Hip Hop '11

luka

i like my rappers to look good. i think gucci mane looks good. waka obviously. rick ross looks fantastic and i think gunplay looks really good too. theyve all got a good visual presnce

rubberdingyrapids

writing on the wall 2 has some of the best beats of the year imo. not sure how commanding gucci is to be honest, but hes a decent, if not exactly imposing presence. but hey, great taste in production.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Nah I've converted the the church of Gunplay. I didn't give him a fair chance before because I thought he was just a cokehead swastika tattoo sporting weed carrier goonbag. After being pointed in the direction of ''Mask On'' and ''Rollin'' I DL'd ''Inglorious Bastards'' and its really good, and now I'm downloading ''Off Safety'' too.

''amongst wolves, mum sent me out, never sold my soul but the devil rent me out / I continue - on the road to success / where it lead, where it go? - who's guess? / two V.O.P's(?) crackers never let me rest, but one hit record I'll be flying from the nest / Look at that Phantom, look at that Jag! / ILLULMINATI AIN'T LOOKING THAT BAD!''

that's the best illuminati related line I've heard from a rapper in a hot minute, possibly ever. He's technically really strong and has so much vocal (and, as luka points out visual) character.

I've been listening to that K.R.I.T. album a little today. The beats are really good and he raps well, about interesting subjects (that tune ''I don't wanna be another nigga'' for example) but I dunno, I just don't get excited listening to him really. I'm gonna persist with it, though, cos I know luka rates it and he has good taste. I really love his beats for ''Rob Me A Nigga'', ''Money on the Floor'' and ''Parked Outside''.

Soraya

Anyone listened to that Waka Flocka x French Montana mixtape yet? On first scan I really like "Plane Tickets" () because it's catchy in a nice Waka way. I also enjoy "We Mobb" featuring Prodigy (), refreshing to hear Waka rap over a more mellow Mobb instrumental rather than the heavy Lugerian trap shit. Alas, I haven't listened closely yet and I don't really have an opinion yet on the entity. Kind of lost track of how much Waka has put out in 2011, will collect everything soon to go through it but my fav Flocka jam this year is "Tyler Perry" off LFJ 3 I think.

Last edited:

luka

i swear that tape (waka/french) only come out yesterday? i downloaded it but i got a job. i havent had time to listen yet.

rubberdingyrapids

those beats are too spare for waka i think.

ive heard undun a few times now - i almost want it to just be an album of classical pieces, or split between the two. cos it seems like theres barely enough rapping. it seems to be 65% instrumental.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm more interested in the new Ross record but that's been pushed back after the whole seizure on a plane thing.

And supposedly this Common + No ID album is good. I don't really care about Common or Nas but this is a good tune:

CrowleyHead

Will never care about new Jeezy, or old Jeezy, or "I Wanna Be Trick Daddy" Jeezy. I've realized that Jeezy is a lot like Tupac for me. I can't stand them, but there are dudes who took his style, ran with it, and developed it far beyond his limitations and stupid one-dimensional personality. Best example would be T.I.'s "What You Know", which is taking the Wright Brothers Airplane model of Jeezy's shtick, and turning it into a rocket to space.

Common still can't rap to a beat, and the new single sounds like an even more pandering sycophantic version of Lupe's "Words I Never Said". You lot in England should pull an illuminati-type assassination of Alex da Kid in the journalism community. You'd all get medals, even if Interscope would demand your immediate hanging.

Krit is boring, both production-wise and rapping wise. I really don't see any value to him.

GUNPLAY IS HIS IMPERIAL MAJESTY.

I still haven't heard the Flocka x French thing, but it contains a high amount of NYC thug rap, which I know Waka secretly loves. And my continued obsession with Flocka over breaks needs to be satiated.

On stuff you guys aren't checking, maybe y'all should check out Khalil Nova's mixtape? Basically imagine Spaceghostpurrrp, if Purrrp was a 17 year old kid who was trapped in his bedroom with nothing but Chicken Talk-era Gucci and old Final Fantasy Emulators to keep him company. It's not SUBSTANTIAL in any way, but it's fun (for me).

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Listening to Blue Dream and Lean. I'm glad he got this out in time before the year end because now there can be no question that he won 2011.

CrowleyHead

Listening to Blue Dream and Lean. I'm glad he got this out in time before the year end because now there can be no question that he won 2011.

Vehemently disagree. The Juicy J solo career, while initially fun, is a fucking farce, and I hope that solo record flops so he can just get to doing a proper 3-6 reunion.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Don't quite get the fuss over ''Niggas In Paris''. I've never been much of a Kanye fan, though, and Jay-Z is (was) great but will never be a God(Hova) to me. He's past it, anyway. The beat's good, I suppose, and it has those little phrases that lodge in your head (''that shit cray''). I'm hearing its getting played 6/7 times IN A ROW on the ''Watch The Throne'' tour, though. Maybe I need to hear it louder, since ''Watch The Throne'' has been dubbed ''stadium rap''. The only tune I really liked on ''Watch The Throne'' was ''No Church In The Wild'', which does sound genuinely quite epic.

I am toying with putting ''Look At Me Now'' on my list because its pretty undeniable but on the other hand I want Chris Brown violently dead.

Good list, though, as expected, will have to listen to what I haven't heard yet later... ''Bickin Back Bein Bool'' is tremendous, for starters. TRE-MENDOUS.

GUNPLAYMix_531111.jpg

^ this has jumped easily into my top 10 mixtapes of the year after only one listen ^

Also have been listening to Starlito's ''Ultimate Warrior'' over the last few days. There are a fair few below-par/disposable tracks on it (it's 22 tracks though, give or take) but also a lot of good/greatness. Once you get used to his weird groaning throat-cancer voice you realise he's a pretty great rapper. He reminds me of King Louie, who is also v. pretty great. Don Trip is good, too, actually, although I still find something about his voice/flow very generic, in the post-Wayne/Kanye era.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Another one for Luka's ''Dance/Rap'' thread.

Really like that G-Side tune (that's another album I need to/haven't checked). The Kendrick Lamar jawn features impressive rapping. Riff Raff ''Larry Bird'' is raw if you close your eyes/minimise video window.

I might ignore the rest of the list cos its getting harder to do a list of my own with each passing list I read. I have to do one cos it's all about the lists not the benjamins.

jimitheexploder

Really into that Starlito tape, he's got one called #UW – Separation Anxiety from this year too which is pretty solid. Not as hype as Ultimate Warrior though, more breaks and all that.

jimitheexploder

That Dapper Don track is well fun.

Anyone remember when Dot Rotten tryed something simular on a Daft Punk track?

Not as bad as I remembered it tbh.