Bass Fiction

Viral Radio

Last Friday, Kode9 & the Spaceape played their Bass Fiction live set at Beat Dimensions at the Bimhuis in Amsterdam. I am not sure how previous performances went, but I have not seen them take place at a formal concert venue like this (but I could have overseen that). The way they visibly enjoyed playing, giving a 20 minute encore and actually playing one song of their new album twice (I believe it is called 'Other Man') with such intensity and concentration, makes me wonder if this could have been a tipping point for Bass Fiction. It is perfectly suitable to be played in a seated venue, in a non-club environment. The duration, complexity and repetition in the set resembled a classical symphony. With a little bit more bass it might have a perfect concert, the celebration of what they have been doing with the Hyperdub continuum. It was sheer magic, and they made this one of the most memorable concerts at the Bimhuis in times. I hope this video conveys some of the energy:

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

And here is the other concert of the night, by Dimlite:

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Last edited: