gumdrops

i think the secrecy thing is cool as long as it doesnt become shtick. like, devine recordings seemed to just do it naturally (out of paranoia really) and guys like loefah or coki were also just not really into doing loads of press or being 'seen', they genuinely wanted to stay in the background, which is diff from trying to contrive a burial like level of mystique when really youre just dying to be more famous.

Phaedo

The Dubstep scene back a few years ago seemed quite a honest scene to me. I don't remember any secrecy or PR stunts, well at least not ones that didnt seem like genuinely trying to avoid the spot light.
You could definitely argue that part DMZ's success was down to the mysterious / vinyl only / limited press vibe. I guess thats what a lot of people are trying to re-create now, but definitely not as honestly.

I think one notable thing atm is the amount of terrible remixes by supposedly good artists, people are definitely remixing for more than music's sake. Although thats no new thing I know.

gumdrops

yeah dubstep was very much not about celebrity, almost to the point of seeming a bit boring and too ordinary at times, but it def wasnt about courting celeb status or going overground etc. it was about being modest, humble, low key, in the shadows, and so on.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
One way of looking at the secret identity thing is that it's a bit of a cart-before-the-horse situation - that back in the day (usually 1st / 2nd wave detroit techno, hardcore / early jungle or classic UKG depending on who you asked) there were loads of amazing tunes coming out from anonymous producers and it was cool and something that doesn't happen so much now, but that people now try to consciously recreate that by 'being anonymous', whereas at the time it was a combination of there not being the channels of information to find out all about a given producer, and people just not really caring.

But then there's also the more conceptual thing that's always been an undercurrent in slightly artsy electronic music, and I think Gumdrops is right that it can be part of the fun if the whole thing is done well (ie if the music's up to scratch), or quite annoying if it looks like a gimmick.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I'm with marcus if "we're anti hype" actually means "my manager is, behind the scenes, agressively whoring us out to style press while claiming otherwise".

gumdrops

but thats not a new thing is it - its just classic music marketing. like how the arctic monkeys and lilly allen were all hyped as myspace-supported bands who got a following from there purely but i think they (allen at least) had contracts before/while they were uploading songs to myspace? i suppose the real flaw is just when its blatantly bollocks and the PR ppl havent done a good enough job in hiding the machinery behind the PR assault (or a few emailed press releases or whatever) and the musicians involved just sound completely insincere. but i like a bit of secrecy. i dont need to know much about ill blu or funkstepz. i just like their music. if they had something interesting to say well that would be cool but they probably dont. zomby meanwhile seems able to be enigmatic and stealthy while also doing quite revealing interviews, albeit ones that seem to just create even more enigma cos you have no idea what is true and what isnt (he must be an afx fan innit).

daddek

re zomby is or not p-ds.. "being" postdubstep is almost as old as dubstep.. in that post is as much response to the thing, as it is a broader timeline point.
so imo zombys always been that and so's hyperdub mostly (quarta samiyam etc). if we are to legitimize the term by asking whither or not. tbh this shit makes my mouth feel dirty.

joe muggs was using the term to incorporate ras g, i guess he means it for all things bass heavy due to dubstep's possible influence.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
On the whole anonymity/mask wearing thing. What about people with anxiety issues etc?

Personally, I'd feel more comfortable playing out if I had a mask on. Although, what with the stigma surrounding it, I'd probably find it became another source of discomfort.

More often than not, it does seem like 'part of the act' but I imagine there are people who do it for other reasons.

alex

Do not read this.
for reason's like, you have pissed off so many promoters/people that you are shook of one of them banging you, should they know what you look like?

FairiesWearBoots

ha, he does seem to have burnt a few bridges along the way,

i like it tho' his abrasiveness is part of the appeal

yh I want to hear it too, actually one of those times where I'll spend money on a CD,
(I gladly spend money on vinyl but dont seem to do the same for digital)

juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
re zomby is or not p-ds.. "being" postdubstep is almost as old as dubstep.. in that post is as much response to the thing, as it is a broader timeline point.
so imo zombys always been that and so's hyperdub mostly (quarta samiyam etc). if we are to legitimize the term by asking whither or not. tbh this shit makes my mouth feel dirty.

joe muggs was using the term to incorporate ras g, i guess he means it for all things bass heavy due to dubstep's possible influence.

post-dubstep started seconds after dubstep started

:):):)

juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
zomby meanwhile seems able to be enigmatic and stealthy while also doing quite revealing interviews, albeit ones that seem to just create even more enigma cos you have no idea what is true and what isnt (he must be an afx fan innit).

ZOMBY and APHEX are the same person!!!!!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

eltsac

this is one of those things people say on message boards that as a producer leaves me totally baffled. how does a given element in a track feel "bolted on" rather than "organic", "self concious" rather than "instinctive". i mean, in musical terms, what does that actually mean?

*** imagines himself in front of a sampler going "right, today i'm going to use this vocal sample in an organic and non-self concious way"**

who isnt paying attention to the actual tunes?

It can quite easily sound bolted on or self consious... Thats not to say that it was created in a certain way, but sometimes to a listener, you can feel if things have almost been forced.. I also think its more of a comment to do with the fact that producers tend to hop on trends quite quickly.. They have heard a few tracks with a diva vocal and think I could do that and shove one on top of a beat.. As opposed to constructing a tune devoid of that influence.. I don't think that is always possible, but it just shows how on trend a lot of producers are..

Drum and bass used to get slated for being boring and samey, mid range wall of sound bass and consistent rhythms with not much variety. (i didn't believe that because if you looked deeper you found some very very good music) However the whole 130/post dub/indie step/future garage whatever the fuck its called, follows a lot of those tropes. Rhythmically its varied, but certain elements repeat, diva vocals being one of them, then on to slowed grooves, and then the whole juke rip-offs...

I mean Ramadanman's Rod Lee edit and a bunch of his juke style stuff isn't disimilar from Cybotron's Clear... I don't know why that gets to me, but it does.

eltsac

I think it's quite specifically a Dissensus quirk that people would admit to liking prepubescent boys before they'd admit to liking Squarepusher...

Although it's worth noting that even in that interview he admits to hating the name 'IDM'.

Squarepusher is good man, and so is a lot of IDM.. DNTEL, rephlex stuff, some aphex, a bit of tycho, album leaf... but then again I'm half American.