Record storage options

benw

just to say i have the ikea expedit and it is literally perfect, no complaints about it not being strong enough and mine are packed full to the brim. its like it was designed for 12"s!

connect_icut

just to say i have the ikea expedit and it is literally perfect, no complaints about it not being strong enough and mine are packed full to the brim. its like it was designed for 12"s!

Lots of people have reassured me about this but then I see things like...

enhanced-buzz-8061-1370906753-8.jpg

enhanced-buzz-8252-1370906641-19.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Agreed. I know hundreds of people with expedits and never heard of that happening.
Also, weirdly, it looks as though most of the records have survived the catastrophe.
If you're not on the ground floor you may have to worry about the strength of the celling of course if you've got too many records.

connect_icut

benw

Anti-Expedit rant here:

http://thevinylanachronist.blogspot.ca/2012/10/a-blog-i-wrote-some-time-ago-which-you.html

Sounds like a bit of a cranky-pants though, doesn't he?

For what it's worth, I'm currently using discontinued Lack shelves, which seem much sturdier but don't use the space as efficiently.

The Sefour units seem cool but they're expensive in Canada and I'm not sure about the whole metal-bars-instead-of-shelves-thing.

http://www.sefour.com/VINYL STORAGE TOWER RS300.htm

aye id be a bit nervous about the uneven distribution of weight - cant imagine long term that would do records any good.

connect_icut

aye id be a bit nervous about the uneven distribution of weight - cant imagine long term that would do records any good.

I think it would be okay for the records themselves but might dent the covers a bit, maybe. I also think there might be potential for putting shelves on those bars as they're designed to accommodate record boxes as well as just records.

connect_icut

It's interesting that each of those collapses was apparently caused by turning a big Expedit on its side, given how many people have suggested to me that turning smaller (one-column) Expedits on their sides and stacking them would create a more durable solution. Hmmm...

craner

Beast of Burden
I have three Bach records which all sound (to me) our of tune when I play them.

All my other records sound (to me) fine.

It is possible that my record player is out of tune and I just can't tell, except when I listen to Bach? Or have my ears gone wonky?

The record player is 15 years old, and one of those manual ones where you have to take the turn table off and move the elastic band to change speed. I have never changed the stylus. The noise that comes out of it is weighty and clear. I just don't understand why Bach sounds out of tune.