloooooo. My whole point has always been that I don't find it useful to isolate music historically. Ever. It doesn't make sense, because no music is historically isolated from outside influences. The HCC theory just sometimes seems lacking in this respect. That is all.

I frankly don't care if you disagree that much. You're not changing my mind with enthusiasm for the music. So-and-so's enthusiasm for breakbeats does not make me think that they're super innovative. I think that things like entirely different tonal systems are innovative.

It's simply a question of different standards.

nomadthethird

I don't think you know what you're talking about. scratching & using turntables to extend breakbeats isn't the same as using drum machines & looping sampled breakbeats. hip hop was made with live bands well into the early 80s. i.e. "Rapper's Delight" being an interpolation of "Good Times" or "White Lines" of "Cavern" by Liquid Liquid, played by a live backing band - the Sugar Hill house band (Wimbush/McDonald/Leblanc) are the guys Adrian Sherwood nicked to become the house band for On-U Sound. around '82-83 electro brought drum machines, but drum machine programming is stilla whole different thing from looped breakbeats. Marley Marl kicked that off around ~85 & dudes (Paul C & EPMD & whoever) were chopping 'em up pretty fine by ~89 when East London bboys like Shut Up & Dance started combining hip hop breaks with house (which admittedly was being done at roughly the same time by the Brooklyn freestyle/techno guys - Frankie Bones, Lenny Dee etc.) & ragga deejays (which no one had done before) they picked off of reggae soundsystems to form what would become ardkore & then jungle. no one anywhere had sped up & processed breakbeats or combined them with subbass or put diva vocals pirated from disco or house over the top of it before that.

the point being, at least get it half right if you're going to make a statement like that.

Did I say it was exactly the same thing? No. They're similar things.

Look, you're not going to convince me that minor tweaks are hugely innovative. So I'm going to drop it, because it's not worth it. We disagree.

And here you are admitting that the fucking Brooklyn deejays *did* combine hip-hop breaks with house at the same time it was happening in London, thus sorta proving my point that the London HCC is not the only place where these innovations were happening.

(And wow, speeding something up digitally. Quite a feat.)

nomadthethird

And of course I can't write out remarc tune while simultaneously typing this at my laptop, I'm going to have to go sit down with a pencil and do that elsewhere, duhhhhh :p

nomadthethird

Right then. Moving on.

I swear to god, every thread I post in, Padraig comes into it and does a line by line "breakdown" of it that's so pointlessly tedious that it's bordering on the "leave Dissensus forever" because this place is so boring anymore. That plus the endless "evolution is Nazis" debate in all the other threads that's utterly retarded.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I swear to god, every thread I post in, Padraig comes into it and does a line by line "breakdown" of it that's so pointlessly tedious that it's bordering on the "leave Dissensus forever" because this place is so boring anymore.

it's true. I spend most of my waking hours plotting ever more diabolical ways in which to bore you into leaving Dissensus.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
& I'm behind the "Evolution is Nazis" bit as well. I secretly emailed Zhao & encouraged him to kickstart it for laffs. hey, what can I say?