Music from passing carz

luka

Ilford, Goodmayes

big up the essex crew!
i used to work at romford dog track and cycled to and from work through goodmayes and ilford. (to stratford, or sometimes bethnal)
used to love that ride at 11 at night. stop at the goodmayes tesco maybe. seven kings.
all that good stuff.

alex

Do not read this.
big up the essex crew!
i used to work at romford dog track and cycled to and from work through goodmayes and ilford. (to stratford, or sometimes bethnal)
used to love that ride at 11 at night. stop at the goodmayes tesco maybe. seven kings.
all that good stuff.

yo, big ups luka, thats all on my doorstep mate, sort of my endz. well I am little ilford, loxford mostly.

luka

i grew up in stratford so i know the area well. feel a lot of affection for it.
used to sometimes go to the island and 5th avenue! if you're old enough to know those names.

alex

Do not read this.
ah touche, i have many friends in stratford..

unfortunately the only numbered avenues i know are in manor park (4th,3rd,2nd etc)..big ups!!

BareBones

wheezy
oh man i have had some totally disastrous nights in shit essex clubs, years ago. Mostly chelmsford.

the other day i heard geeneus 'yellowtail' coming out of a car around where i work in nw8, which surprised me, cos it's mostly just wealthy americans with bentleys and stuff around here

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
oh man i have had some totally disastrous nights in shit essex clubs, years ago. Mostly chelmsford.

the other day i heard geeneus 'yellowtail' coming out of a car around where i work in nw8, which surprised me, cos it's mostly just wealthy americans with bentleys and stuff around here

My postcode might be IG1, but this aint no essex ting...

gabriel

The Heatwave
funnily enough i've been semi-keeping a log of these recently with half a thought on blogging about it, and about how i only ever bonafide big tunes, never album tracks or fillers, it's like people must bump just one or two tunes on repeat rather than running through a mix that contains non-hits alongside hits...

my brother suggested plotting them on a google map and getting other people to contribute, but i'm not sure i'll get round to it so here's some recent ones, all Stoke Newington, Finsbury Park and Holloway (N16 - N4 - N7)

• mr vegas & overmars - raging bull (green lanes / mountgrove road)
  • mavado - on the rock (holloway road / tollington park)
  • tarrus riley - she's royal (holloway road / tollington park)
  • princess nyah & ill blu - frontline (stoke newington high street / church street)
  • kyla & paleface - do you mind (church street / albion road)

luka

ilford is different from chelmsford for sure, it was a lot more 'essexy' ten years ago though, but you still had loads of people from stratford, gate, etc going up there in the weekends.

alex

Do not read this.
gabriel, that sounds like a good suggestion...

oh and frontline gets smashed to peices by people in cars round my way..

alex

Do not read this.
ilford is different from chelmsford for sure, it was a lot more 'essexy' ten years ago though, but you still had loads of people from stratford, gate, etc going up there in the weekends.

oh its 'essaxy' dont you worry about that, how can something that border's romford/barking not be..;)

luka

even those areas have changed a lot though.
which is shorthand for saying, have become less white, i suppose.

Pestario

tell your friends
I work in Tottenham (N17) and our offices are on the corner of two busy roads and we often get our windows rattled by bass. Been hearing a lot of funky as well as the usual reggae and dub but just this morning someone had Remarc - RIP on full which brought a smile to my face. I immediately wanted to tell someone but no one would know what I was talking about. Lo and behold there's a thread on dissensus :)

massrock

I think the people dem want to rave, probably an economic thing. At least that's what I deduce from my extensive sampling of several people's choices of loud in-car listening. This summer...

Of course I hear the Funky around here as well.

massrock

There's music from cars and then there's the music of cars.

Wheels passing by in the rain late at night.

Or the sub bass from an engine idling outside your window.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
one of my favorite sounds is when a car speeds past with some tune blaring, blowing by you so fast you can actually hear the song "warp" in space...

Jonesy

Wild Horses
I never hear music from cars in this country (Portugal). Bloody weirdos.

Though a few twats played music from their mobiles (ghettblaster-style) on Lisbon's metro when i lived there.

Benny Bunter

Mainly bhangra round these parts. And the other day when I was waiting for the bus into work there was a very smartly uniformed and clean-cut asian primary school kid blasting out 'A milli' on his I-pod. I was like, nice one son! :)

Client Eastwood

People I hear regular nowadays

White van bhangra man - blasting out bhangra, his van is just a massive sub
small cars with rap blasting out

This morning older fella at the traffic lights, windows down playing lovers rock.

Very little grime, even with bus phone crew should I catch it. All about the funky it seems.

Ive known Irish Mike for 20 yrs plus last time I saw him he was still playing UB40 in his car after all these years.