The press release hall of shame thread

luka

Mode One Recordings. A genre-hopping, paradigm-shifting, bar-raising, sonically diverse digital record label.

"We love music and we don't mind who knows it! We believe in acoustic diversity and set out to release music across the spectrum, with a well considered disregard for convention, breaking free from the shackles of any one particular genre. We encourage creativity and sonic exploration, allowing musicians, producers and the like to offer up glimpses into their musical minds. With each new release, we intend to showcase some of the most talented artists we've discovered and share them with the world..."

mms

sometimes
Mode One Recordings. A genre-hopping, paradigm-shifting, bar-raising, sonically diverse digital record label.

"We love music and we don't mind who knows it! We believe in acoustic diversity and set out to release music across the spectrum, with a well considered disregard for convention, breaking free from the shackles of any one particular genre. We encourage creativity and sonic exploration, allowing musicians, producers and the like to offer up glimpses into their musical minds. With each new release, we intend to showcase some of the most talented artists we've discovered and share them with the world..."

very long way to say they release music commerically.

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
Cleaning the oven is normally like catching your uncle in bed with your mum, but in this case your uncle has some fantastic cleaning products that will make everything easier.

Watching me play tennis is usually like watching a lion savage a gazelle, but in this case the gazelle is Andre Agassi!

is there a name for this particular type of mixed metaphor?

kinda like <a href ="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowclone"> Snowclone</a>?

(itself a pretty good band name...)

michael

Bring out the vacuum
is there a name for this particular type of mixed metaphor?

kinda like <a href ="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowclone"> Snowclone</a>?

(itself a pretty good band name...)

Nah, I don't think so. At first read I thought the original was garden pathing but it's just an honest cock-up, isn't it? There's no way of rearranging the syntax so it would somehow make sense.

While googling for other examples is usually like taking candy from a baby, in this case the candy is a pretty nebulous bunch of search terms.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
While creating a metaphor usually involves using an unrelated but analagous system of imagery to stand in for the idea you want to express, in this case the imagery is a surgeon you really respect as a musician.

john eden

male pale and stale
**** is out and about "Hypeing" up clubs in New York and abroad! Be sure catch to him, if you can! Also known as the “Hypeologist” **** is crafting an undeniable reputation with the ladies throughout the east coast as well as vocally seducing the Drum n Bass lovers across the US...

Let's not overlook this one. New tagline approaches....

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yeah there's a lot of stuff in this thread that's just amazing - "vocally seducing" in the context of "crafting an undeniable reputation with the ladies throughout the east coast" just sounds like a weird euphemism for oral sex. But, you know, not oral sex, oral making love, baby.

And I love that it's the ladies throughout the east coast - like, sure, if taken literally, a big area, but if taken metaphorically as some kind of hype building wooing of fans thing, strangely specific...?

tyranny

Oh god, I think I just did a little bit of sick into my mouth.

Jr.jpg

This one is a bit grim:

Finish copy Labelowner GEIN featuring dnb superstar Technical Itch and one of the no1 mc’s of the world MC Jakes!! This tune has been in the making for several years and Gein finally found the time to update it to todays standards. This is one of tunes that you hear and wonder: when is this released? Will it ever be released? Yes! Today is the day that you can fially grab your copy.. With the infectious vocals of Jakes this tune starts of with a monsterous bassline that will make you growl yourself. Big kicks and snares with the distorted breaks falling in to make it a complete tear-out tune. Massive!! And you thought that’s it? Wait till you flipped it over the B-side. DANGER! Gein & The Chose means trouble with a capitol T! Bassline bizniz on this one. The sub is so deep it will penetrate straight through your walls and will leave your neighbours scarred for life… Be warned

Not sure if I want a monsterous bassline that makes me growl myself

:eek:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
have you seen the adverts on telly for the new a-team film? the slogan actually is, no joke - "NOW ACTION BEGINS WITH 'A'!"

'Shit taglines' could form a thread in its own right. The one for the CGI Beowulf that came out a couple of years back (yes, the one with Angelina Jolie as a 'sexy monster' :slanted:) was tagged 'FACE YOUR DEMONS'. No, I couldn't imagine anything more fitting than a cliche from late-20th-century pop psychology to sum up the oldest work of English literature, either...

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Saw an advert for some vampire film a while ago. The tagline (if I remember right) was 'Meet Justin. He's fifteen, going on...IMMORTAL'