Canada recommendations

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I know this is a bit of a silly question given the size of the place, but we will be visiting Canada in july/august.

Our base will be London

We will have access to a car for 10 days or so

We have been to Toronto in the past.

What would you recommend we do?

Algonquin park has been highly praised

Thank you!

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
If you plan on giving Toronto a skip, I'd recommend drives to Ottawa (approx. 6-7 hours from London) or Montreal (approx. 8-9 hours from London - but only a couple from Ottawa!). The Niagara Escarpment is lovely too; I know a few people who would recommend a tour of the vineyards. Then there is of course Niagara Falls - a spectacle in a pretty cheesy, tourist trap of a town.

Algonquin Park is a good idea. Cottage country is great in the summer for beaches. The main ones seem to be Wasaga Beach and Sauble Beach, but you can find a lot of really nice and less populated beaches pretty much anywhere along Lake Huron or Georgian Bay.

It may be tempting to visit Windsor because it is right there, but I'd advise against it. It's the fucking armpit of Ontario.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
what sick boy said. montreal is a treat if you haven't been. but find a hotel room now if you plan to go because they book up quickly with all of the festivals. ottawa is lovely in the summer too - maybe now more than august because it gets quite sticky. ottawa's interesting in a traditional tourist sense (nice buildings, parks, museums official history, etc.) whereas in montreal it's more fun to avoid to the regular tourist spots and explore the neighbourhoods - on the plateau especially. but if you make it to ottawa let me know. i'd be happy to be a tour guide if you were passing through :)

on the other hand, if you want nature, camping and whatnot then you'd be better off heading northwest from london towards the great lakes - georgian bay/muskoka - or up to algonquin park.

do not visit windsor.

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Thank you, all.

Will start firming up our plans.

Cheers for the offer Paul- will let you know if we are heading your way.