Hip Hop '11

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I LOVE this E-40 tune from the Noz list. What else should I be checking from him?

Both the albums he put out this year in his Revenue Retrievin series: Overtime Shift and Graveyard Shift. Severely slept on. They are both brilliant.

Will never care about new Jeezy, or old Jeezy, or "I Wanna Be Trick Daddy" Jeezy. I've realized that Jeezy is a lot like Tupac for me. I can't stand them, but there are dudes who took his style, ran with it, and developed it far beyond his limitations and stupid one-dimensional personality. Best example would be T.I.'s "What You Know", which is taking the Wright Brothers Airplane model of Jeezy's shtick, and turning it into a rocket to space.

Common still can't rap to a beat, and the new single sounds like an even more pandering sycophantic version of Lupe's "Words I Never Said". You lot in England should pull an illuminati-type assassination of Alex da Kid in the journalism community. You'd all get medals, even if Interscope would demand your immediate hanging.

Krit is boring, both production-wise and rapping wise. I really don't see any value to him.

GUNPLAY IS HIS IMPERIAL MAJESTY.

I still haven't heard the Flocka x French thing, but it contains a high amount of NYC thug rap, which I know Waka secretly loves. And my continued obsession with Flocka over breaks needs to be satiated.

On stuff you guys aren't checking, maybe y'all should check out Khalil Nova's mixtape? Basically imagine Spaceghostpurrrp, if Purrrp was a 17 year old kid who was trapped in his bedroom with nothing but Chicken Talk-era Gucci and old Final Fantasy Emulators to keep him company. It's not SUBSTANTIAL in any way, but it's fun (for me).

did you actually just compare young jeezy to 2pac??????? whats next, comparing britney spears to arethra franklin???

luka

no one in the uk liked tupac until he died. then they only liked him cos he looks so pretty and long lashed on the posters, pouting with his top off. its all very homoerotic the cult of tupac.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I like the Slaughterhouse stuff

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

and their BET thing

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I'm glad they signed to Shady, I like all of them.

CrowleyHead

did you actually just compare young jeezy to 2pac??????? whats next, comparing britney spears to arethra franklin???

I'm comparing two terrible rappers to each other, so the Britney/Aretha metaphor is a bit much.

What's weird is I'm OVER Boosie (Yes, great persona, but as a rapper, nothing incredibly fun), but I'm witnessing so many of my favorite rappers are guys who are copying Boosie. So that's copying Boosie, who copies Pac.... THREE GENERATIONS of archtype modeling!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
2pac and Jeezy = two great rappers to listen to when drunk.

''YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH''

and

''Ride on my eneMIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES''

Obviously Max B is the king of rappers to listen to when drunk. Waka too. ALL OF THEM.

(I'm drunk.)

Seriously though, I take luka's point about 2pac completely but I still love a lot of PAC(I FEEL LIKE I KNEW HIM NAHMEAN)'s music - Hail Mary, No More Pain, You Can't C Me etc. He wasn't lyrically all that but neither was Snoop in his heyday. It's more about style and presence to me.

Jeezy is great in small doses as far as I'm concerned. He sounds so fundamentally humourless and lifeless that it can get wearying listening to more than a few tunes. I will ride on my eneMIEEEEEEEEES for ''Trap Or Die'', ''Gangsta Music'' and ''Blow My Mind''... his ad-libs are legendary.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
crowley give me your top 10 rappers current or otherwise

I want to get inside your head

because I'm drunk

X

CrowleyHead

Hmmm. Okay, in no order.

Cage
Cam'ron
Danny Brown (Yeah, he fucking rose that far for me)
Rakim
The D.O.C. (This is an involved one; technically, he's the ghostwriter for Eazy and Dre on a lot of the N.W.A. records, as well as every Dre verse on Chronic. But the 1st solo album is an undeniable classic)
Wiley
Ol' Dirty Bastard
Too Poetic
LL Cool J
Kool Keith

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I used to be such a cage fanboy. It was an embarassing period in my life. I wrote ''54'' in my homework diary, a lot. I memorised the lyrics to ''Agent Orange'' (still a classic). I posted on the cage kennelz forums, which was populated by white nerds acting out their misogynist psychopath fantasies.

The worst part is - I LIKED THE HIGH AND MIGHTY.

In retrospect, I fucking HATE Mr. Eon.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Rakim
Snoop
Max B
Gucci Mane
Ras Kass
Redman
Notorious B.I.G.
Jay-Z
Nas
Ghostface

That's not actually my top 10, but its my drunk off the top of the head top 10

Let is stand

I can't vote for Eminem on principle. Some verses though.

I'm listening to Gunplay, ruinously drunk - HE IS THE TRUTH.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Hmmm. Okay, in no order.

Cage
Cam'ron
Danny Brown (Yeah, he fucking rose that far for me)
Rakim
The D.O.C. (This is an involved one; technically, he's the ghostwriter for Eazy and Dre on a lot of the N.W.A. records, as well as every Dre verse on Chronic. But the 1st solo album is an undeniable classic)
Wiley
Ol' Dirty Bastard
Too Poetic
LL Cool J
Kool Keith

how rude of me, I didn't engage

Cam and ODB are legendary. Kool Keith I respect more than like. LL Cool J - great, obviously, but never listen to his music. (But then - I voted for REDMAN! and Jay-Z lol)... I don't even know who Too Poetic.

I wish I was in a room with luka you and some others, drinking vodka and youtube clashing. F'REAL.

luka

i'll clash you on youtube anyday corspey. send for me and i will put the black suit on.

luka

on of the reasons i like crowley is how eccentric his taste is. also how unfashionable.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I WILL MAKE IT A RED SUIT, LUKE.

Speaking of Eon/Eminem... listen to the way Eminem makes Eon look like a donkey here.

As a self-hating white I cannot endorse Eminem guiltlessly, but listen to this... he makes a drab high and mighty tune worth listening to.

Lyrical fireworks. Very shallow and ephemeral, but thrilling.