House 09!

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
not really anyone talking about this but i'm feeling some of the deeper afro/tech inspired house sounds this year...seems like its become kind of trendy recently. not mad at that if it continues to spawn solid tracks.

e.g.
mikki afflick - mating call (abicah soul afro tek dub)
mzee - the ancestral calling (dasoul & fabry diglio black mix)
christian hornbostel - zambesi (master tribe mix)
dj floy - malimba (watch the stars original mix)
windimoto - don't let me leave alone (abicahsoul dub)
ezel - thunderbolts (intrumental)

Check out mzee's

Umoja_-_The_Flute_Song_(Umoja_feat_Kampi_Moto_(Culoe_de_Song_Remix))

http://www.traxsource.com/index.php?act=show&fc=tpage&cr=titles&cv=39749

if you like those, I think it's my favourite tune this year.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
yup forgot that one, partial to the mzee bomba mix myself.
manoo remix-mzee vocal edit of mahuwalele also a standout from earlier this year.

Hi Buddha Hat,

Can I ask where you're finding out about these tunes? I only found the Mzee one after listening to a kwaito podcast on kwaito.com that highlighted it on one show, is there somewhere that's playing this more spaced out mzanzi stuff? Or are you tracking it down yourself? I wasn't aware that it's become trendy or whatever, but I kinda don't go out so I wouldn't know really.

stephenk

finally got my hands on the andres record that started this thread and it's lovely as expected

everyone into the kdj derivative sound should check the kai alce mix on roof.fm, wonderful smooth vocal house and kzrc - creative sadness (omar-s revisualization) which i need in my life in single-form asap

buddha hat

low post
Hi Buddha Hat,

Can I ask where you're finding out about these tunes? I only found the Mzee one after listening to a kwaito podcast on kwaito.com that highlighted it on one show, is there somewhere that's playing this more spaced out mzanzi stuff? Or are you tracking it down yourself? I wasn't aware that it's become trendy or whatever, but I kinda don't go out so I wouldn't know really.
labels like Abicah Soul, Offering, Nulu, Qalomota, Afrazoo, Ocha, Xibaba, Conya, Poji, Stalwart- all have recently released records in varying degrees similar to that mzee one...

traxsource has helped me stumble on quite a few records and sounds that i would have never guessed i'd enjoy.
really a lot out there beyond what resident advisor or wherever is advocating.

vimothy

yurp
Presumably everyone's heard the Sandwell Disctrict RA podcast by now. Does anyone know the name of the amazing floaty dubstepper about 40 minutes in?

continuum

smugpolice
nathan-fake-we-fear-silence-mix-october-2009

Track list...
ceephax acid crew - credick
avus - darkness visible
boards of canada - korona
bochum welt - CH riot on proxima centauri
7oi - byrjunartónninn
piroth - dance closer (n.fake remix)
operator - 7 years over a mirror
starting teeth - venom (n.fake remix)
drexciya - drexciyen star chamber
orbital - planet of the shapes
gold panda - back home
gescom - a1
kode9 - black sun
rustie - zigzag
luke abbott - B,B,B,B,B,B,B,B,B,B,B,B,B,B,B,B
clark - farewell mining town

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
yeah^ that big snake tune is so good. i missed the chance to see dozzy not so long ago, starting to regret that now.

Krasner

I saw Dozzy at Corsica a while back and really wasn't fussed at all. I just found the kind of techno he was playing really dry and lifeless. Probably just me though - everyone else I was there with loved it.

Omar-S came on afterwards though and totally smashed it. Opening with French Kiss is always going to get me dancing from the off.

shaolinsoul

I saw Dozzy at Corsica a while back and really wasn't fussed at all. I just found the kind of techno he was playing really dry and lifeless. Probably just me though - everyone else I was there with loved it.

Omar-S came on afterwards though and totally smashed it. Opening with French Kiss is always going to get me dancing from the off.

I agree, donato's stuff on its own is a bit meh...drony minimal submerges styles

But its the lerosa factor here that really works.

Theres a great mix of some "dead slow" house music on his myspace.

4linehaiku

Repetitive

I read another review of that night which said Donato was totally amazing and Omar-S was rather dull in comparison. Different strokes etc I suppose. I also read some brief bio of him (Dozzy) which claimed his sets were "characterised by a lack of cymbals" which I thought was great, though in many ways I am easily amused.

In other news, I really like the recent-ish Mike Huckaby Bunker Podcast. Don't know how much of it is '09 though.