outraygeous

Its also about the wider reach of said track, like I know younsta/3dx was making music like pulse x for a long while.

It was that tune that caught fire and then anything he did was excellent. Or was it?

Also, I think that because of the distribution of music these days alot of the people in the position to break tracks are bloggers more than DJs. I may be wrong on that but its how I feel at the moment looking in on this scene.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Also, I think that because of the distribution of music these days alot of the people in the position to break tracks are bloggers more than DJs. I may be wrong on that but its how I feel at the moment looking in on this scene.

that seems like a super dated viewpoint to me. those kind of detached bloggers who exist solely to document don't really have much influence that i can see anymore - the producers and DJs involved in pretty much every UK-based dance music scene all have their own feeds and channels for interacting with the internet themselves. one of the functions of fact/xlr8r/ra is to amalgamate the slew of content generated every day i guess, and it does work both ways to an extent, but largely i think those places still follow in the footsteps of record labels, producers and DJs

UKF is an interesting exception, one of the only ones I can think of. that channel has broken pretty much every huge dubstep record in the past couple of years, but that makes sense to me as the audience is global, and very young. people listen to tunes because they're on UKF rather than vice versa

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
How much is that because you tend to talk to the people who read about it read about it on blogs rather than listening to it in clubs, though?

outraygeous

To be fair, I am very detached from the scene. So I guess my only knowledge comes from twitter and here.

Its a weird one for me because of perhaps my age and the 2 main raving musical influences on my life were jungle and garage. I can only speak of these because I know a little bit about them but if a new tune broke, it was played by the top DJ and you had to get it on a tape pack.

The same happens now I guess and the tune ends up on youtube and then Im guessing bloggers post that and it escalates that way? Think I have lost my point! Maybe if I was more into the music and scene I would be going and hearing the new tunes being broken. But then I have issues with crowds and the general public spotting big tunes.

My tastes in music have become way too narrow

Local Authority

bitch city
MTHRFNKR, is symptomatic of the decline of journalism and the rise of tumblr that we've seen recently. Wherein original content and writing seems to go to the wayside and all we are left is are links to links to links of links.

Worse is they strive to be original but all they are doing is rehashing trends ad infinitum.

I says its about time musicians had a larger platform to communicate to fans with, rather then channelling through publications. I wouldn't advise some artists to get rid of their PR agents though...

Roshman

MTHRFNKR, is symptomatic of the decline of journalism and the rise of tumblr that we've seen recently. Wherein original content and writing seems to go to the wayside and all we are left is are links to links to links of links.

Worse is they strive to be original but all they are doing is rehashing trends ad infinitum
Couldn't agree with you more.

guppyslim

they strive to be original but all they are doing is rehashing trends ad infinitum.

I reckon it's run by people who've developed their idea of what's cool from reading blogs, not by people who actually have their own opinions on anything.

I bet they don't dance in clubs, just stand around trying to look cool in whatever clothes they've seen on tumblr

outraygeous

Evian Christ has been signed to Triangle

Come some one explain to me how this happened, not because the music is bad or anything but just the method because I am a little confused. Just put the steps out there so I can try copy them or something.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
^ The Randomer EP that came out on Numbers was great fun I thought - I wouldn't make the case for it being groundbreaking or anything, it's just a very enjoyable kind of dirty, mildly twisted sounding dance music. Real Talk, the title track, is big.

Edit: those Hemlock clips not really clicking with me as much though. They're in a similar vein to the Numbers release but yeah... maybe not quite percussive enough, I dunno.

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

MTHRFNKER are "a collective of well-known music bloggers and coolhunters with the vision to be an essential guide to intelligent contemporary music."

coolhunters!!!

Local Authority

bitch city
MTHRFNKER are "a collective of well-known music bloggers and coolhunters with the vision to be an essential guide to intelligent contemporary music."

coolhunters!!!

Coolhunter sounds like something that someone would get bullied for saying in high school.

What gets me is the "essential guide to intelligent contemporary music". I was expecting each song they posted to be a thesis concerning something relevant that I've never heard about but all I get is boring serenades to mildly attractive pictures of girls on youtube and tumblr.