Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

zhao

there are no accidents
Really? I don't love it or anthing but I'd appreciate hearing what you think about it. It's been my introduction for people between alternative music and dance music so I respect it for being able to make a link without too much compromise. To me it sounds like a musical dialogue.

by "it" you mean the Cold Vein? you use it to introduce... "alternative" music to dance people or vice versa? it sounds like a... "musical dialogue"? between... nerds and... other nerds?

i love it on paper: industrial left field electronifried post-hop with political content and nex level lyricism in a theme album firmly standing its ground against mainstream blah blah blah.

but it gives me a migraine the size of Coney Island.

zhao

there are no accidents
i realize that was a pretty boring answer as i've myself heard those exact same sentiments over and over concerning this type of rap. but hey the truth is boring sometimes.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
by "it" you mean the Cold Vein? you use it to introduce... "alternative" music to dance people or vice versa? it sounds like a... "musical dialogue"? between... nerds and... other nerds?

i love it on paper: industrial left field electronifried post-hop with political content and nex level lyricism in a theme album firmly standing its ground against mainstream blah blah blah.

yeah, when goths or metalheads or whatever say 'i don't like hiphop' eventually, in the right setting, you can put 'cold vein' on and they go 'wow, what's this?'. I know quite a few people it turned on, thus I keep a copy just for such occasions.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I tend to think Aesop Rock sounds like a robot and Slug should have formed an emo band so I've never heard this - although I was into 'Funcrusher Plus'. DL'd it and listening to it now

One question - on the first tune is the MC who comes in at 3 minutes putting on a stupid voice for just that one tune?

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah, when goths or metalheads or whatever say 'i don't like hiphop' eventually, in the right setting, you can put 'cold vein' on and they go 'wow, what's this?'. I know quite a few people it turned on, thus I keep a copy just for such occasions.

i see what you mean. that's great if it brings people together... i can chill with that

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape

whatever, but really, c'mon now. El-P, Vordul & Vast Aire were/are all b-boys from NYC. they rap about, amongst other things, growing up in New York, women, battle raps pseudo-theology, etc. - all things that are pretty recognizably hip hop. you're doing them a disservice by tossing around dodgy terms like "industrial", "left-field" and so on. also, what gave you the idea that it's a "theme" album?

if you don't like it that's one thing. but dismissing all who like it as "nerds" is patently ridiculous.

ChineseArithmetic

It is what it is
There always seems to be this thing that El-P isn't hip-hop because his stuff has electronic elements in it. It's like electro never happened. Also a lot more of his stuff is based on samples than it appears, if that makes any difference to its hip-hopness. I always thought 'Iron Galaxy' sounded like played keyboard parts, but then later found out it was sampled from the Moroder 'Cat People' soundtrack.

zhao

there are no accidents
whatever, but really, c'mon now. El-P, Vordul & Vast Aire were/are all b-boys from NYC. they rap about, amongst other things, growing up in New York, women, battle raps pseudo-theology, etc. - all things that are pretty recognizably hip hop. you're doing them a disservice by tossing around dodgy terms like "industrial", "left-field" and so on. also, what gave you the idea that it's a "theme" album?

if you don't like it that's one thing. but dismissing all who like it as "nerds" is patently ridiculous.

sorry if i sound condescending or dismissive... but don't you think their demographic is a little bit different from say Wu's audience? and if you knew me you would know "nerd" is almost a term of endearment for me...

before i got into hiphop i was really interested in Co. Flow, testament to what Sloane was saying... even met El P once... but after i got into hiphop i just simply can NOT listen to almost any of it anymore... least of all Canibal Ox