Music you are prejudiced against

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Sometimes prejudices serve a purpose in freeing you from the obligation to engage with another load of shit when you've already got too much shit on your plate already with the music you've allowed yourself to like.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm prejudiced against music that uses guitars as a general rule, with many exceptions. But any song that starts with an electric guitar I'm instantly sceptical about.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I still can't believe I said that and didn't get flamed to oblivion. I must have been a swaggering intimidating figure on here back in 2009. Laughing at craner for reading poncy books.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i've listened to a decent amount of the record collector jazz canon. kind of blue, a love supreme, out to lunch, black saint and the sinner lady, etc.

none of those would make my top 10, with the exception of out to lunch.

this is the one you want, where cecil just turns comping into the piano into atonal cord clusters.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Im gonna say it, its inevitable, all threads tend to autechre- the NLS sessions give me the same feeling as jazz. use the same language. the electric atonal late 60's 70s jazz atleast

yeah, autechre and jungle are both at that intersection between bebops transition to free(er) jazz forms. jungle is more bud powell (you can still dance to his music, but its got an absolutist breaking point) and Charlie Parker, whereas AE is more Ornette.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
alice coltrane was an epiphany. cosmic jazz is probably my favourite music of all. thing is, jazz (including it's blues and gospel roots) is the lifeblood of so much of 20th century music, and to take it out of the equation, more or less removes the dance element from dance music & all the harmonies and disharmonies which lay foundation of at least half of what people love here on d. if jazz hadn't happened we'd be probably be listening to german oompa shit or something.

Well yeah, trance and ebm essentially.

Although I do get annoyed at the way a lot of london people approach jazz, i do like my rare groove/jazz funk n all but that was the beginning of the end, really. you want lesser known good fusion, listen to joe farrell's first three lps, not fucking lonnie liston smith.

Or Hermeto Pascoal who could go borderline industrial. there's definitely an old age culture associated with jazz and it essentially ghettoised it. It's a shame because as a turkish music fan I want to hear more broken rhythmic forms but the idea of jazz electronic music people have is more about rhodes cords rather than jazz as a headspace, if u see what i mean.

mvuent

Void Dweller
someone should break down their favorite jazz sax solo for me and yyaldrin and explain whats happening, what you hear in it that you enjoy. without recasting it in light of a different genre if possible. and saying more than just "he blows with so much emotion man" or something to that effect. a listening map.

mvuent

Void Dweller
if no one feels like doing that i'll unfortunately have no choice but to ignore everything else said and conclude that you're all pretending to like jazz

linebaugh

someone should break down their favorite jazz sax solo for me and yyaldrin and explain whats happening, what you hear in it that you enjoy. without recasting it in light of a different genre if possible. and saying more than just "he blows with so much emotion man" or something to that effect. a listening map.
I dont particularly like sax solos as 'solos' for the most part. And with the jazz that I enjoy and what your primarily getting recommended- post bop stuff- what is a 'solo' is obscured because all the instruments are effectively soloing at the same time. I like them as pointillistic atmospheric elements, like tweeting birds.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Psytrance, so daft I don’t even know if I’ve spelled it correctly. Gatecrasher cunts, fluro zigzag paint on faces.

War crimes.
Aww come on though, there's that one really great psytrance tune - can't remember what it's called but you must know it, it goes diggerdy-diggerdy-diggerdy-diggerdy-DIGGERDY-DIGGERDY-DIGGERDY-DIGGERDY-diggerdy-diggerdy-diggerdy-diggerdy-DIGGERDY-DIGGERDY-DIGGERDY-DIGGERDY, you know the one I mean, right?

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen

Why focus on the solo?

but if you wants solos after a philosophical insight into conducting, Face the Music