mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
Surely video technology as it is currently employed - after the fact - can already be used to pin-point dodgy decisions and help disembarrass the game of corruption. The ref's decisions can already be assessed and, if deemed to be sub-par, the official can be relieved of his duties.

As Scott says, this doesn't seem to have happened so it's fair to suggest that something more might help/be needed. It also doesn't stop the corruption at the point at which it happens, which is surely when you want to stop it rather than merely preventing future cases (and even then only from that official - to be clear, corruption in Chinese football is incredibly widespread as I understand it. It's not just a case of villifying one of two referees). This particularly true in key fixtures - title deciders, key qualifying matches, knockout stages of cup competitions etc. etc.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"As for goal-line decisions, they could be made easier to call by giving a gentle backwards incline to that part of the pitch inside the goalmouth, angling the ball into the net."
Would be good unless the keeper needed to step behind his line at any point to make a save.

"remember the notorious incident of Spurs being denied a goal at Old Trafford some years back, Roy Carroll reaching way over the line to grab at the ball. maybe some people at United (perhaps Mr Carroll) should have got what they deserved (to paraphrase M_B) after this case, but IIRC nothing ever happened. say a fifth official or whatever keeping tabs on these specific sorts of things (which are pretty rare, after all), i don't know, but there doesn't seem to be anything too wrong w that."
Didn't someone (Reading?) get knocked out of the cup in similar circumstances? It's that kind of all or nothing result that makes a mockery of the "it all evens out over the season" bollocks that people come out with.

mixed_biscuits

I think there would be one game-changing consequence of using video replays to judge offsides: live marginal offside calls would be rendered obsolete as everybody would have to play on in order to see 'what would have happened,' with the final word always going to the couch potato in his panopticon. If not, there would be an unjustifiable asymmetry between incorrect negative calls and incorrect positive ones (justice could only be done in the former case).

One would expect half of these phase-exhausting continuations to be scratched - significant swathes of a match could be taken up by action that 'didn't happen.' This would be completely ridiculous.

A better solution to the issue might be to remove the offside rule, as hockey has.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I think there would be one game-changing consequence of using video replays to judge offsides: live marginal offside calls would be rendered obsolete as everybody would have to play on in order to see 'what would have happened,' with the final word always going to the couch potato in his panopticon. If not, there would be an unjustifiable asymmetry between incorrect negative calls and incorrect positive ones (justice could only be done in the former case).
One would expect half of these phase-exhausting continuations to be scratched - significant swathes of a match could be taken up by action that 'didn't happen.' This would be completely ridiculous."
Well, if the decision could be made in half a second as the technology companies are claiming I don't really see a huge problem - often it takes that long for the linesman to raise his flag anyway. In general though I reckon offside is more complicated to solve than the over the line thing.

"Another thing that might help would be to make the crossbar a triangular prism, with the hypotenuse facing inwards."
What if there was a curved shot from wide that swerved over the line and back out without ever touching the ground, the bar or the roof of the net?

mixed_biscuits

Am I the only person irritated by reference to the 'back of the net' when, properly said, it is the 'front of the back of the net.'

Similarly, commentators should refrain from referring to the 'roof of the net' when they mean its 'ceiling.'

Yours, P. Dant

bandshell

Grand High Witch
Casillas is looking very shakey. That scooped save was dreadful. He's been lucky so far. Spain need to use the flanks more. Portugal have so many men back that to go through the centre is almost impossible. I reckon Spain could easily pick them apart though. Xavi and Iniesta will hopefully find a way through.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Re the corruption thing, one would imagine that instead of bribing the refs, people would just bribe the video official.

Am I the only person irritated by reference to the 'back of the net' when, properly said, it is the 'front of the back of the net.'

Similarly, commentators should refrain from referring to the 'roof of the net' when they mean its 'ceiling.'

Yours, P. Dant

I'm not holding my breath for football pundits to get on top of semantics any time soon.

Spain/Portugal is an entertaining enough game so far, although it's not the fiery encounter I had expected. Hopefully either Spain get their act together for the second half, or Portugal sort out their finishing and the pace will pick up a little.

Had my first ever go at betting last night, opened a Ladbrokes account and stuck a fiver in and got 4x £5 bets free. Got a tidy £40 from a £5 bet on Brazil winning 3-0, chucked a couple of other bets on 2-1 and an outsider on Chile going through just in case. Placed my last two bets on Spain 2-1 and Spain 3-1 tonight, so I'd actually much rather Spain got their act together in this coming half :D

EDIT: 2 posts since I started writing, it's like a chatroom in here come half time.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jun/29/cheating-football-germany-goalkeeper

This made me laugh out loud. Of course, no English players would ever do the same. Those no-good foreigners....as opposed to the ethical approach of our very own Robbie Fowler!

After the match, Neuer gave this account of his actions: "I tried not to react to the referee and just concentrate on what was happening. I realised it was over the line and I think the way I carried on so quickly fooled the referee into thinking it was not over."

To put it bluntly: Neuer cheated, and then boasted about it.

How is this any more acceptable than Henry's handball against Ireland?

cobretti

torres was DREADFUL this evening. what is up with him?

He didn't play very well at all after that first shot on goal at the beginning did he? One of my mates reckons it's down to the change of hair, maybe similar to Giggs's drop in form when he got his bangs cut in the 90s - aye right. For the next game I think they'd be better starting with Llorente, he seemed to make much more trouble of himself, and if need be they could bring Torres on late in the game as his style of taking defenders 1-on-1 etc would likely be much more effective against tired a tired defence. He'd definitely stand a better chance of getting past weary players, not being at full fitness himself.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Glad Spain went through, I like their style. Going by stylishness I hope them or Argentina win the whole thing

cobretti

Also quite disheartening to see yet another player in Ronaldo not getting the service they deserve. Portugal seem to be in a rut similar to the one Holland found themselves in during the last decade, forever playing as less than the sum of their parts. At least they don't compound their problems with constant infighting I guess.

mixed_biscuits

But then, as the BBC pundits made out, as long as the morally superior ticky-tacky Spanish war of attrition can continue to be waged, none of that matters.

mixed_biscuits

Being beaten by Spain is death by a thousand cuts. They're not on the same plane as Brazil or Argentina.

And regarding the pundits' post-match views, they completely undermine their apparently fervent belief in justice (by technology or not).