When did dubstep lose the plot?

when did dubstep lose the plot?

• Total voters

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I just realized those poll results are almost identical to what you'd see if you posted a "when did grime lose the plot" thread, except replace the group of people who said 2007 with a group of people who say 2005.

Not so nice when it comes around, eh dubsteppers?

staypuft

bwah bwah
I was catching up on books like 'Altered State', 'Last Night A DJ Saved My Life' and 'Love Saves The Day' around the same time I was becoming less invested in dubstep. they helped me realize that a certain process of a genre becoming popular has been in motion for quite some time. while this thread is wonderfully insightful about the development of dubstep (thank you all), I'm generally less concerned with the predictable, depressing specifics than the inspiring surprises, whose sparks are the entire reason I immerse myself in music.

{vent}
which is what I don't understand about the surface tension guy. he seems incredibly motivated, but SO jaded... it's like he was presented with Star Wars superpowers and joined up with the darkside. looking into the past can be very constructive, and I'm sad that he misses the point so much.
{/vent}

Last edited:

carmen

 
obviously it lost the plot in 2k1 when Horsepower productions turned funky uKG into clinically minimal soulles versio nof itself with cloying dancehall samples

Blackdown

nexKeysound
obviously it lost the plot in 2k1 when Horsepower productions turned funky uKG into clinically minimal soulles versio nof itself with cloying dancehall samples

This is troll bait but imma bite it anyway: BOLLOCKS!

Just gotta call bullshit when you see it, sorry.

MrFence

Oh the humanity.
Fair enough if you don't like Horsepower, but that is a bollocks statement to be honest.

At the time they started releasing UKG/2Step (especially the darker, less commercial stuff) had pretty much already devolved into godawful Grage crew nonsense or juvenile breakbeat garage and lost pretty much all the soul and swing it had had in the previous 4 or 5 years. Folks like Horsepower, El-B and J Da Flex actually gave it some soul again.

That being said however, what the HELL is going on with all the original producers these days!? They all seem to be making second rate halfstep drivel, and mixing it incredibly badly when they play out.

alex

Do not read this.
yea what the fuck is that about? It's like they came well early, like 8 hours too early. Now they are rushing around trying to pack cause they are so late.

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
Now that I can agree with, bar the neigbourhood rmx's, they sound tight. Is there any release's on the way? (bar the n/hood rmx's)

staypuft

bwah bwah

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
That being said however, what the HELL is going on with all the original producers these days!? They all seem to be making second rate halfstep drivel, and mixing it incredibly badly when they play out.
The jungle analogies really do write themselves, don't they...

Has dubstep had its Metalheadz era yet?

I guess the point of divergence is that dubstep isn't in a ghetto tempo-wise, so it's a lot easier for it to recombine and partially assimilate and partially be assimilated by other styles... it's less likely to get into the "accept all the excesses or jump ship entirely" thing that DnB did...

sapphic_beats

Captain Crankypants
When I first heard Chainsaw Calligraphy on Youtube I actually thought it was a joke, a parody, and found it really funny. Turns out it isn't though, which is truly amazing.

I wish to hell it WAS A joke. That has to be the most annoying, awful thing my ears have dealt with in a long time. Ouch.