playing smaller venues

shaolinsoul

For Shaolin, muser and anyone else that really thinks that 94 (!) was the cut-off for good dnb - please, please have a listen to some of the wonders and delights in the Junglist Auteurs thread.

Not saying 1996 or 1997 were bad years for jungle, just that 93-94 was the flashpoint of a new groundbreaking scene in terms of brimming energy and ideas and as such imo "the pinnacle" in its near 17 year history.

96 and 97 was also good, photek/metalheadz/danny breaks doing nice jazzy stuff..blah blah blah...;)

1998-2009 - please lets not even go there...

shaolinsoul

a couple of my favorite lesser-known (I think?) jungle tekno tunes...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

alright this one maybe isn't lesser-known but I couldn't resist...

& neither is this one...but come on...the bit where the "Injected With a Poison" (a total classic in it's own right) sample comes in never fails to put a big dumb grin on my face...

Mate, Jungle tekno is where its at!

all excellent selections and have you heard the Digital 93 mix on lower depths?

n e way that last tune is RUNNING! Definate dance floor burner.

Reminds me of years caning Cool Hand Flex - Hold Back into Kev Bird - Kano!

zhao

there are no accidents
that stuff is pretty cool but i seriously doubt it would work on any bar crowd unless it looks like this:
ravers.bmp

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
that's definitley a US thing.

sure electronic dance music is more popular in europe compared to the US (part of the reason why i moved here), but honestly, how many bar crowds would love even an hour of this stuff?

seems to me that "hot" or "warm" sounds work a lot better in an intimate setting rather than "cold". and something like a reversal is true of big clubs.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Not saying 1996 or 1997 were bad years for jungle, just that 93-94 was the flashpoint of a new groundbreaking scene in terms of brimming energy and ideas and as such imo "the pinnacle" in its near 17 year history.

no arguments there man, so long as you add '95 to the peak years...I mean '95 ambient jungle was still going strong, hardstep crept in (I mean Dillinja alone saves '95 - "The Angels Fell", "Jah Know Ya Big", "Muthaf**cka...), Photek was still making killer jungle tunes, all those fantastic cheap-o cashin ragga jungle comps...

96 and 97 was also good, photek/metalheadz/danny breaks doing nice jazzy stuff..blah blah blah...;)

nah don't forget the flipside to that main - the somber darkness of techstep which was soooo good for a fleeting moment (think of Torque) before it all went horribly, horribly wrong...not really dancefloor material admittedly...

1998-2009 - please lets not even go there...

no arguments there either...with the caveat that there are a smattering of great post-'97 tunes both from the traditional D scene & also from the newer junglists. admittedly in both cases it's tiny flecks of gold buried under mountains of utter crap & none it breaks any new ground or really offers up any new ideas (exception - that fabulous run Soundmurderer & SK-1 had...)...

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

sure electronic dance music is more popular in europe compared to the US (part of the reason why i moved here), but honestly, how many bar crowds would love even an hour of this stuff?

seems to me that "hot" or "warm" sounds work a lot better in an intimate setting rather than "cold". and something like a reversal is true of big clubs.

yeah but I don't think darkside jungle tekno records would work on neon candy ravers at all man - where's the PLUR vibes man? all that darkside stuff is the exact opposite...maybe that Noise Factory record I guess...aren't those kinds of kids all well into like psytrance or something these days?

&, while mentioned I'm not a DJ nor much of a clubgoer, but what bar would love even an hour of pretty much any electronic music? aside from Chemical Brothers/Diplo-esque rocktronica fusion nonsense? anyway I think Shaolin was talking about mixing jungle tekno with loads of other stuff, proper Detroit techno & so on...

shaolinsoul

that stuff is pretty cool but i seriously doubt it would work on any bar crowd unless it looks like this:
ravers.bmp

You gotta do better than that bredrin!

And whos to say what type of a crowd would rock to jungle techno?

Shit, if skinny jean wearing/skateboarder type hipsters can rock to rusko and flylotus, then why not to Surgeon, Basement records, Rob hood or E-dancer stuff.

Imo, the music is so much more endearing and fullfilling sonically wise then a night of a full onslaught of N-type style dubstep or silly glitch hop, you could mix it with anything mellow, hard rough and the styles are vastly different. Dubstep has failed for me sooo many times at a night at just the rubbish vibe it creates.

Jungle techno is a great flavor to keep the bassbins rockin as you could mix it with faster detroit things and Alex cortex stuff or MDR/ Hardwax cuts and its different to make the girls think .."rah that tunes badder than bad, i feel wet allover".

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
FWIW, I think the ardcore/breakbeat rave tunes it would be best to play at a bar night are ones that would be really obvious to fans like us. So things like, uhhh.... DJs Take Control, On A Ragga Tip, Sweet Harmony, House Is A Feeling, The Green Man, Spliffhead, Hold It Down, The DJ Anthem, Some Justice, maybe Keep The Fire Burning or something like Inflitrate 202. Things with an overall balance towards the slightly slower stuff, and with plenty of vocal hooks, piano riffs, big breakdowns etc.

padraig (u.s.)

FWIW, I think the ardcore/breakbeat rave tunes it would be best to play at a bar night are ones that would be really obvious to fans like us. So things like, uhhh.... DJs Take Control, On A Ragga Tip, Sweet Harmony, House Is A Feeling, The Green Man, Spliffhead, Hold It Down, The DJ Anthem, Some Justice, maybe Keep The Fire Burning or something like Inflitrate 202. Things with an overall balance towards the slightly slower stuff, and with plenty of vocal hooks, piano riffs, big breakdowns etc.

no way man! I demand only the most obscure of dodgy white label one-offs!!! how else will I ever validate my feverishly nerdish trainspotterism???

really tho I would add to your list things like; "Hurt You So", Yolk - "Music For the People", pretty much anything by Sub Love, Sonz of Da Loop, any of the cheekier Grant Nelson stuff ("The Wobbler" & so on), all the stuff I mentioned earlier (Manix, Orca, etc.)...maybe well cheesy stuff like "Sub Dub" or that early Trace tune that samples "Orinoco Flow" (!)...oh sweet jesus MESSIAH - if a DJ played "Thunderdome" I'd probably try to hug him but I'd settle for "Temple of Dreams"...

edit; Menace Makes Three - "Do You Feel What I'm Feelin'", AGCG's sublime take on Everybody Loves the Sunshine, Foul Play - "Dubbing You", Origination - "Break Down", Spectral - "Touch Somebody", Open Skies - "Mellow Flow"...

edit edit: oh dear I didn't mean to hijack this into a piano anthems thread, sorry Zhao...

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

nice one man...you know, on the other end of 2nd wave Chicago house I've been listening to a ton of Dance Mania stuff recently; Armani, Funk, Deeon & so on...I bet a lot of that would fit into a set with jungle tekno pretty well? real ruff, raw, functional vibe & so on...

slye

Allied Heights
Right on Prescription is great! What about Chez Damier? You've got Closer of course, but also those gems he put out on KMS would go down a treat.

I could see Octave One slipping in really well too. There's a compulsive funkiness to their music that's perfect for a crammed, smaller venue.

shaolinsoul

nice one man...you know, on the other end of 2nd wave Chicago house I've been listening to a ton of Dance Mania stuff recently; Armani, Funk, Deeon & so on...I bet a lot of that would fit into a set with jungle tekno pretty well? real ruff, raw, functional vibe & so on...

Mate,

we need to talk..;)

D

droid

All work as Ive played them all in small venues. Bombscare is another 'ardcore bar classic, and the beauty of all that 130bpm '91/'92 stuff is that you can mix it with all kinds of other dance music, from techno, through house, dubstep, electronica...

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
All work as Ive played them all in small venues. Bombscare is another 'ardcore bar classic, and the beauty of all that 130bpm '91/'92 stuff is that you can mix it with all kinds of other dance music, from techno, through house, dubstep, electronica...

I'm glad to hear this.