Enough of sea sick synths

Status
Not open for further replies.

mos dan

fact music
i dont fancy it if blackdown has trim backing him, but then again i could maybe get t. williams to give jon e cash a call.

as i say tho, i nicked it off dan hancox so it's a three-way if anything.

i've got neutrino on my team, who - be warned - might stab himself in the leg "cos i'm fucking crazy like that"

djbraiden

using non-seasick/wonky synths is what makes much of the dullest of dub techno, liquid d&b, chill out etc so safe and dull.

NOPE

bygraves_duhduhh.jpg

Elijah

Butterz
it was that middle class white boy Elijah

i worked at kfc for 2 years when i was a teen
it was madness, so many of the staff were loons, the free bits at the end of the night were a blessing though.

I used Grime to work my way into high society

tom lea

Man, synths with wonky pitch have been around for years and years. Is it really such a big trend at the mo?
yeah thats what i meant by my first post.

there are a few people around doing tracks where the synths rock from side to side, like on citizens dub, but only a few really, not enough to make it some big trend.

thats kind of how i interpret the sea-sick thing anyway. black sun isnt like that for me, it's just a track where the synths are a bit off-kilter, like say samiyam's stuff. millions of tracks like that. black sun was influencial but more because it was a dubstep guy doing stuff at 130bpm.

bob effect

somnambulist
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"It is a well-known fact that there is not a single human being, rich or poor, that does not like fried chicken. You're more likely lying if you say you don't like it."
Never ate it until recently but, yeah, turns out it's really nice. And cheap. Been missing out on it for a whole life time which I guess is good 'cause I got a lot of catching up to do.

PhilBrown

"using non-seasick/wonky synths is what makes much of the dullest of dub techno, liquid d&b, chill out etc so safe and dull."

this right here is one of the most absurd statements i've ever read...

so , if for example we were to look at a totally stock, derivative dub techno tune ..... the reason for it being "safe and dull" is down to it not employing production techniques that you personally feel are where its at right now... .... and nothing to do with the fact that said stock dub techno tune is merely a poorly executed rip off... ? or the fact that the very notion of an entire genre dedicated to ripping on basic channel is pathetic? or that rhythmically, the average BC rip off is totally feeble..... ??? errr oh wait if we just crowbar in a zomby esque synth spazz sound over the top it would suddenly be totally edgy and not dull?? forget the fact that such synthwork would sound horribly jarring over the genres you mentioned.:slanted::slanted::slanted::slanted::slanted:

...i'd argue that using sounds that are being hammered by everyone and their dog just dates a piece of music massivley....

what is a "non wonky synth" anyway?? after i route the LFO to pitch.. should i make a point of making sure said modulation is up past 50% ??? is tha wonky enough? i am so baffled.... unstable/pitch bent/heavily modulated/neon/weeping synth work has been and still is present in so much music beyond your little dubstep/grime/rinse fm /fwd bubble.... and not nesc in a good way either;ironically enough i can think of shitloads of dull as dishwater tech house tunes that employ claude von stroke style pitch bent bleepy bloopy leads, out of time percussion and detuned synth washes,,...

what about loveless by my bloody valentine... lots of discordant yet lush sounds swirling around on that LP... is it wonky??

i hate this term so much. at least "sea sick synth" is a more specific term... referring to pitch modulation//.... and not some sort of made up nonsense genre.... uuuughhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.