IdleRich

IdleRich
"cosign. bring him back on a contract that ensures he doesn't talk about anything other than football."
I dunno, I thought that all the insane stuff was fairly entertaining.
"I disagree, as Germany would still clearly have won the game, due to being superior in every department. I don't think sheer momentum would have made up for the glaring deficiencies in the England team - they were simply outplayed by a better team, and that would have shown up later in the game whether that goal had stood or not."
Well, we'll never know but it just seems stupid to argue that a wrongly disallowed goal that would have meant a team who had played disastrously for thirty minutes and gone two down were back level and in the game is not a turning point.
People are over-estimating the strength of the German side as well, clinical going forward but their defence was poor - in fact the lack of defending is what made the game entertaining. I think if I hadn't been crying I would have rather enjoyed it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Not stupid at all - as you've highlighted, they were playing disastrously, and continued to do so through most of the second half. To argue that Germany scored goals three and four because England were searching for an equaliser ignores that the defence were just as porous throughout the game.

Germany would've beaten England in the second half had that goal gone in or not. i find the 'what if' mentality wearing - would a 6-1 or 8-1 defeat stop people talking about it as if England were only just beaten?

IdleRich

IdleRich
The score doesn't always tell the whole story. I'm not saying that England were good, just that the goal that they had disallowed was surely a factor. It's not exactly beyond the realms of possibility to suggest that the way they played in the second half was to some extent influenced by the score-line.

franz

of course it's a factor, but all you can do is play through it (and there was plenty of time to do so). losers have this sneaking tendency to bemoan the what ifs rather than going out and snatching the victory. sometimes winning means having more asked of you than of your opponent... it happens often enough. regardless of whether or not, moving forward, FIFA institutes an army of 25 robots to lord over the game and make sure that every single call is unequivocally correct, the fact is that going into that game, the English and German football players are both operating in a football world where sometimes wrong calls get made--one takes this into account and nonetheless tries to win accordingly. There was no metaphysical shock here.

meanwhile Chile, whilst holding their own, look totally unconvincing in the attacking third... and it's no surprise that they had two goals scored on them in the time it took me to write this post.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
Brazil are looking great at the moment. Once they started running down the flanks they really came to life. Michel Bastos seems to get better with every game. Nice to see Kaka improving. He's been a bit off so far despite playing a part in several goals.

Brazil's defense are probably the best in the tournament. They're very good on the attack too. Lucio, Maicon and Bastos keep making those big, charging runs down the centre and the flanks. Maicon not so much in this game but Lucio was always legging it through the center and the same for Bastos on the left.

Great game. Gutted Chile are out but they weren't very good tonight. They didn't seem to want to score. The amount of times they had the ball in the box and just passed it about or took too long with it was ridiculous.

Valdivia took way too much time to do anything, especially in the box.

It's refreshing to see the linesmen and referee make the right decisions. Looks like Englishmen are better officials than players.

grizzleb

So so gutted for Chile, but they can hold their heads high. They had as much work rate and enthusiasm and belief in the 90th minute as they did after 5. Amazing side to root for at any rate; it's a pity Brazil are just so strong and technically amazing. Had Chile came up against any other team I think they could have got a result. It was a great game I thought, and Holland v Brazil will be interesting too. Both sides well matched, but I think Brazil probably shade it for me.

I agree that at times they had some chances (Chile) that they could have taken but Brazil were too hot.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The score doesn't always tell the whole story. I'm not saying that England were good, just that the goal that they had disallowed was surely a factor. It's not exactly beyond the realms of possibility to suggest that the way they played in the second half was to some extent influenced by the score-line.

i guess what i'm saying is this: if England were mentally weak enough to be influenced by the scoreline in such a way that they didn't mount a credible challenge in the second half, and virtually stopped playing for the last 20 mins (Shizuoka 2002, anyone?), then it is stretching credulity to suggest that they would have been strong enough to win at 2-2 against a side playing/who are much better than they are. If their mental strength is as brittle as that, what hope do they have? Contrast that with Mexico, victims of a similar injustice, who really gave it a go, albeit too little too late. But at least they didn't spend the last 25/30 minutes looking pathetic.

I fucking hate Brazil too. Putting faith in the Netherlands to reprise 1974 now.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"of course it's a factor, but all you can do is play through it"
Well yeah, or not as it turned out. England are/were the weaker side, to have something like that happen further stacks the odds against them. Maybe if it had been Germany who had that happen to them they would have overcome the psychological blow and if so all credit to them but it's not supposed to be a required part of the game.

"regardless of whether or not, moving forward, FIFA institutes an army of 25 robots to lord over the game and make sure that every single call is unequivocally correct, the fact is that going into that game, the English and German football players are both operating in a football world where sometimes wrong calls get made--one takes this into account and nonetheless tries to win accordingly."
Yeah, true enough. I really do wish they would change that by introducing video replays for goal line calls though, then offside decisions, and, if that works, possibly for other controversial things as well.

"i guess what i'm saying is this: if England were mentally weak enough to be influenced by the scoreline in such a way that they didn't mount a credible challenge in the second half.... then it is stretching credulity to suggest that they would have been strong enough to win at 2-2 against a side playing/who are much better than they are"
Well, I'd say they were mounting something of a challenge until the third goal went in.
I disagree with the second bit as well, if they are mentally that affected by a disallowed goal then who is to say what could have happened if the goal hadn't been disallowed? If they had gone in at 2-2 and then won the match then that brittleness may never have been discovered or investigated.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I like this Orwellian statement

"Maingot added that Fifa will be cracking down on World Cup match action being shown on stadium giant screens after replays of Tevez's disputed goal against Mexico sparked arguments on the pitch.
Maingot said the replaying of such incidents "should not happen" and will be more tightly controlled at future matches."
Don't bother getting the decisions right, just try and prevent people knowing that they're wrong. In fact why not ban televison replays of controversial incidents altogether?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8766423.stm

grizzleb

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Couldn't be any more spot on, or succinct, for me.

petergunn

plywood violin
let it go... england looked terrible... germany simply outplayed them...

argentina is looking nice... maradona make just run naked thru buenos aires...

scottdisco

rip this joint please
maradona make just run naked thru buenos aires...

i've always been an admirer (natch) of the great man, but this WC, it's the suits, the hair, the earring even, but i've definitely got a bit of a man crush going on w him.

also his press conference where he started banging on about his '31 year old blonde' lady friend was first rate

scottdisco

rip this joint please
fascinated by the first of the games today (well, both, but Par-Jpn less high profile overall globally i suppose, even factoring in the fact Jpn is the most populous of the four).

clearly two good teams, i feel Paraguay have a bit more, but Jpn do seem to be getting better and better, difficult to see what happened in the last Paraguay group match personally, i didn't see it, but given the battling Kiwis also took points off the other pair in F, no real indications there.
you could argue Paraguay topping their group less impressive in hindsight given the Italian failure, but if they're going to really fire, they have to do it today, so why not. mind you, if Jpn replicate their Denmark form then, well...