atoga

"And I feel like this whole [contemporary] bass music scene is essentially IDM resurfacing in a more dance club context. "

at least he's honest about it. his straight-up IDM was more on the danceable & fun side of things anyway.

also he actually looks & dresses like that, don't take it for a joke (cringeworthy as it is, obviously). lots of North American people who are really into future garage look that way, shocker.

SecondLine

to be clear, I really like machinedrum's new stuff too. Just thought it was funny to see a dissensian argument staring out at me from the page, and being used as a pro rather than a con.

SecondLine

yeah I think you're right.

Also I guess whereas in this country the perceived dichotomy is between 'authentic, grassroots' music and 'phony late-adopters', in the states everybody's a late adopter when it comes to this stuff.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
well american rave artists dont see idm as this shame genre, in the way that nuumy old london ravers do.
I think it's quite specifically a Dissensus quirk that people would admit to liking prepubescent boys before they'd admit to liking Squarepusher...

Although it's worth noting that even in that interview he admits to hating the name 'IDM'.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Someone showed me this photo earlier.

machinedrumpull1.jpg

Genuinely thought it was some internet joke photo or something.

Ahahaha. Could def be a meme.

daddek

I think it's quite specifically a Dissensus quirk that people would admit to liking prepubescent boys before they'd admit to liking Squarepusher...
LOL . ppl like zomby and falty DL love squarepusher, autechre, rephlex, early warp, i dont know wtf dissensus' problem is. well i do & dont need it explained, just think its a stupid entrapment by narrative.
Its turning a principled nose up to a lot of good , interesting music that's deeply connected to music we love. Nuumists *shrug*

gumdrops

lot of self hating idm-ers.

speaking of which heard the terror danjah admiral bailey thing on rinse this morning and that was TOTALLY breaks-style IDM. who would have thunk it back in 2004.

daddek

yeh. no.
idm, genre-idm, isnt my music at all. Just think the SR derived description of the entire genre is quite objectionable, and oversubscribed. The preference toward other musics i share overall.

some soul-jazz types* i know turn make an audible shitnosey sneer if metal or any noise music is talked about in their vicinity. its like a moral judgement, more than a preference. that aspect of music debate, stated genre inferiority, is ugly, and flimsy imo

edit* by this i mean the related soul/jazz genres, not the label obv

Last edited:

daddek

idk tho, would be interesting if personality aspects were proven to link with music preference.
like if narcissism was linked to genre x, empathy with genre y, smug wankitude with genre z. Actually this is probably how we characterture genres already.
idk how to spell characterture.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I kind of miss the days when we had Mark K-Punk around to explain why anyone who liked music that he personally wasn't into was trapped in a de-libidinised morass of post capitalist self-infatuation. I kept waiting for the day when he'd come to the same conclusion about something that he actually liked, but he never did...

But yeah, the Dissensus thing about IDM isn't just "not really into it" is it? It's a kind of peer-group sneering that's turned it into a folk demon well beyond any actual discussion of the music. It's a lot like a bunch of indie kids talking about chart pop.

juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
I kind of miss the days when we had Mark K-Punk around to explain why anyone who liked music that he personally wasn't into was trapped in a de-libidinised morass of post capitalist self-infatuation. I kept waiting for the day when he'd come to the same conclusion about something that he actually liked, but he never did...

But yeah, the Dissensus thing about IDM isn't just "not really into it" is it? It's a kind of peer-group sneering that's turned it into a folk demon well beyond any actual discussion of the music. It's a lot like a bunch of indie kids talking about chart pop.

K Punk's JR's bad music writing hero. so so many memories

luka

one of my kiwi mates is forevr snding me youtubes of this music. its really big there apparently which makes a lot of sense. it fitst into the (north island) aesthetic perfectly. clean sounding, laid back. not particualrly muscular.
this is the last thing he sent me which is very duncan powell.
i thought it was perfectly alright.