hardcore classics

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
^yes, this mix is absolutely great. the only gabber I've ever been into is Deathchant/Nasenbluten type stuff and Marc Acardipane, but this is highly entertaining. it reminds me a lot of the happy h/c of that era before it abandoned the breakbeat, and I love that stuff (the happy jungle thread for anyone that remembers). I was surprised at the drum choppage that popped up a few times, never realized commercial gabber had any of that. or any drum syncopation at all.

still don't see how anyone can dance to it, even w/aid of drugs, for more than a couple minutes, without a jungle-type halftime bassline running underneath. but hey.

Benny Bunter

Thing is in northern england this stuff was big with really young kids who were too young to go to raves and bosh pills. We were about 13 when we listened to this, all my mates did. As soon as you hear a song with a cunt or fuck in the title when you're that age its the coolest thing in the world.

When i was 13 it had exactly the same effect on me as hearing A bitch is a bitch by NWA for the first time from one of my older sisters tapes (now she likes Mumford and sons). Or the Outhere bros one that says "Sit your ass on my face i love the way your puusy tastes" which I have only recently realised is a dutty chicago ghetto tek classic.

I had better taste in music when i was 13 when i did at 21 i think looking back

Thanks for the mix!

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

This is what i liked between the ages of 10-13. back then i couldn't tell the difference between them. i think its a pretty good list for a cumbrian!

Rozalla - everybodys free
DJs take control
3am eternal - klf
everybody in the place/Charly - the prodigy
I'm raving i'm raving - SUAD
Sweet Harmony
On a ragga tip - SL2
Roobarb and Custard, Toytown etc
Altern 8
James Brown is Dead
Adamski - killer
Bizarre inc - playing with knives
basically everything on this tape http://www.discogs.com/Various-Essential-Hardcore/release/85995 (Loooool Simply red are on there! I must have liked that aswell)

cutups

^yes, this mix is absolutely great. the only gabber I've ever been into is Deathchant/Nasenbluten type stuff and Marc Acardipane, but this is highly entertaining. it reminds me a lot of the happy h/c of that era before it abandoned the breakbeat, and I love that stuff (the happy jungle thread for anyone that remembers). I was surprised at the drum choppage that popped up a few times, never realized commercial gabber had any of that. or any drum syncopation at all.

still don't see how anyone can dance to it, even w/aid of drugs, for more than a couple minutes, without a jungle-type halftime bassline running underneath. but hey.

it's definitely a slight misconception that gabber has NO breakbeats in it. on some of the most seminal gabber labels, nearly all of the tunes incorporate some breakbeats. but its very rarely the driving percussion.

i definitely was pretty *over* any sort of gabber like this for a long time, but after going through an appriciation of all sort of other hard electronics and other music, its definitely amusing and fun to come back to these tunes. i can appreciate their fun / fuck all attitude alot more now.

continuum

smugpolice
DJ Clarkee has today uploaded the first mixes in two sets for free download on his website clarkee.com. One set is Old Skool and the other is Hard Tekno. Have just finished listening to the Old Skool one. Absolutely brilliant.

continuum

smugpolice
Also worth a read is the history section of Clarkee's website. Great insight into the early Hardcore rave scene and how they ended up putting on the legendary Dreamscape parties.

+ Clarkee has just uploaded volume 2 of the Old Skool studio mixes. Will have a listen later.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
here's a mix of oldschool gabber i put together recently. mostly mid-90s dutch stuff
with en emphasis on anthems and generally absurd / dumb tunes.

thundertroll-image.gif

DOWNLOAD:
http://cutupsmethod.com/audio/mixes/thundertroll/cutups-thundertroll-320.mp3

Tracklist
The Stunned Guys - Hymn
Boombastic - One Love
DJ Gizmo - 2 The Resque
Davie Forbes - Apocalypse Now
DJ E-Rock & Tactic - Bring the Noise
The Scotchman - Happy Vibes
Sonicdriver - In Your Arms Tonight
Body Lotion - Always Hardcore
Wedlock - I'm the Fuck You Man
Annihilator - Realm of Darkness
Paul Elstak - Pump The Party
Cybernators - Funky Tales
DJ Pagan - Mister Mister Scarface
Paul Elstak - You're a Hardcore Hooligan
Predator - Mind of A Lunatic
Juggernaut - Don't Fuck With a Ruffneck
The Judges feat. DJ Promo - Blastin' the System
Chosen Few - Name of the DJ
3 Steps Ahead - Paint It Black
Bodylotion - Watte Dan
Da Beatblower - Fuck Your S Off
Tellurian - Squash the Floor
Evil Maniax - Psychopath
DJ Isaac - I Wanna Be a Gabber Baby
Gabber Piet - Love U Hardcore (Hardcore Mix)
Lords of the Underworld - Hardcore Dance
Rob Gee & Ralphie Dee - Mellow Message
Wasting Program - Jazz Sacrilege
DJ Gizmo - The Dope Man (DJ Buzz Fuzz remix)
Public Domain - So Get Up (Jeremy mix)
DJ Delerium - THe Sound of the Beast (Rob Gee remix)
Lords of the Underworld - Loose Control
Bodylotion - Ik Wil Hakke
Syndicate - Appetite For Destruction

LOL, only seeing this now. Never realised this thing even crossed the Northsea. Kinda grew up with gabber, but was waaaaaay too young to go to parties. Compared to now I think the 90's were great in Holland. You had these absurd gabber beats and at the same time bubbling was blowing up, so totally different but so unique. Now there's nothing. Literally.

:cool: :cool:

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Was on the hunt for the mythical 'Arkines Lost' the other day and aside from Peelenium, every second hit is a poster from here searching for it.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Was MASSIVE in Scotland and Northern England, all my mates at school were into it when I was about 11/12 years old. That mix is great fun.

I remember reading an interview with Sully in which he stated that he used to listen to gabber as well, was greatly surprised specially with him making such subtle swinging rhythms.

continuum

smugpolice
No disrespect but ultimately isn't gabba / hard techno actually really boring and stupid? I don't mind the odd track thrown in in the right place in a set to really wind it up but a whole set or night of it is mind numbingly monotonous. Dunno, perhaps that is the appeal and no doubt if you are on the right drugs surely the experience is vastly improved. But even on pills and speed we used to steer clear of the Technodrome at places like Helter Skelter (except for the odd walk through to get to another part of the rave).

rivet90210

Found one of the records by Codine on SUAD today. I am wondering if anyone knows much about these guys. The suad website gives:

"These were two 19 year olds from Essex.
The Release Dream Sequence/Prologue
SUAD18.
This is the first track that Smiley and PJ did not produce. "

Can't find a thing online about them after the suad records. Anyone have anything else?

cutups

~1992 Rave & Rap mix

This is my seventh mix for the Stackin Paper series that we put on a periodic basis as a dual-mix audio CD. The CD has a mega-mix each from Cutups & Keeb$, resident djs at the LAZERCRUNK monthly. This time we went with a "Back to the Future" theme - Todd put together his set of current new and unreleased future bass, and with this mix I went with the concept of "what if" i was recoding this mix in 1992 - its a blend of early 90s pop, uk hardcore rave and gangsta rap.

More info
http://stackinpaper.com

Tracklisting
Public Enemy - Welcome To the Terrordome
DJ Phantasy - Hippodrome
P.M. Dawn - Set Adrift Of Memory Bliss
Psychotropic - Hypnosis (SL2 remix)
Eric B. & Rakim - Don't Sweat The Technique
LSDJ-E - Let The Rhythm Take You
LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out
Sonz Of A Loop Da Loop Era - Far Out
Kon Kan - I Beg Your Pardon (12" Remix)
Suburban Base - Sound of the Phuture
Marky Mark & The Funky Bunch - Good Vibrations
DJ Royal and DJ XL - Turntable Overload
Young Black Teenagers - Tap The Bottle
Urban Hype - A Trip to Trumpton
N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton
Kaotic Chemistry - Illegal Subs (Krome & Time remix)
MC Hammer - U Can't Touch This
Terrorize - Feel The Rhythm
Bizarre Inc - I'm Gonna Get You
Geto Boyz - Anotha Nigga In the Morgue
Krome & Time - Manic Stampede
Queen Latifah - Ladies First
Acen - Trip II The Moon