What is your favourite 7"?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I love seven inches (I must have almost two thousand) but it's so hard to choose a favourite. I really like old ones with just the company sleeve and I really like it when people put a thing on youtube with a picture of the record just turning round - I think that seven inches have some kind of mystique to them that I don't generally get with albums or any other format really although I can't coherently argue for that and it's kind of strange given that they are obviously very limited in terms of the music they contain. This is one I rate a lot

And here's another

Couldn't really say that either is really my favourite but they are ones I absolutely love right now and that I keep returning to so maybe they are.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I really like it when people put a thing on youtube with a picture of the record just turning round

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I SO want one of those garrards

IdleRich

IdleRich
Beautiful bit of kit. That reminds me as well - I forgot to say how much I like scratchy old sevens. If it's the right kind of music and the right song then a bit of bacon frying in the background adds that bit of warmth that I love.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
On the non-reggae front, it could be any number of hardcore 7"s- especially those with many songs, handmade covers, multiple inserts etc.

I like this cover:

Mohinder+-+Oh+Nation.jpg

http://www.pukekos.org/2009/04/mohinder.html
yes! i used to run a very small distro peddling gravity records, ebullition, and some smaller outfits----the mohinder records were particularly difficult to part with because each was different; they just screened their name on cut-out magazine pages from the 1980s, say, E.T. on the center label, or like a photo of eddie van halen. i always return to gravity records' 90s output. it was a special time.

nochexxx

harco pronting
my favourite 7"s are almost always produced by the goodiepal. spesh these 6
midi-hack sevens lifted from advertising campaigns he supposedly worked on.

gpal_carlsberg_b.jpg

gpal_chupachups_b.jpg

gpal_nokia_b.jpg

hitachi_hi.jpg

gpal_statoil.jpg

gpal_bando.jpg

and this teardop 7 is really amazing.
Vaches.jpg

petergunn

plywood violin
probably

Susan- the Mauroks

crazy funky garage psych that i have never tired of and have many fond memories of playing...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Yes yes, Clikatat Ikatowi, Unwound, Antioch Arrow, Angel Hair etc. ... these records are all still great.

How about this 7"?
mahpiualuta9np.jpg

(I don't own it- got the Ebullition LP, but Moss Icon 7"s were like the holy grail at one point)

UK stuff from that period still sounds good too. especially this:

422.jpg

The Kitchener 7" is also brilliant.

[edit- found it!]

KITCHENER%2B-%2BThe%2BPrice%2BOf%2BProgression.jpg

d/l it via here: http://rockin-noiz.blogspot.com/2008/02/kitchener-price-of-progression-7.html

And I've just remembered, Subjugation records put out a 7" flexi by Tribute:

l_f971cb32e7c66bce12f5084e134424df.jpg

Some nice label scans here:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=247910971

Last edited:

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
How about this 7"?
mahpiualuta9np.jpg

(I don't own it- got the Ebullition LP, but Moss Icon 7"s were like the holy grail at one point)

UK stuff from that period still sounds good too. especially this:

422.jpg

The Kitchener 7" is also brilliant.

[edit- found it!]

KITCHENER%2B-%2BThe%2BPrice%2BOf%2BProgression.jpg

d/l it via here: http://rockin-noiz.blogspot.com/2008/02/kitchener-price-of-progression-7.html

And I've just remembered, Subjugation records put out a 7" flexi by Tribute:

Some nice label scans here:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=247910971
man, moss icon!

wrt UK 7"'s from that time---the great Bob Tilton comes to mind, their two 7"'s ...of pen knife and pocket watch and wake me when spring comes were both excellently packaged----and they sounded good to my ear!

the thing about ebullition was all the extra mini-zines the records were packed with----all those angsty/existential scott mcclard rants and laments----i pored over them as a teenager!

matt b

Indexing all opinion
wrt UK 7"'s from that time---the great Bob Tilton comes to mind, their two 7"'s ...of pen knife and pocket watch and wake me when spring comes were both excellently packaged----and they sounded good to my ear!

Without doubt. Their first LP was recorded in the house me and a couple of mates rented in Nottingham, fact fans ;)

Excellent live band.

There were loads of great bands from the same period, I'd recommend Baby Harp Seal, Hard to Swallow, Polaris to name but 3.

This 7" is great (front cover shows both bands eating togther, back cover shows table post meal):

54bnrk.jpg

the thing about ebullition was all the extra mini-zines the records were packed with----all those angsty/existential scott mcclard rants and laments----i pored over them as a teenager!

Was No Answers the pre-Heart Attack zine? It was very angsty. I have very fond memories of the whole distro-scene- getting packages with all sorts of stuff included etc.

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
the great Bob Tilton comes to mind, their two 7"'s ...of pen knife and pocket watch and wake me when spring comes were both excellently packaged----and they sounded good to my ear!

bob tilton! there's a name i haven't heard for a while. always felt what they did and loved the the singer for performing minus shoes and socks.