Dear PitchforkMedia, You are really freaking me out (Re. Ruff Sqwad)

Progout

rollie fingers
it just goes to show... what is worthy of a zero in Vice's mind is, in the case of Prekop, "unabashed musicianship." there is no "style" or "movement" that they can cash in on. remember how vice jocked brooklyn electroclash when that was hot for a sec? there's no money to be made for vice (they are so far removed from their punk diy indie roots they are prolly giving urb magazine a run for their money, at least urb is explicit about selling out...) in promoting the kind of unmarketable sound of any of the Tortoise School of musicians from chicago or otherwise. vice now aligns themselves with bands and labels like Bloc Party and Dim Mak... for whom the cogs of the hype machine are already well in motion. there is money to be made (from ad revenues) for shit like this. Vice will align themselves with Grime insofar as it is a lucrative venture. I'd be hard-pressed to believe that pitchfork operates the same way. i guess that's a rant. sorry.

gumdrops

ryan17 said:
Alright so they review 'Run the Road' no big deal that was a decent release and was pressed by vice mag. and yeah they love dizzee a lot but who doesn't?

but honestly them reviewing 'guns and roses vol. 1' by ruff sqwad that is a little unlike them. well quite a bit unlike them actually.

this is central to the continuous debate on here about GRIME becoming a legit mainstream, money making genre. if pitchfork keeps up reviewing important grime releases i don't doubt it will catch on eventually (in the U.S. that is)

am i the only one really weirded out by this?

come on now, pitchfork review roots manuva too - that doesnt mean UKHH is going to catch on in a big way in the US!

now if rolling stone reviewed guns n roses, that would be a different matter...

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Clubberlang said:
I'd be surprised if Run The Road sells many more copies than Wiley's album did in this country (they had ONE, count 'em, ONE new copy at Amoeba yesterday.)

maybe worse I guess. the best shop here (Austin TX) didn't even plan to order a single copy of RtR even though they did order some copies of the Wiley.

markp

<i>just so we dont have any repeats of the run the road debacle</i>

hugs and kisses right back atcha jess.

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
You best be favourable about the multi pack Rinse FM mixtape compilation which will be sold through independant stockists when it appears ;)

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Lovely dedication at the end too, innit.

Talking of Ruff Squad, anyone catch them on Aftershock's UKG 1xtra mix show over the weekend? Awesome!

cooper

good article jess-
your descriptions are lovely!

minor correction:
doogz/goodz came up through boyz in the hood (he's titch's brother) but i'm pretty sure he was never in roll deep; beefed with dizzee and maybe wiley too? not sure about wiley. there's also dog-z/dogzilla who was in PAYG and is still somewhat affiliated with roll deep, we had a thread on him a couple weeks ago.

amusing footnote:
"bound 4 the reload" actually wasn't o&n's first dodgy cutup - there was an even worse tune that sampled terminator, the movie not the tune, going around first.

ambrose

im really into this: "By the turn of the millennium, school kids and sullen-eyed hoodrats were chasing the original champagne-sipping Sunday steppers back to the safety of funky house"

nicely put...

dubplatestyle

yeah, i figured there'd be some mistakes. hit me up here, and i'll see about getting them changed.

p.s. thanx 4 the nice words

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Was Dog-Z definitely in PAUG? My history here is patchy, but in Never Ending Story he says something like "I was going to be in PAUG- but things got f___ed up, gee".

Great piece, definitely, not least just for it's the zealous enthusiasm. It screams out "you need to check this music in your life", which is just how things should be.

Last edited:

ryan17

he says " I was gonna be in PAUG, G told me I was PAUG, it all fucked up there was arguements see"

so yeah, a bit confusing.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
ambrose said:
nicely put...

I have to say Jess, you write very, very well. Best record reviews I've read in quite some time, as they're usefull in that 'this is what it is, and what it sounds like' way, but also grounded in context and fun to read.

Looking forward to checking the grime primer!

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
3underscore said:
Wouldn't that be the first layer of paint, emulsion, plaster or whatever, rather than a primer? ;)

Hey, blame Jess not me! He called it a primer.

Anyway, who's gonna do a mix of all these tracks and then all the tracks in Silverdollar's Wire grime primer, so we can compare them?

Whadaya say?