World's Greatest Female Singers II

nochexxx

harco pronting
i'm going to out on a limb and nominate this bird. voice so good that shaun rider once had to punch her in face. mentally unhinged as all great singers should be.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This woman's got an incredible voice, if you like the opera stylee, which I don't as a rule but this is amazing:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's a 'bit' dark (well, it is SPK)...no idea whether it's sampled or was recorded specifically for that track, though.

mixed_biscuits

Aguilera's voice is tremendous - so bloody powerful, for one.

It's a fact that many of the best singers move, or are moved, towards the MOR - they can carry a tune without distracting faff in the background.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Aguilera's voice is tremendous - so bloody powerful, for one.

It's a fact that many of the best singers move, or are moved, towards the MOR - they can carry a tune without distracting faff in the background.

Agree with this...

But I would have to rank pre-crack Whitney Houston (for range, control, and power) higher than Aguilera, whose timbre and vocal gymnastics are copies of Mariah Carey's original.

crackerjack

Agree with this...

But I would have to rank pre-crack Whitney Houston (for range, control, and power) higher than Aguilera, whose timbre and vocal gymnastics are copies of Mariah Carey's original.

Yep, true. Carey could well be Satan for the damage she's wrought on a generation 9or two) of R&B/pop singers.

Amy Winehouse? Christina Aguilera? Norah Jones? Good grief, man!

"World's Greatest Female Singer...?"

I know this site is called Dissensus but couldn't you please add a little substance to your disagreement?

Aguilera's timbre is really nothing like Carey's.

nomadthethird

I know this site is called Dissensus but couldn't you please add a little substance to your disagreement?

Aguilera's timbre is really nothing like Carey's.

Ummm...do you know what timbre means? Aguilera tries to sound like Carey, whether she always succeeds is another matter.

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
It's a 'bit' dark (well, it is SPK)...no idea whether it's sampled or was recorded specifically for that track, though.
Have been really digging the album that's from lately. The faux gamelan thing that follows it is beautiful.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Have been really digging the album that's from lately. The faux gamelan thing that follows it is beautiful.

Cool, I only know that one song from YouTube - it's probably high time I bought some music, been very slack about that the last year or two.

nomadthethird

If you can watch this and still believe that Christina Aguilera's timbre sounds nothing like Mariah Carey's, then you don't know what timbre means.

It also proves that there's more power in Whitney Houston's voice as an added bonus.

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
Cool, I only know that one song from YouTube - it's probably high time I bought some music, been very slack about that the last year or two.
It's mostly doomy ambient Fairlight workouts '86 vintage a la early Coil, but strikes a chord for some reason, especially this time of year. Don't know any other SPK stuff really, the gamelan track is a gem though, it's probably all sampled.

This is the album I refer to: http://www.discogs.com/SPK-Zamia-Lehmanni-Songs-Of-Byzantine-Flowers/release/76551

The singer is called Jan Thornton and according to Discogs she contributes 'Droid Effects' to this CD. Clearly a versatile lady. Yeah boombox, how many of your top 50 can do 'Droid Effects' eh? ;)

Last edited:
If you can watch this and still believe that Christina Aguilera's timbre sounds nothing like Mariah Carey's, then you don't know what timbre means.

You need to listen to more music if you can't hear the distinction.

It also proves that there's more power in Whitney Houston's voice as an added bonus.

What's that got to do with anything. She's awful now.

nomadthethird

You need to listen to more music if you can't hear the distinction.

What's that got to do with anything. She's awful now.

I played classical piano competitively from the time I was 6-years-old, I taught Suzuki violin lessons, I have absolute pitch, and I'm sorry, but your list is terrible and you don't know what you're talking about, clearly.

Of course there is a "distinction" between the voices, but the timbre is similar.

I played classical piano competitively from the time I was 6-years-old, I taught Suzuki violin lessons, I have absolute pitch, and I'm sorry, but your list is terrible and you don't know what you're talking about, clearly.

I have been compiling lists since the age of three and distinguishing timbres since not long after.

Do you conduct all your arguments as an arrogant battle for validation? If I can hear a clear difference I can hear a clear difference. Why do you have to throw your 'credentials' in my face?

Do you have an alternative list? That is why I started this thread, to broaden my horizons, not be told my opinion is worthless.

nochexxx

harco pronting
how about an irwin chusid's 'greatest female singers' list?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The singer is called Jan Thornton and according to Discogs she contributes 'Droid Effects' to this CD. Clearly a versatile lady. Yeah boombox, how many of your top 50 can do 'Droid Effects' eh?

Yeah, I listened to her. She's good, but a lot of the live performances turned out not to be. Are there are any other quality dance music singers?